Sign in to follow this  
particle

Need help picking a machine

After the birth of our 3rd (and final...) baby, we have decided it's no longer financially feasible for momma to work. So, I'm needing to find a way to bring in some extra money. I used to have a Consew 206RB that I used to sew leather rifle rests, but sold it a while back when the rifle rests weren't selling and we were about to sell our house. Big mistake... Should have kept it!

Anyway, now I'm looking for a machine that will stitch up holsters, belts, and stuff like that, and won't break the bank!! I really like the Boss, but unless I can find one for around $500-600, they're out of my price range. Well, I don't really have a price range, but like I said - momma's staying home, and we have 3 kids to feed on one income...

What type of machine should I search for that can easily sew two layers of 8/9 oz. leather? I was never sure if the Consew 206RB was really appropriate for that.

Edited by particle

What type of machine should I search for that can easily sew two layers of 8/9 oz. leather? I was never sure if the Consew 206RB was really appropriate for that.

I have a Japanese made "National" 306N walking foot machine, that is very similar to the Consew 206RB, which I use to sew up to 3/8" of vegtan or harness leather together, using #138 bonded nylon thread and a #22 leatherpoint needle (135x16). It routinely sews 5/16" of chrome-tan leather for hours at a time. I have also sewn a tad over 3/8" of harness leather with #T210 (v207) bonded nylon thread on the top and bottom, using a #24 leatherpoint needle, relaxed bobbin tension, increased top tension and a heavy duty pressor foot set to apply pressure evenly. This stitching must be done slowly, with a small pulley on the motor and a soft touch with your foot on the floor pedal.

It helps to have a gear reduction servo motor, like the SewPro 500GR installed. You can get used machines like this, equipped with that very motor, from Bob Kovar, at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397).

IMG_1327.jpg

post-11118-126032995708_thumb.jpg

Thanks Wizcrafts! I appreciate the info. I'm kicking myself for selling mine.

Thanks Wizcrafts! I appreciate the info. I'm kicking myself for selling mine.

particle, yes your Consew 206 would have done the job and I'm sorry for your misfortune regarding that machine, however the machine that Wizcrafts has will work just as well, and like he says, call Bob if you need parts or used equipment. Thanks, Steve

Particle:

Do you plan to sew heavier with the machine? Will you ever go over 3/8" thick with it. If so, then you may need to look into a bigger machine. The prices on these machines are now lower than ever. If you need used, there are also some good deals on used equipment if you know where to look.

Particle if i were you i would get the heaviest sewing cylinder arm machine with the deepest throat i could i could swing. I've been down the road were i never will need anything that will sew anything thicker than what ever and boy was ever sorry. I had to borrow the money to get mine but it was the best money i ever spent.

My wife and I have been going over this very question. I was sold on the Consew206rb (or similar) route, but decided I'd rather have something that could handle thicker thread. The Boss is appealing right now, being that it's on sale, but the throat depth has me a little worried.

I posted my latest holster for sale on my state's CHL message board, and got very good feedback and interest in my holster. One buy was even willing to hand over his $1,400 (MSRP) revolver to build a holster for it. That being said, my wife sees the potential to make a little money at this hobby, and is willing to spend a little more.

It would be a stretch for us, but I think we could consider spending up to about $1,500. Still aren't sure how much all of our doctor bills are going to be for the new baby, so we're reluctant. But, if anyone knows of a good machine for less than $1,500 that would serve me well for holsters, belts, possibly some bags in the future, lemme know...

My wife and I have been going over this very question. I was sold on the Consew206rb (or similar) route, but decided I'd rather have something that could handle thicker thread. The Boss is appealing right now, being that it's on sale, but the throat depth has me a little worried.

I posted my latest holster for sale on my state's CHL message board, and got very good feedback and interest in my holster. One buy was even willing to hand over his $1,400 (MSRP) revolver to build a holster for it. That being said, my wife sees the potential to make a little money at this hobby, and is willing to spend a little more.

It would be a stretch for us, but I think we could consider spending up to about $1,500. Still aren't sure how much all of our doctor bills are going to be for the new baby, so we're reluctant. But, if anyone knows of a good machine for less than $1,500 that would serve me well for holsters, belts, possibly some bags in the future, lemme know...

Check the sewing machines for sale list on the board. Guy has a Boss for sale like new for $900. Bellieve he had some accessories. The narrow throat really isn't a problem for holsters. Is handy to at least have a left foot.

Particle:

Do you plan to sew heavier with the machine? Will you ever go over 3/8" thick with it. If so, then you may need to look into a bigger machine. The prices on these machines are now lower than ever. If you need used, there are also some good deals on used equipment if you know where to look.

I could foresee myself going over 3/8" if I ever decide to make knife sheaths. There is a Consew206rb-5 for sale close to me, but I'm not sure it'll handle thick enough thread for nice looking stitching on holsters... It's $650, plus I'd still need to add a servo motor and speed reducer.

I could foresee myself going over 3/8" if I ever decide to make knife sheaths. There is a Consew206rb-5 for sale close to me, but I'm not sure it'll handle thick enough thread for nice looking stitching on holsters... It's $650, plus I'd still need to add a servo motor and speed reducer.

The Consew 206, if it is an original, Japanese Seiko and not a Chinese clone (Consew is importing clones in many models), should take 207 out of the box. We have adjusted them to work with 277 on top, but you need to be familiar with the machine. The price is fair. A new Seiko STH-8BLD-3 (Same as Consew 206RB) on motor stand is about $1,300.

Edited by CampbellRandall