RunningRoan

Modifying round punches to make scalloped border?

I like the look of this scalloped border:

Cody_haler_close_md-505x346.jpg

and want to try it on some of my projects.

I'm thinking the best way to achieve the tiny scallop is to modify some round punches...cut off half of the punch so it only cuts a half circle instead of a full circle? Correct?

So how do I modify the punches? I have zero experience working with metal, but I have access to a drill press. Or does the proper tool already exist and I can just buy some?

I have modified a couple of round punches on a belt grinder, but I think you can find pinking irons on tha market, both new and old ones.

/ knut

I just use a grinder and half of the punch off. But weaver sells half round punches as well. I know others do to just dont know who.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Thanx for the compliment! If you look closely you'll see there are actually 2 accent colors under the silver spots.. : )

Cody_haler_close_md-505x346.jpg

and want to try it on some of my projects.

I'm thinking the best way to achieve the tiny scallop is to modify some round punches...cut off half of the punch so it only cuts a half circle instead of a full circle? Correct?

So how do I modify the punches? I have zero experience working with metal, but I have access to a drill press. Or does the proper tool already exist and I can just buy some?

In my humble opinion, go on ebay and get a set of the cheap punches. Take them to your bench grinder to make your scalloped punches. They are good enough for that but don't cost a lot in case you ruin one.

Like the others have said get a cheap punch and grind it off. Check it as you grind on a piece of scrap leather so you can see what the plinked looks like. I've done it and it's not hard to do.

Or, rather than trying to modify a tool when you really don't have the skills or the equipment to do that, you might try looking for an existing tool that will do what you want.

For this purpose, I suggest taking a look at woodcarving chisels. They come in a variety of shapes, including some that are pretty close to half round, if not perfectly so. They also come in more shallow arcs that also might make nice border effects.

These tools are plenty sharp enough for cutting through leather, can take being hit with a mallet, work very nicely on leather and don't involve trying to convert one tool into another.

Does anyone know where I can find leather scalloping punches for cutting out scalloped edges in light leather?

52 minutes ago, Sattendorn said:

Does anyone know where I can find leather scalloping punches for cutting out scalloped edges in light leather

For light leather (chrome tan? upholstery or garment leather?) there are ready made half round (or the classic zig zig) pinking shears available in various sizes.

For the other stuff as I above I grind down full round punches.

I use ground-down round punches to make rosettes.  I used a wavy blade for a rotary knife to make a scalloped edge for chap fringe. They make zig zag blades too. Go to the quilting section of a fabric store. Quick and easy with good results.  I'll post a photo when I get to my main computer. --John

I like the idea of a woodcarving tool. I think a half-round gouge would last longer than a cheap punch that was ground down. And from the looks of it, you are going to be using it an awful lot if you are going to do those chaps!

Definitely the pinking shears would be faster if the leather weight isn't too heavy!

Thanks a bunch guys!

You can buy half-round punches;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Leather-Craft-1-2-Half-Round-Cutter-Punch-Strap-Belt-Wallet-End-Tool-5-50MM/323312729277?hash=item4b46f0bcbd:m:mpa_KCPXzrZ6VwzOP8DhEwA:rk:2:pf:0

I bought a selection of small sized ones of these for small strap ends. Now I have another use for them :)

You can also buy V shaped ones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-45mm-V-Shape-Leather-Craft-Half-Round-Cutter-Punch-Strap-Belt-Wallet-End-Tool/202409016977?hash=item2f20847e91:m:mOPQy0y0sWnXOo6L9vbWe-Q:rk:1:pf:0

I've not bought any of the V ones, just the round U ones. They do need sharpening when you get them

Buying a ready made half-round is cheaper and handier than buying a full round and grinding it down