hidepounder

Tapadero Lamp

Here are some photos of my latest project. This is the first time I've ever tried to build anything like this and it was a lot of fun to do. It was also much more expensive and time consuming than I ever imagined it possibly could be. While there are a few things I might do differently next time, I am generally pleased with the outcome.

The tapadero is 24" tall and was made with 7/8 oz HO with 2/3 oz HO lining. The laminated oak stirrup was modified and then stained, finished and mounted to the lamp. The lamp was custom made to accomodate the stirrup/tapadero. The rawhide shade was manufactured by Foss and the sterling silver was custom made by Bill Stewart of Paonia, CO. Bill is featured in the Modern Makers edition of BITS & SPURS by Ned and Jody Martin.

As always I'm anxious to hear your comments/ideas/critiques....

Bobby

3-073 S(M).JPG033 S(M).JPG020 S(M).JPG021 S(M).JPG

post-7682-126385860877_thumb.jpg

post-7682-126385860983_thumb.jpg

post-7682-126385861075_thumb.jpg

post-7682-126386008762_thumb.jpg

Edited by hidepounder

Here are some photos of my latest project. This is the first time I've ever tried to build anything like this and it was a lot of fun to do. It was also much more expensive and time consuming than I ever imagined it possibly could be. While there are a few things I might do differently next time, I am generally pleased with the outcome. The tapadero is 24" tall and was made with 7/8 oz HO with 2/3 oz HO lining. The laminated oak stirrup was modified and then stained, finished and mounted to the lamp. The lamp was custom made to accomodate the stirrup/tapadero. The rawhide shade was manufactured by Foss and the silver was custom made by Bill Stewart of Paonia, CO. As always I'm anxious to hear your comments/ideas/critiques.... Bobby 033 S(M).JPG020 S(M).JPG021 S(M).JPG
BOB ,I BET THAT WAS A LOT OF FUN TO MAKE,,,,AS ALWAYS YOUR WORK IS PERFECT ,,,I REALY LIKE THE THEME OF THE PROJECT,,,AND I BET YOU HAD A GOOD TIME PLANING THE OVER ALL PROJECT ,,,THANKS FOR SHARING IT WITH US ,,,DOC... IS THIS A PERSONAL PIECE OR WILL WE SEE IT AT A SHOW??? Edited by terrahyd

That is just plain awesome. My wife just told me that that will be my next attempt at a lamp. The only problem I see with that is that I have never made a tapedero and I can tool about 1/100 th as good as you can if you are using your left foot.( unless you are left footed then in that case it would be your right foot). Anyway BOB YOU DID AN AWESOME JOB!!!!!!

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Holy Cow! Man that's a nice lamp. Bob did you design the floral? What's the finish? Resist and stain?

Just....WOW!!

Pretty cool, Bob. Nice and clean as always. Great color, smooth lines, everything is tight and smooth.

Ross Brunk

Holy Cow! Man that's a nice lamp...Just....WOW!!

Me, too ... tha's jus PURDY.

Wow!!! That is the coolest lamp I have ever seen!!! Unbelievable man nice work! Sean

Just Beautiful! I guess now you can add 'lamp maker' to your collection of accomplishments.

I just found this month's background photograph for my work computer.

Job well done....Bow to the master!!

Bob,

As I said a couple of weeks ago....Absolutely awesome! Once again I REALLY like the layout of meandering and floral with the breaks in the border. I also liked the break in flowers including the double flowers. You design work for this one is great. Knife work is GREAT as always. The paint color was a great complimentary choice as well. My hat's off once again!

Regards,

Ben

Bob

I have to say it's your best work that you've posted yet! I hope it sells, I would hate to see it next to my lamp up in Sheridan. I wouldn't have a snow ball's chance next to yours! L o L Did you ever figure out what your gonna ask for it?

Thanks for the post

WONDERFUL!

Tim

Beautiful, Bobby! The only question I have is: Aren't tapadero's usually used in pairs?

Coffee table on each end of a couch... night stand on each side of a bed...wink.gif

Another inspiring piece. Thanks for sharing it!

