Sign in to follow this  
HARVEY

Great Fonts

I'm thinking about ordering some fonts from the webste LetterheadFonts.com. (If you're into fonts, definitely check `em out!) They have some terrific ones which I have not found on any of the multiple free sites. When purchased, they download them to the buyer. They do NOT send back-up discs or anything. My question is: if I purchase from them, can I download them from my hard drive to a CD, so I can have "hard" backup if anything happens? (Or if I buy another computer.) You think they're encrypted or blocked or something that wouldn't allow me to do that? Sorry, Guys, for what may be super obvious to so many of you, but like ol' Will Rogers once said (and is my unofficial motto) "Everybody's ignorant, only on different topics." I'm ignorant computer-wise. (I'm a wiz, though, on American History, from 1488-1491.)

Thanks, One and All.

Harvey

Personally, the only backup method I use is to a portable hard drive (I also upload my photos to an online photo site - SmugMug). I use a free utility from Microsoft called SyncToy. You can create synchronization presets that, for example, automatically sync's your My Docs folder from your computer to the portable drive. You could create a preset for your fonts as well. From there, you can select the individual presets you wish to run, or you can run them all at once. You can make mirrored copies, or additive, etc. Very easy to use - I've used it for at least two years. Almost every time I leave the house, my portable drive goes with me because I almost always carry my Maxpedition Versipack with a ton of junk, like headphones, charging cables, multi-tool, etc., and of course my portable hard drive that's USB powered.

If you're interested in the drive, it's a Western Digital Passport. My current drive is 320 gig, and it's not much larger than my iPhone.

Fonts are normally .TTF, .FON, or .TTC files, backing them up is as easy as copying them from your computers font folder and pasting them in another location. Your computer will only be able to use the file if it's in the font folder.

I have never come across any font that has had DRM or any other form of digital copy protection. If LetterheadFonts.com uses some kind of copy protection they will probably list that somewhere on there site, if not you can always give them a call to be sure.

As far as my experiance fonts are only protected by copyright law.

Good spot for some freebees:

http://www.1001freefonts.com/

Edited by Studio Apocalypse