badLoveLeather

Prep of a 30 year plus old Python Skin

During the XMAS holiday this year I visited my folks in Sarasota Florida. Since my father is an artist (fused dichroic glass) he wanted to see me work at what I do. So I packed up a 100 lb bag of skins and tools to I could show him how and what I do. Since he was eager to see the exotic skin work I do he scoured the area he lived in for some exotic skins. Leather stuff isn;t readily available in Sarasota but he did stumble across this African Python skin that he bought off an old retired CIA guy who bought off a wooden vendor cart over 30 years ago.

Since the skin was so old it had dried out considerably.

I posted some questions here ( old post died with the old board)

Someone suggested Dyo -Reptile Shoe conditioner.

It worked well. Damn impressive.

The skin on the left is the conditioned one. I'll post photos of the wallet when its done

IMG_0274_2.jpg

IMG_0272_2.jpg

post-5239-1200090950_thumb.jpg

post-5239-1200090960_thumb.jpg

Thats one beautiful skin. Don't you love the durability of leather.

I just realized that its been four months since I got this skin. i had most of it cut and on my bench waiting to be assembled. Funny how time files.

So these are the photos of one of a few finished products that i will make with this amazing African Python skin.

All hand sewn, hand stitched, hand laced.

Python outer

Kangaroo Inner

Ostrich Leg pockets & Accents

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

post-5239-1209539403_thumb.jpg

post-5239-1209539463_thumb.jpg

post-5239-1209539507_thumb.jpg

post-5239-1209539522_thumb.jpg

Edited by badLoveLeather

Your materials are nuts. I never heard of all the skins till you displayed them. Thanks.

Hey Badlove!

This is so cool, I love snakes and snakeskin.

I was thinking that the skin is really older than you if taking into count that it sat on the snake for xx number of years and then laying around about 30 years.

This stuff's hard to get here so I just love to see exotic skins work.

Keep it up!

Tom

Hey Badlove! This is so cool, I love snakes and snakeskin. I was thinking that the skin is really older than you if taking into count that it sat on the snake for xx number of years and then laying around about 30 years.This stuff's hard to get here so I just love to see exotic skins work.Keep it up!Tom
Hey Thats True! i didn;t consider that. Figure the snake was probably about 14 feet long and depending on hom many villigers it ate in the course of its lifetime it coul have been at least 8 or 9 years old.I so want to start an aligator farm.
Your materials are nuts. I never heard of all the skins till you displayed them. Thanks.
Yes I do like to work with the Exotic Skins. I have the good fortune to get great deals on exotic skins. Eventually i will look to pass on those deals to people here in LA. I'm sure the exotic skin business could be good for me. Just a thought though.

Just so everyone knows the reptile conditioner is just the leather balm with a different label but it will cost you more.

David Genadek

I have a 35 year old python skin, that I use every once in awhile...hehehe about every ten years. It's gone from about 28' to 22' or so.

It's dry as a bone, but I slop on some Dr Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator, and it's like a fresh skin. I just use my fingers. It does darken up a shade, but looks and works fine. That reminds me, I'll have to make something with it...hmmm.

Just so everyone knows the reptile conditioner is just the leather balm with a different label but it will cost you more.

David Genadek

Leather Balm. Is that a Fiebings product? Do tell because I used the Dyo product. it works good but I had to get it over the internet.

Leather Balm. Is that a Fiebings product? Do tell because I used the Dyo product. it works good but I had to get it over the internet.

Dyo leather balm which you should be avaliable through any shoe repair. SAS products were also made by Dyo so if they have a leather balm it would also be the same product. I would guess the the plain Dyo leather balm would be the most economical. I paid $60.00 for 5 gals last time I ordered but I'm sure that has changed after they blew up and LCI took over the line.

David Genadek