HorsehairBraider

Braided Horsehair Hatband

Greetings fellow braiders! I was sure busy over the months leading up to the holiday season. I call it the Christmas Crisis. However I did get to make some neat stuff, and this is one thing I thought you all might enjoy seeing.

This was for a lady in CA. Her horse had passed away and she saved the tail. I used up pretty much all the hair she sent me, but I made more than just this hatband. The hatband turned out really neat. Here it is:

hatband1.jpg

And of course, you'll all want to see the details. Here are the knots, and a close-up of the braided length:

hatband2.jpg

hatband3.jpg

Let me know what you think!

I hope everyone had a great holiday, and may 2010 (the start of a new decade!) be lots better than 2009. Happy trails!

post-5309-126249686395_thumb.jpg

post-5309-126249696794_thumb.jpg

post-5309-126249699878_thumb.jpg

Dang!!!..........That's about all I can say.

Thank you for showing us,

Rob

WOW! that is nice work. I have hard enough time braiding rawhide strings, I don't even want to think about trying it with hair.

beautiful work, i am sure the owner will be thrilled

That is exquisite work there, I love it.

I am sure she will be over the moon to be able to wear that for years to come.

"Let me know what you think."

I think I would like one of those for my Dad. It would look good on that new Akubra he'll be sporting soon.

Very nice work as always.

Jerry R.

Thanks everybody! :cheers:

Beautiful work as always. I only wish ya would post more pictures of your work. Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Beautiful! Wish I had that kind of patience.

WOW! That is impressive! What do you call the braid?

Greetings fellow braiders! I was sure busy over the months leading up to the holiday season. I call it the Christmas Crisis. However I did get to make some neat stuff, and this is one thing I thought you all might enjoy seeing.

This was for a lady in CA. Her horse had passed away and she saved the tail. I used up pretty much all the hair she sent me, but I made more than just this hatband. The hatband turned out really neat. Here it is:

post-5309-126249686395_thumb.jpg

And of course, you'll all want to see the details. Here are the knots, and a close-up of the braided length:

post-5309-126249696794_thumb.jpg

post-5309-126249699878_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think!

I hope everyone had a great holiday, and may 2010 (the start of a new decade!) be lots better than 2009. Happy trails!

Beautiful work - sorry about her horse but at least she has a good memory with her. I found your post by chance as I was looking for advice on revitalizing a dry horsehair hat band. It's a but brittle and I don't know what if anything can be done to revive it. It seems to me that if anyone would know it's you... Any advice would be very much appreciated.

That is outstanding! I've been wanting to braid horse hair too......what is that braid?

Oh wow, a zombie thread! :P

@Paris7: You could try human hair conditioner. A moisturizing one would be best... one with coconut oil. That seems to penetrate the hair shaft. You could even try getting some coconut oil and rubbing it in. Honey is also a good moisturizer, but I don't recommend using it straight. Be careful though because the hair is no doubt fragile... hair DOES wear out, that's why horses grow new hair all the time. You might be able to breathe some new life into it though.

@Dwing8: It's a 25-strand double flat braid.

Hope that helps!

Oh wow, a zombie thread! :P

@Paris7: You could try human hair conditioner. A moisturizing one would be best... one with coconut oil. That seems to penetrate the hair shaft. You could even try getting some coconut oil and rubbing it in. Honey is also a good moisturizer, but I don't recommend using it straight. Be careful though because the hair is no doubt fragile... hair DOES wear out, that's why horses grow new hair all the time. You might be able to breathe some new life into it though.

@Dwing8: It's a 25-strand double flat braid.

Hope that helps!

Wow, really nice work.

I love the way the 25-strand double flat braid looks.

Do you have some kind of tutorial for this braid? (Or the O-U sequence?)

Many thanks,

Erik

Wow, really nice work.

I love the way the 25-strand double flat braid looks.

Do you have some kind of tutorial for this braid? (Or the O-U sequence?)

Many thanks,

Erik

Sorry, writing is not my strong point so I can't really do tutorials. It's the braid that Grant calls the double flat braid. I think he shows it in 9 and 13 strands in his book. Same braid, more strands! Hope that helps.

And thank you kindly, Leatherpownder.

Sorry, writing is not my strong point so I can't really do tutorials. It's the braid that Grant calls the double flat braid. I think he shows it in 9 and 13 strands in his book. Same braid, more strands! Hope that helps.

And thank you kindly, Leatherpownder.

Thanks anyway.

I have Grants book, so I should be able to find it.

Gr,

Erik