nuncanunca

SInger 42 Class - Any opinions?

Hello All,

I am going to go look at a Singer 42 class machine this weekend. They don't seem to be as common as some of the other old machines out there - does anyone have experience with these machines? I was able to find out from the serial number that it is a 42 class built in 1913, and learned from the owner that it is a walking foot - I don't know if its the "alternating presser" type or the "vibrating pressor." The singer manual says it takes up to size 25 needle - 16x63 or 16x64. With a little searching I have figured out that the 16x64 leather needles are hard to find, but the 63s are available.

Does anyone know:

1. if another needle system will work?

2. if a size 25 needle (207 thread) is a bit obtimistic for this machine? (it has a pretty big flywheel)

3. if there are any issues with these machines to watch for?

Thanks!

Dave

Dave,

Yes,this machine has a spring loaded foot,the outside swings back with the feed dog.This machine will use up tp 346 nylon w/a #26 needle,277 w/a#25 or 207 w/a #23

we always changed them to a 135x16 just alittle shorter needle that is very easy to get.

Bob

Thanks Bob! are you able to get the hooks and bobbin cases for the machine?

If it has the long beak type of shuttle they aren't being made anymore,but I think I know where I can get some used ones if needed.Some machine might have a round bobbin.

Bob

If it has the long beak type of shuttle they aren't being made anymore,but I think I know where I can get some used ones if needed.Some machine might have a round bobbin.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I will send you a p.m.

I have a Singer 42-5, that's one with the big hook and bobbin. It's not real pretty, but in fine shape mechanically. Bobbins are a little hard to find for it, as is a bobbin WINDER - I cheated a new one to fit.

This is an alternating presser machine, not great feeding for much over a couple of layers of 9-ounce veg tan, but SUPERB stitch quality for doing chaps and the like. I am running 29 class wedge point needles in it - yep, same needle as the Singer 29 class patcher uses - and they run just fine. You can get them in the whole range of sizes and points, so it really makes the machine worthwhile.

Mine is in a treadle stand - love that silent running :)

Kate

Thanks Kate! I actually found some old posts of yours on the shoe forum regarding the 42-5 and the 29 needles - along with some other helpful info about the 42. I can't wait to get mine set up! Just waiting on a replacement hook and some room in the garage...

I got my machine from a retired shoe guy - he didn't have any extras with it, but I compared the needle that was in the machine to my 29 needles, and other than being a bit shorter they were about the same. I already ordered some 135x16 needles from Bob to try, but its good to know the 29s will work too. Bob also said he can get the bobbins if you need them...

Dave

Hey Dave, did you get your 42 up and running? Which version did it turn out to be? I have an operators manual for it (and I think there's a parts manual too) that I downloaded off the Singer industrial site. VERY helpful to have those....

Kate

Thanks Kate! I actually found some old posts of yours on the shoe forum regarding the 42-5 and the 29 needles - along with some other helpful info about the 42. I can't wait to get mine set up! Just waiting on a replacement hook and some room in the garage...

I got my machine from a retired shoe guy - he didn't have any extras with it, but I compared the needle that was in the machine to my 29 needles, and other than being a bit shorter they were about the same. I already ordered some 135x16 needles from Bob to try, but its good to know the 29s will work too. Bob also said he can get the bobbins if you need them...

Dave

Hello,

I have a bobbin winder, some used hooks, bobbins and some other parts for these machines if you are interested. Send me a pm if ya are. Thanks!

I did get it up an running- It is the 42-5 with the big hook. Once I replaced the bobbin case it only needed a few small adjustments and now it is sewing great. It is so nice to be able to use those bigger threads! Unfortunately mine didn't come with the oil cup, so I am going to have to rig something up in order to use some linen blend thread I have - but the polyester thread I have is working great!

I am in the process of moving & haven't had time to put it to work much, but I have got all kinds of project ideas simmering - I can't wait to get my shop set up again! I am looking to follow your lead and put it in a treadle.

I also have the parts & instruction manual from the Singer site.

By the way - I really like the gemstone browbands on your website. Do you use wire to hold the beads in place?

Dave

Hey Dave, did you get your 42 up and running? Which version did it turn out to be? I have an operators manual for it (and I think there's a parts manual too) that I downloaded off the Singer industrial site. VERY helpful to have those....

Kate

Dave when you go looking for a treadle stand, try to find a real industrial treadle - mine is (unfortunately) a regular high speed stand for a 16 class industrial head, but the old 42-5 doesn't seem to mind much - I thought the big wheel would lug me down, but it hasn't so far. They originally came with a dual-diameter drive wheel on the treadle, same as a 29 class patcher has - and if I ever find one.....

