Sign in to follow this  
rgerbitz

looking for bracelet ideas

Hello all,

I am looking for some bracelet ideas. I made a very simple one for my wife and now my sisters and mother are crawling all over me to make them up something. I don't want to make them all the same thing. Does anyone have any different design ideas.

Thank you,

Rob

We don't know what you've done yet. Maybe a photo of what you have completed might help.

Hello all,

I am looking for some bracelet ideas. I made a very simple one for my wife and now my sisters and mother are crawling all over me to make them up something. I don't want to make them all the same thing. Does anyone have any different design ideas.

Thank you,

Rob

Rob,

I have done some that were just one strand with some buttons on them. I used 4 stringsof rawhide, start in the middle and after your 4 part strand is long enough for a loop double it and do an 8string round braid the rest of the length. Add whatever buttons suit you. I did some three strand ones also. Look one Nate Wald's website that where I got the idea.

Merry Christmas,

CW

Here's one mine...well kind of. I was looking for a way to make an alamar knot key chain and came up with a design similar to this bracelet. I thought I was so clever...LOL, until I was on ebay looking at something and happened to run into a horse hair key chain very similar to my key chain. Everything has been done before I guess. This isn't really an alamar knot, more like a Celtic knot, but it's more balanced than the alamar knot bracelets. I have a couple of others that include a full alamar knot if you like. Of course not everyone likes knots. If I remember correctly you use rawhide for the most part?? If that's the case you can order a bit of roo string and make it an interweave color. That would be nice.

celticbrace1sm.jpg

post-6663-126117339878_thumb.jpg

Edited by entiendo

Thats very nice.

I've never heard it by that name before. I know it as a carrick knot, which when done in sequence has been called a florentine knot by macrame artists.

Anyway, Theres a hundred knots that can be used as part of a centre piece or in sequence making up the whole bracelet.

We still need a better idea of what you are after rob.

bracelet.JPGHere is one that I have already made, and I am looking to do something similar.

Thank you

Rob

post-5521-126123368612_thumb.jpg

Okay, you obviously have no problems braiding then. so try these variations

- Do the same as above but cover in a five length pineapple or gaucho braid two tone to match the finishing knot

- Start with a double braid as shown, join into a single for the main bracelet body then split to two again. and cover the joints with gauchos or pineapples or what ever...

- Start with double braid loop but immediately join to a single, continue to finisheing knot

- Start with a double loop of two 6 strands and split to three four strands, join at finishing knot. cover joints with knots

- As above but join to three braids split after an inch join again an inch etc etc cover all joints with knots.

- Start with a doubled loop, join to one piece then expand it out to a flat braid join again cover the joints and add finishing knot.

- Start with a doubled loop, join to one piece then expand it out to aflat braid, either add a crocodile ridge braid or even edge braid through the braided flatness.

How are they suiting you?

Just what you have there but a 4 plait instead of a 6 and a long pineapple for centerpiece w/a Spanish ring or 4 bite gaucho on either side of the pineapple. This is a very popular style and the 4 plait is great for lady's wrists.

Here is a picture of some I did about 3 years ago. They are simple 4 plaits with two smaller end knots instead of the larger one. I added some ferules or ring knots. In the picture I also tried some three strand with two loops. BraidingPhotos 131.jpg

I really like the one Entiendo did with the mock alamar. Very Cool!

Lets us see how the new design/s work out.

Heather

post-5205-126141564173_thumb.jpg

Thanks Opagon.

8th sinner, it really isn't an alamar knot, strictly speaking. I pulled the top loop so it could be used as the loop end of the clasp. Then where the ends hang down I put them together and added my herringbone end knot. In case you aren't familiar with the alamar it's tradition to tie this knot around the neck of a finished bridle horse. I just love this knot, it's so pretty, but if you know of other knots I could play around with I'd love to hear about them.

I'm going to enclose a picture of a real alamar knot. alamarbrace3sm.jpg

post-6663-126150116827_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the input. When I get something worked up I'll put some pictures up.

Rob