David

Second Signature Seat

Hey,

I've just started the second of six seats that I'll be doing for a friend. I just finished the tooling on the front of this one today.

Dave

Signature Seat#2 pic#1.jpg

Signature Seat#2 pic#2.jpg

post-5652-126092959058_thumb.jpg

post-5652-126092960325_thumb.jpg

that is soo cool love your carvings

Dscott

Beautiful David! I'm crazy about your designs...can't wait to see the finished product!

Bobby

Beautiful work David! The art is primo as usual!!!!

Storm

Stunning as usual...dont you love the way tattoo flash translates to leatherwork!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement on this one.

I'll keep you posted of course.

Dave

David, that's the start of something fabulous! Can't wait to see the end result!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

wow....sooo clean looking. 1 question... what is the tool u have next to ur mallet

wow....sooo clean looking. 1 question... what is the tool u have next to ur mallet

Thanks for the compmliment.

The tool is a glassing tool from Barry King. It is used to compact and smooth the leather for tooling.

David

Ok, the front and rear tooling is complete and yesterday I tied the seat together as I start to lace it up.

I'm going to use chocolate color edge lacing to go with the stitching on the front. Let's hope I have enough of it,

I ordered additional lace yesterday from Jim Downey only to find out he's sold his business.... I sure hope the new owner gets my order in time to ship on Monday.

He told me that everyone who had ordered from him should get notification of the new owner in the mail soon.

No change in prices he tells me.

Dave

rsz_dsc_0001_071.jpg

rsz_dsc_0004_074.jpg

rsz_dsc_0003_073.jpg

post-5652-126123431204_thumb.jpg

post-5652-126123440266_thumb.jpg

post-5652-126123441473_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Noice! :thumbsup:

Thanks guy,

I appreciate your looking at the seat's progress.

Dave

Super cool seat!!

Did Jeff leave Sucker Punch and start a new shop on his own?

Super cool seat!!

Did Jeff leave Sucker Punch and start a new shop on his own?

I believe the sale of Sucker Punch to Christian Clayton occured several years ago. The bikes are now made in Scotsdale AZ.

dave

Absolutely outstanding David!

And it figures about Jim! As soon as I find a reliable source for quality lace, POOF! Gone.... I sure hope the prices stay reasonable!

Troy

Absolutely outstanding David!

And it figures about Jim! As soon as I find a reliable source for quality lace, POOF! Gone.... I sure hope the prices stay reasonable!

Troy

Troy,

I've been told that the new owner does a lot more shows than Jim did, will have a website for the lace and I HOPE will become a member here and advertise here.

The prices are supposed to be the same.

Dave

Edited by David

Your talent amazes me. I just wanted to ask you where you get your seat pans? And about how much do they cost?

Your talent amazes me. I just wanted to ask you where you get your seat pans? And about how much do they cost?

Thanks for taking a look at my seats. I get my seat pans from the original Sucker Punch Sallys. I think the retail price is about $75.

Dave

those fish have some attitude! incredibly contemporary feeling tooling. nice composition and styling, thanks for sharing

oliver

Dave the seat looks great ofcourse!! 1.) Could you let use new guys in on how the glass slicker works, what the benefits are and such? 2.) could you say a little something about the color edge lace? i've looked around for a few different laces and was just wondering about the lace your using, it seems to be thicker. are there any other laces that you use or would be ok to use on a seat? 3.) I've noticed that many people are doing the tooling like you have around your name on the bottom, is there a name for that technique and is it done with different sized seeders or what? Thanks Dave!!!!!!!!!

Dave the seat looks great ofcourse!! 1.) Could you let use new guys in on how the glass slicker works, what the benefits are and such? 2.) could you say a little something about the color edge lace? i've looked around for a few different laces and was just wondering about the lace your using, it seems to be thicker. are there any other laces that you use or would be ok to use on a seat? 3.) I've noticed that many people are doing the tooling like you have around your name on the bottom, is there a name for that technique and is it done with different sized seeders or what? Thanks Dave!!!!!!!!!

No problem tom.

1. The glass slicker is from Barry King and is a work of art, a beautiful tool. The edge of the glass is radiused front and back and there is a very slight curve from side to side on the glass..... really amazing quality. It is used to smooth the surface of the leather prior to carving and it also compacts the fibers of the hide. The smooth surface tools beautifully and the compacting is necessary if you happen to be using a hide that is "buttery soft". The technique is to case the leather and then pull the slicker over it, applying as much force as you can. Rotate the hide and repeat the process until you've done it 4-5 times and covered all the hide. Just running your hand over it will show you the difference. And no, the slicker does not leave streaks in your hide....that's because of the curved edge on the glass.

2. The color edge lacing, it is colored when manufactured and comes in a dozen or so colors, some really useful colors and some I would never consider using.. It is 1/4" wide and there is NOTHING that compares to kangaroo lace.

The lace came from Jim Downey, but Jim has retired and sold the business. As soon as I get the information on the new owners location, I will post it here. Hopefully the owner will begin advertising here.

3. If you are talking about the border on the large circle, that is a stamp by Barry King. If you are referring to the pebbling, that is a stamp by Pro Tools from Hide Crafters (tools PA003, PA004 and PA005). If you are talking about the rope border around my website, that is part of the name stamp by Grey Ghost Graphics.....

I hope that covers everything,

Thanks for taking a look,

Dave

Edited by David

Troy,

I've been told that the new owner does a lot more shows than Jim did, will have a website for the lace and I HOPE will become a member here and advertise here.

The prices are supposed to be the same.

Dave

I hope so! Happy Holidays!

All, Especially Troy......

The new lace company:

Y-Knot Lace

PO Box 2158

Kalispell, MT 59903

The proprietor's name is

Barb Sorenson

She works for Ron's Tool Company and will still continue to work for Ron and attend shows selling the tools and lace.

She should be receiving Jim's entire stock of lace some time this week or early next week. That means she'll have

23 different colors in 6 sizes.

I certainly wish Barb well in her endeavor.

David Theobald

Edited by David

Here is the finished seat.

Dave

rsz_dsc_0002_076.jpg

post-5652-126146134545_thumb.jpg