CowboyBob

Rebuilt Singer 29-4

This Singer 29-4 has been completely disasembled,cleaned,repainted & put back together with any new parts that were needed & it sews like NEW.

It will come with 1-thread wire, 2-packs of needles,5-bobbins & operators manual.The price w/stand as pictured is $650.00 picked up in Toledo,Oh.

We will crate for shipping f/$25.00,and you'll have to pay the shipping charges.

We do have discounts with alot of trucking companies.

Bob Kovar

Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine Sales

1-866-362-7397

chandler 30 002.jpg

post-7185-126305007509_thumb.jpg

Edited by sewmun

So I have recently purchase one of these singers. It is a 1908 model 29-4. I currently have it all in pieces and have cleaned all the parts that I could. The one thing that I am going back and forth on is the paint. I wonder if I will be loosing the value if I choose to completely repaint the machine?

It was not exactly well kept before I received it. (But what can I say, I paid $100!) It had one frozen part with rust and other than that is functional. The only part I will be replacing is the rubber bobbin winder tire. That brings me back to the paint. Because the decals are currently there, though not in original condition,IMG_5124.JPG I fear repainting it. It has some rust issues that I worry about when I do make it functional. I am attaching one of the pictures I took. It is partway through the process but it shows the damage to the paint. Is it worth it to completely repaint or will that kill the value to loose the original decals?

post-13870-12672400267_thumb.jpg

It has some rust issues that I worry about when I do make it functional.

I can't help you with the repainting issue because I don't know enough about it, but if you've got rust problems with the machine I can't recommend evapo-rust highly enough. It's not cheap, but it works amazingly well and it doesn't strip nickel/chrome plating or paint or anything else other than rust and oxide bluing finishes. I've got no connection with the product or company at all, I'm just someone who's used it on two machines so far with great success.

I feel that when a machine has alot of rust & nicks in the paint that after all the work & parts we put into them

that if they don't look as nice on the outside as the inside that we might as go ahead & paint them.

Usually most 29-4's are sp old that they need paint,now if you just want to keep the machine & use it then it'll get nicked up anyways,so I guess it's up to you.

Bob

I've been debating the very same connundrum... I've recently completed a complete rebuild of a 1901 vintage 29-4, with the help of Bob's Advice and Parts [Thankx!] and presently have been trying to decide whether or not to re-paint. My machine similar to yours [runningwithsissors] was in need of some serious TLC, after not having been secured to the stand... it therefore I suspect took a "Tumble" and broke some number of the cast parts... Though thankfully only replaceable parts, while the actual head only suffered a number of dings and nicks to the finish... At any-rate, it is up and running at this point and I have been considering the very same situation... Repaint or No... I think for my purposes I'm going to leave it "Original" and just oil the machine up and keep it so.... I've got a bit of surface rust on the backside of the head, since I further suspect it was stored in a not so dry barn after its little tumble.... Which was quite evident when I rescued it...

I've posted a couple pics of my 29-4, and will post another one or two once I get the head remounted to the base and finish the "restoration...." The base it is currently buried out in my Garage, and not likely to be accessible for a couple weeks or until some of this new snow melts... But they don't need to look like the prettiest girl at the dance to knock out some repairs.... I've actually already completed a pair of moccasin sole replacements with mine... But as Bob was suggesting, if your going to be doing a full over-haul and then re-selling the machine... having it look the part will doubtless get more action than leaving it in the rough.... Although I've been watching them for some time on the auction sites, and note they seem to hold their value quite well.... pretty'd up or no, as long as they are in working order... Though I would seriously reconsider that decision myself, if I was able to get a complete set of repro decals to return it to its former state...

Enjoy your machine... I know that I'm already putting mine through its paces, learning the ins and outs of it... and thoroughly enjoying my "new" Patcher, which was a Craig's List Rescue and a fairly reasonable one at that...

This Singer 29-4 has been completely disasembled,cleaned,repainted & put back together with any new parts that were needed & it sews like NEW.

It will come with 1-thread wire, 2-packs of needles,5-bobbins & operators manual.The price w/stand as pictured is $650.00 picked up in Toledo,Oh.

We will crate for shipping f/$25.00,and you'll have to pay the shipping charges.

We do have discounts with alot of trucking companies.

Bob Kovar

Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine Sales

1-866-362-7397

Bob, I have a 29-4 and a 29-K-60. I was told they were only designed to use 69 thread. Looks like in the picture yours has heavier thread than that. Is it? Maybe you modified something ? Thanks, Bill Lazy D Saddlery

Bob, I have a 29-4 and a 29-K-60. I was told they were only designed to use 69 thread. Looks like in the picture yours has heavier thread than that. Is it? Maybe you modified something ? Thanks, Bill Lazy D Saddlery

I use 138 in my 29-4 all the time with no problem whatsoever.

I use 138 in my 29-4 all the time with no problem whatsoever.

What # needle do you use with the 138 ???

You need to use a #22 needle to sew #138,I have them in stock f/$4.00 a pk (10)+post.

Bob Kovar

Hi Bob,

I have a friend and mentor that is 80+ yrs and has retired from the saddle and tack repair business. He has asked me if I want his 29-4 and I thought I would take it (free). He has been very generous with a lot of his tools and books, so forth. I have been skeptical but thought having a cylinder arm set up to do some of my work would be nice because I certainly run into situations where I have to hand sew some things and I think this would make a difference. He tells me it does not pick up the thread on the stitch. I feel that it may be a timing issue. I need to pick it up and get it to my shop and go through it. It seems like you have a lot of parts for these and I am hoping I can contact you when I get the machine and see where it is at. Will it indeed sew with 138 thread? I will post pictures when I have it.

Thank You,

Tom Lamprey

Granite Buckaroo