CameronC

Pattern for a 20inch double barrel Shotgun

Greetings:

Wondering if anyone out there has made a pattern for a case/sheath to fit a cowboy action shotgun, vis a vis, a side-hammer, double barrel (20 inch length).

I've made a lot of patterns for revolvers and pistols but never for a shotgun.

Cameron,

I might have just the ticket. This Shotgun Scabbard was designed specifically for Cowboy Action Shooting due to rules about the shotgun being kept in the Open position when not in use. The strap over the top keeps the weapon in place whether the shotgun is opened or closed. It will require a Toe Plug which I can help you with. They're not as hard to make as they seem.

If you're interested, holler at me on the email side.

Jim

brazosjack@att.net

Shotgun 1.JPG

Shotgun 2.JPG

post-141-126551580387_thumb.jpg

post-141-126551583838_thumb.jpg

Cameron,

I might have just the ticket. This Shotgun Scabbard was designed specifically for Cowboy Action Shooting due to rules about the shotgun being kept in the Open position when not in use. The strap over the top keeps the weapon in place whether the shotgun is opened or closed. It will require a Toe Plug which I can help you with. They're not as hard to make as they seem.

If you're interested, holler at me on the email side.

Jim

brazosjack@att.net

Jim

I am new here and saw your comment and was wondering if you could send me that pattern. my email is cowboywitek@gmail.com thanks

Eight Bits Leather There are several patterns for holsters and 1 for a rifle scabbard that you could probaly modify to suit your needs. Hope it helps. (there are a bunch of gun related patterns as well like ammo loops etc.)

Resurrecting another really old post....

Jim, do you still have the pattern for the shotgun scabbard?

I'm real interested in it... even though we have to keep the guns muzzle up in the carts for cowboy action shooting.

eight bit link doesn't work

Eightbits site has been down for a long time. The owner of that site is a member of these forums Roys29 and has several of his patterns posted under patterns and templates. He also has another site I will see if I can find it. He is usually more then willing to share his patterns. Here is one of the threads with several patterns. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55039&hl=%2Beight+%2Bbits scroll down to post #5 for the correct link. First link was incorrect. Here is the thread for the Eightbits scabbard pattern http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=46730&hl=eightbits If you do a search for eightbits under Patterns and Templates you will find a Doc Holiday pattern, gun belt pattern etc. Here is Roys current site, there are a few patterns and some other things that may be of interest to gun enthusiasts. http://www.ktgunsmith.com/misc.asp

Edited by camano ridge

Thank you sir!

Between you (Camano), Hidepounder, Jim (Brazos Jack), Tboyce, and Roys29 (Eight Bits), I now have more projects than I can shake a stick at, AND my skill at them has improved!

There is another name in there I wanted to add, but I am at work and it is escaping me as I duck the boss.

I'll have pictures up of my work soon!

Red Bear, I do believe I still have it with the rifle scabbards I destined for CAS. Unless things have changed, when I was active in SASS and CAS one could carry the shotgun barrel down IF the gun was broken open. Same with rifles if the lever was in the open position. Is this still the case?

Jim.

Jim, some clubs and ranges have their own rules This is was SASS rules say.

Shooters shall adhere to the following safety rules:
1. Treat and respect every firearm at all times as if it were loaded.
2. Muzzle direction is important between, before, during, and after shooting a stage. A muzzle must not be allowed to “sweep” the other participants at any time. Long guns shall have their actions open with chambers and magazines empty and muzzles pointed in a safe direction when transported at a match. A holstered revolver (loaded or empty) with the hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended case is considered safe and may not be interpreted as sweeping another shooter while safely secured in the holster. Failure to manage safe muzzle direction is grounds for disqualification from the stage, and for repeated offenses, from the match.
Not evry one has a cart and SASS handbook does not specifically address carrying on a cart. So it may be his clubs rules.

It is local club rules, I just ran through a huge set of posts on it on the SASS Wire. As I discovered, there are no "cart rules" and it is left to the local clubs to deal with it as they will. My club is a good one and everyone following the same set of 'muzzle up' rules does make it easier for all involved. I only really mentioned the cart because I loved the one in the picture.

But that is one top notch scabbard, and I would love a chance to make my pale imitation of it. I have plans in the works for a WWII Garand scabbard and I have Roys29 (Eight Bits) zip file from up above with the rifle scabbard (Thanks again Camano!). I've also gobbled up any files that you, Jim, have linked on here. Many thanks for that, too!

Red Cent is the other name that I was thinking of for my list of thank you's. I have found all your (collective) posts very informative and helpful and I am glad I found this place.

Thank you so much!

When I find them (somewhere in my files) I will post them in the pattern and template section. As for making them, trust me; if you can read, they'll be just as good as mine.

On the open position of the shotgun, the shotgun scabbard is designed to hold the scatter gun in both open and closed condition. Anyone who read Shoot Magazine might have caught the article on it a few years ago. I tied prompting the idea to sell patterns but it never got off the ground and was all but forgotten.

Jim

Fellers, I cannot find the drawings and I'm madder than a wet hen in a hail storm! However, I have a shotgun, and I do have the where withal to draw another one. So, I'm sorry to let you guys down, but I'll be in touch.

I would say "I'll be back" but that line is copyrighted.

Jim