I have the oil pot on mine, if you want to make me such a deal, PM me off list. I don't ever plan on running anything but poly thread in my lifetime :) Or, I think Weavers have a little oil jug thingy that has wipers that most likely work better than the old leather flapper thing in mine!

Kate

Hello, I am deciding whether or not to buy a Singer 42-5 that I found in an antique store - it is just the machine and comes in it's original wooden crate. I looked up the serial number and it is from 1918. My question to start is whether or not I need to find the cabinet/ treadle system that was made for this exact model (I downloaded the parts and operations manual) - this seems hard to find (most are in Australia) - or can I use one slightly different. And so which Model #'s cabinets/ treadle systems are ok to use for this machine? Thanks, Leah :)

Like any other machine you just plonk it on a table.

I have one with the original two speed treadle base :)

Thanks for the response Anne Bonnys Locker. Oh, so this machine will connect to and work with just about any treadle base?

Like any other machine you just plonk it on a table.

I have one with the original two speed treadle base :)

Thanks for the response Anne Bonnys Locker. Oh, so this machine will connect to and work with just about any treadle base?

The base isn't an issue, it's the table top that you have to have - bigger opening than a standard home machine, you will want a regular industrial type table top (or make one from 1-1/8 heavy plywood), and since mine is a fiddleback base, it won't fit "down and in" to a recess - just parks on top. I blocked the legs into the table opening to steady things up. you "could" also set it up on a box "portable" base for tabletop use, and put an electric motor on it with regular foot control.

Thanks Kate - your response is very helpful! Now this doesn't seem as daunting as it did before :)

The base isn't an issue, it's the table top that you have to have - bigger opening than a standard home machine, you will want a regular industrial type table top (or make one from 1-1/8 heavy plywood), and since mine is a fiddleback base, it won't fit "down and in" to a recess - just parks on top. I blocked the legs into the table opening to steady things up. you "could" also set it up on a box "portable" base for tabletop use, and put an electric motor on it with regular foot control.

The hole is 17 1/2" X 6 1/2" on my table with a small cut out to allow the bearing blocks to fit at each end.

Don't treat it as a serious project - just have some fun!

Thanks Kate - your response is very helpful! Now this doesn't seem as daunting as it did before :)

Thanks Darren, I needed that - I tend to overwhelm myself sometimes :)

The hole is 17 1/2" X 6 1/2" on my table with a small cut out to allow the bearing blocks to fit at each end.

Don't treat it as a serious project - just have some fun!

I muck around with old machines for a living and sometimes I get out of my depth. I just have to back away and realise that it is just as much fun as when it was a hobby.

Thanks Darren, I needed that - I tend to overwhelm myself sometimes :)

I have a 42-5 that I use for everything. It will handle up to a half inch of veg tanned leather, although it is happier with a bit less. Works well for heavy fabric also. It will climb over most thick seams, but sometimes I need to "bump" the knee lifter if the spring-loaded swinging foot gets stuck on changing thicknesses. I absolutely LOVE the big flywheel. It has enough inertia to keep it chugging through heavy materials at slow speed. I can get it to really move slowly if needed by dragging my hand on the flywheel also. Never skips stitches on heavy leather with the right needle. It uses common 135x16 and 135x17 needles. I love this machine !!:thumbsup:

Hello, I am deciding whether or not to buy a Singer 42-5 that I found in an antique store - it is just the machine and comes in it's original wooden crate. I looked up the serial number and it is from 1918. My question to start is whether or not I need to find the cabinet/ treadle system that was made for this exact model (I downloaded the parts and operations manual) - this seems hard to find (most are in Australia) - or can I use one slightly different. And so which Model #'s cabinets/ treadle systems are ok to use for this machine? Thanks, Leah :)

Is this machine you found NEW in it's original crate ??

Anyhow, unless you are in love with treadle operation, I would mount it on a modern type table with a motor underneath. I have one of these, which is a later version with a V-belt drive. A very versatile machine, and capable of anything I ask it to do. Thick leather, heavy and light upholstery fabrics, heavy canvas, etc.

Dear Cascabel, thanks for the info on the machine. I just moved, sorry for the late response. I do not think it is new (there are signs of use and a spool of thread in the bobbin area) but the crate is definitely original, the model number is stamped on it as well. I think you are right about the motor instead (it will be easier - the treadle operation just excited me because I've never used it before :)

Is this machine you found NEW in it's original crate ??

Anyhow, unless you are in love with treadle operation, I would mount it on a modern type table with a motor underneath. I have one of these, which is a later version with a V-belt drive. A very versatile machine, and capable of anything I ask it to do. Thick leather, heavy and light upholstery fabrics, heavy canvas, etc.