RichardCollmorgen

Adding initials to a saddle

I've been asked to add initials to a ruff out saddle. Anybody have any tips for carving initials into a ruff out saddle? I was going to practice on some leather scraps.

Richard,

I have both stamped and carved lettering into roughout trophy saddles a little bit. The big key for me was to get a good amount of moisture into the leather to get deep pentration. Then do the work when it was more to the dry side than maybe you would would if you were working on the grain side. This was one of those places I think ProCarve really was my friend.

I have letter carved fenders on trophy saddles, with roughout. I do all the lettering layout on mylar that semi transperent tracing paper,getting everything centered and spelled correctly, have my customer approve it before I start cutting with a swivel knife. Lay the mylar on the cased fenders and trace the letters with a stylis. I do all my beveling on the inside of the letters, I think it makes for a clean refined appearence, and applying the dye to letters is easier, less chance of goof up with the dye.

Richard,

if you aren't using a leather that was factory buffed on the flesh side, I'd sand the area to be carved to as smooth as you can working your way down to a fine grit paper. It'll allow your carving to show up crisper; if you sand after you carve, it can sometimes make it look a bit mottled.

Darcy

Thanks for the tips guys. That's what makes this forum so good for beginners like me.

Richard

As "removable" initals I made these to fasten with the conchos on the back jockey.

PICT0027.JPG

It might be an idea if its not possible to carve the saddle.

Gesa

post-130-126013642197_thumb.jpg

Gesa,

I'll show that to my friend. She wants to change out the conchos as well so that may be an option.

Everyone,

I recently got the ingredients for the casing solution that everyone talks about on the forum. If I use that to case a small area for the initials will it discolor it at all? Should I just use pure water? Bruce mentioned ProCarve. Is there much difference between it and the homemade casing solution?

Thanks,

Richard