Crystal

just out standing bob i love it.

Josh

Bob!!!!! That is the most awesome lamp I have ever seen. I have always loved tapaderos but your lamp is beyond anything words might express. :notworthy::clapping::thumbsup::clapping::specool::clapping:

You are the master,

Storm

BOB ,I BET THAT WAS A LOT OF FUN TO MAKE,,,,AS ALWAYS YOUR WORK IS PERFECT ,,,I REALY LIKE THE THEME OF THE PROJECT,,,AND I BET YOU HAD A GOOD TIME PLANING THE OVER ALL PROJECT ,,,THANKS FOR SHARING IT WITH US ,,,DOC... IS THIS A PERSONAL PIECE OR WILL WE SEE IT AT A SHOW???

Thanks terrahyd, I appreciate the compliments. No this is not a personal piece...it was made for a show.

That is just plain awesome. My wife just told me that that will be my next attempt at a lamp. The only problem I see with that is that I have never made a tapedero and I can tool about 1/100 th as good as you can if you are using your left foot.( unless you are left footed then in that case it would be your right foot). Anyway BOB YOU DID AN AWESOME JOB!!!!!!

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Thanks Tim, I appreciate the compliments.....and for what it's worth...I'd never made a tap like that before, either, LOL!!!!

Holy Cow! Man that's a nice lamp. Bob did you design the floral? What's the finish? Resist and stain?

Just....WOW!!

Thanks Marlon....yes I designed the floral. The piece is antiqued and I used NeatLac for the resist and final finish.

Beautiful, Bobby! The only question I have is: Aren't tapadero's usually used in pairs?

Coffee table on each end of a couch... night stand on each side of a bed...wink.gif

Another inspiring piece. Thanks for sharing it!

Crystal

Crystal.....are you and Troy ganging up on me?! LOL, that's the first thing he said, too. No this is intended as a single.....and it's a good thing! I'd have gone broke and would never have finished on time....I almost didn't finish on time as it was!

thats just wonderful.....so what does tapadero mean????

thats just wonderful.....so what does tapadero mean????

Roo...a tapadero is nothing more than a hood which covers the stirrup of a Mexican saddle. It is designed to turn back brush to prevent it from being caught in the stirrup. Taps come in a variety of sizes and designs. Eagle Beak taps are most often seen on parade saddles and were often seen on saddles made by Ed Bohlin.

Bob,

I hate to say this but the pictures just don't do this piece justice. I was able to see this piece up close and personal yesterday and you dun did a fine job on every phase of this piece. I do believe it was worth every Kojack moment you told me about over the phone when you where building this project. The only person that will give a little fuss over this will be Keith and he'll want to know the braided edge is at.

Happy Trails and we will see you next week

Andy

Bob,

As usual, I could look at your masterpieces all day!! That is incredible! I would like to know more about how you made it...What is the base made out of to hold the lamp upright? Was that a tap pattern you created?

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Bob,

As usual, I could look at your masterpieces all day!! That is incredible! I would like to know more about how you made it...What is the base made out of to hold the lamp upright? Was that a tap pattern you created?

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Thanks wvcraftsman, I appreciate your comments......The base is made out of a thick piece of maple and yes I created the tap pattern. It is a composite based on photos of several different taps that I like.

Bob,

I hate to say this but the pictures just don't do this piece justice. I was able to see this piece up close and personal yesterday and you dun did a fine job on every phase of this piece. I do believe it was worth every Kojack moment you told me about over the phone when you where building this project. The only person that will give a little fuss over this will be Keith and he'll want to know the braided edge is at.

Happy Trails and we will see you next week

Andy

I would STILL be braiding had I decided to do the edges, LOL! I can't thank you enough, Andy, for all the help you've been during this whole process and I'm looking forward to seeing you next week!

Bobby

just stunning!

Question- when doing your finger cuts, do you draw them on the leather, draw a general shape, lightly sketch in borderlines, do them entirely freehand as you go.......?

How do you keep them so even as to shape, spacing, size, etc?