mayasleca

ancient saddles

Some time back I saw a photo of a very old Spanish or Mexican saddle with long horse tail hair attached to the back of the saddle. The book has since dissappeared somewhere inside of the public library, & I cannot find anything like that one on the internet. So, I joined this forum in hopes of learning something... anything... about such a saddle... Has anyone here seen such a one??

Some time back I saw a photo of a very old Spanish or Mexican saddle with long horse tail hair attached to the back of the saddle. The book has since dissappeared somewhere inside of the public library, & I cannot find anything like that one on the internet. So, I joined this forum in hopes of learning something... anything... about such a saddle... Has anyone here seen such a one??

Are you sure it was a horse tail attached ? I have seen pics of saddles with long angora goat hair saddlebags attached to the back of the saddle.

/ Knut

Are you sure it was a horse tail attached ? I have seen pics of saddles with long angora goat hair saddlebags attached to the back of the saddle.

/ Knut

Yes. I've seen several saddles with angora bags on the side; this one is clearly horse tail hair (not a whole tail though), & it's on the back, not the sides. There was reference to it in the caption as well, but I can't remember exactly what was said.

Do you remember the name of the book ?

I finally found the book, the library took all their over-sized books off the shelves where they'd previously taken up residence, & created a new, "Oversize" section. The book is "Fine Art Of The West", by Byron B. Price. And, I apparently had mixed 2 different saddles up in my mind. One was a Texas-style stock saddle, c. 1840-60, with horsehair anquera; from the Fleischer Collection, Scottsdale. The other being a Mexican saddle by Pedro Una & Son of Puebla, Mexico, with saddle bags trimmed with padded flower design. The type of anquera on the Texas-style saddle was called a "duck tail" anquera.

I must find that book! Thank´s ! My big interest is old time saddles!

/ Knut

TO THE PERSON LOOKING FOR THE BOOK. I DON'T HAVE THE TITLE OF THE BOOK, BUT I DO HAVE A PICTURE FOR YOU !!! IT IS A "CREME DE LA CREME" PICTURE !! IT IS THE OLD MEXICAN SADDLE WITH 4 FOOT LONG "HAIRY" SADDLE BAGS !! AND QUESS WHO IT BELONGED TO. ? EMPERIOR MAXIMILIAN OF MEXICO !! IT IS A BEAUTIFUL SADDLE, AND I LOVE IT MYSELF !!! IT IS GOING UP FOR AUCTION ON JANUARY 30TH. YOU CAN SEE THE PICTURE OF THIS SADDLE AT www.highnoon.com

GOOD LUCK !!

MPadilla

Edited by MPadilla