Well, I had a scrap piece of leather that wasn't large enough (or good enough) for holsters, so I thought I'd find something to practice my skills with. After a bit of searching, I decided to try my hand at coasters. These are 8/9oz. Oak Leaf from Tandy, dyed with Eco-Flo, antiqued with brown shoe polish from Walgreens, and sealed with American Accents clear Krylon. I tested the Krylon on a scrap piece, and dripped a few drops of water on it about 30 minutes after spraying - protected the leather 100% with no penetration, and the finish has a nice satin look to it - no obnoxious gloss!

I need to work on the consistency of my basket weave overlap, and upgrade a couple of the tools to get a cleaner impression, but I would appreciate any and all comments ya'll can provide. Many thanks to CitizenKate for her guidance via PM and inspiration in her excellent Etsy product line.

736241703_BrfrG-XL.jpg

These are very nice indeed! The thought that hit me is that I had forgotten that coasters could be square too. Now that;s what I call thinking outside of the Rounder! :notworthy: A sweet way to use the scrap pieces. Thanks for the Krylon tip too.

Storm 

Those look really nice!! Been thinking about making some from scraps as well, hopefully mine turn out that good!

I had just been asked the other day to do a set of coasters, thanks for the inspiration! Kudos for the tip too.

Nice looking coasters, particle! Great way to use up smaller pieces.

Kate

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm not sure the Krylon clear is a good option. I just tried bending a scrap/test piece, and the clear finish cracked pretty badly. And I'm not sure how much adhesion I'm really getting over the previous layer of shoe polish and/or Eco-Flo.

So, the question I have is this - what is a good, flexible, waterproof sealer for the final finishing coat for coasters?

Would warming the coaster, then brushing it with melted beeswax be a good option?

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm not sure the Krylon clear is a good option. I just tried bending a scrap/test piece, and the clear finish cracked pretty badly. And I'm not sure how much adhesion I'm really getting over the previous layer of shoe polish and/or Eco-Flo.

So, the question I have is this - what is a good, flexible, waterproof sealer for the final finishing coat for coasters?

Would warming the coaster, then brushing it with melted beeswax be a good option?

Probably not a good idea with the melted beeswax. That would be the same as Aussie Conditioner. Which helps protect but by no means is it water PROOF. I would try Deft.... this is a wood finish available in hardware stores in gloss, satin, or flat. Apply very sparingly with a cloth. You don't want to build up a thick coat.... you want the small amount that you apply to soak in. It can be thinned a bit to facilitate this.

Nice coasters. Well done.

Dave

Edited by David

I use Fiebings Saddle Lac on most of my stuff and I find it works great for bouth waterproofing and has a nice finish.

I would try Deft.... this is a wood finish available in hardware stores in gloss, satin, or flat. Apply very sparingly with a cloth. You don't want to build up a thick coat.... you want the small amount that you apply to soak in. It can be thinned a bit to facilitate this.

I tried this recently, and I love the stuff! Putting it on in a couple of very light coats leaves the leather flexible without cracking, looking natural, and it's even impervious to hot coffee.

Kate

I tried this recently, and I love the stuff! Putting it on in a couple of very light coats leaves the leather flexible without cracking, looking natural, and it's even impervious to hot coffee.

Kate

I have looked for this stuff and cant find it. Could you guys tell me what store you buy it at because I know Home depot carries things that Lowes doesnt and Vice Versa. Thanks for any input.

First thing I thought when I saw the picture was that they look like they have some of the Kate Dubiel style going on. They look great, classy and clean.

Thanks ClayB - I love Kate's work. She gave me a couple tips via PM, though I still have a LOT to learn. Her work on her Etsy site was, without a doubt, a source of inspiration. I don't have very many tools - just the basic kit stuff, but still had a lot of fun practicing with this little exercise. I wasn't sure if you were referring to CitizenKate, so I Googled Kate Dubiel - I had no idea she'd written a book!! I might have to track that one down... Thanks again for all the feedback. I can't wait to try my hand at another set and give the Deft a try, and see if I can come up with some new designs.

I have looked for this stuff and cant find it. Could you guys tell me what store you buy it at because I know Home depot carries things that Lowes doesnt and Vice Versa. Thanks for any input.

Tim, so far I have found it at Ace Hardware and Home Depot.

Kate

Ditto on Home Depot here in TX