(I'm posing this question in this forum because I want fellow holster builders to see it. If it get's moved to the dyes/finishes section, I'm afraid the target audience won't read it or respond. So, I'm at your mercy.smile.gif )

Exterior:

I started out using Resolene and then I started adding a layer of wax after the resolene dried. But, I just don't like that plasticy feel that resolene seems to give my holsters. So, I've switched to using Leather Balm w/Atom Wax. That seemed to give me the nice feel i was looking for but, not quite. Oddly enough, when i was applying the leather balm w/ atom wax to one holster, I applied too briskly with a foam brush and it left some airbubbles on the surface. So, I figured I could use a more abrasive material to scrub them down. I picked up the saddle soap soaked canvas that I use to burnish the edges and started scrubbing. The saddle soap seemed to leave a nice soft feel to the leather that I had been looking for and I've been using that method since.

Interior:

For unlined holsters I have continued to use acrylic resolene. I think it provides the rigidity that is needed and keeps the inside relatively smooth. Although, I have experimented with leather balm, gum trag and even the edge kote. Ultimately, I'm looking for a waxier feel to the inside. So, the search continues.

So, what do you guys use? Products? Techniques?

Edited by LeatherCaptain

For interiors I've started using the glycerine saddle soap bars. Dampen the flesh side lightly then use the glycerine bar as a slicker. Tool and conditioner in one. I really like the result.

Exterior I gave up on resolene the first holster I put it on. Like you say I thought it made my beautiful (well passable) leather look like plastic. Still searching but Bag Kote is what I'm using now.

Dan

Well, I also am not enamoured with Resolene. I (believe it or not) use a 50/50 mix of "Mop & Glow". Yep, the stuff for floors. I found out about it a loooong time ago when I was out of the old Tandy "sheene" stuff and started experimenting. I have used it almost exclusively ever since. It's an acrylic, milky liquid. It shoots well thru my airbrush and only produces that 'plastic' finish if you overdo things. I just mist it on my work, let it dry for an hour or so the mist it once more and let 'er dry overnight. When dry you can hit your project with a little wax and buff it out also if you want.

As to interiors, I use two layers of leather on almost all holsters. Usually 3/4 oz. or 4/5 oz. depending on the size and weight of the gun. I glue (with a good quality contact cement) the two pieces flesh side to flesh side., then use just as though it were a single thickness of leather. This gives a nice, smooth interior that I treat just as I do the exterior. This little Schrade skinner is one that I have had for over 30 years......the sheath is about 25 yrs old and was shot with Mop & Glow way back then. It has seen a lot of use over the years and the finish seems to have held up well. The little pouch for the M-36 was made about 5 or 6 month ago and also shot with Mop & Glow. Mike

012.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-7.jpg

Great comments! Thanks for chiming in and wonderful ingenuity!

I just saw a holster I built about a year and a half ago and it still looks great. There's a little wear on the inside of the belt loops (IWB Holster) but, that's to be expected and why they are detachable. Hopefully I'll see it again in another 24 and it looks as good as your sheath!

I was reading on the Milt Sparks site that they recommend using Angelus Lustre Cream, Fiebings Carnuba wax (didn't know this existed) or Renaissance Wax to keep the appearance of their holsters. Although, I wonder if this is actually part of their finishing process. Anyone tried any of these products?

I 've tried the Renaissance wax as I had some from another project (uhmm, obsession) and buffed out one of my holsters with it after the resolene. It definetely brought out a nice shine but, much too waxy of a feel for the exterior. I might just try it on the interior and see how that works. It should be interesting how well I can get all of the nooks and crannies polished.

I use resolene/water 50/50. I just submerge them in a 5 gal bucket and lightly blow off the excess with an air compressor.

When I was in the air force, I used Mop and Glow on leather boots to shine the heal and toe. It would crack if you got to far from the toe where the leather flexed. I'm tempted to try diluting it and to see how it works. Thanks for the info!

I like the finish I've been getting with Feibing's Tan Kote.

Bronson

Well, I also am not enamoured with Resolene. I (believe it or not) use a 50/50 mix of "Mop & Glow". Yep, the stuff for floors. I found out about it a loooong time ago when I was out of the old Tandy "sheene" stuff and started experimenting. I have used it almost exclusively ever since. It's an acrylic, milky liquid. It shoots well thru my airbrush and only produces that 'plastic' finish if you overdo things. I just mist it on my work, let it dry for an hour or so the mist it once more and let 'er dry overnight. When dry you can hit your project with a little wax and buff it out also if you want.

As to interiors, I use two layers of leather on almost all holsters. Usually 3/4 oz. or 4/5 oz. depending on the size and weight of the gun. I glue (with a good quality contact cement) the two pieces flesh side to flesh side., then use just as though it were a single thickness of leather. This gives a nice, smooth interior that I treat just as I do the exterior. This little Schrade skinner is one that I have had for over 30 years......the sheath is about 25 yrs old and was shot with Mop & Glow way back then. It has seen a lot of use over the years and the finish seems to have held up well. The little pouch for the M-36 was made about 5 or 6 month ago and also shot with Mop & Glow. Mike

012.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-7.jpg

Mike,

50/50 mixture of Mop & Glow and what?

Mike,

50/50 mixture of Mop & Glow and what?

Sorry about that..........50/50 Mop & Glo and water......... My mind moves faster than my two fingers when typing. Mike

Vinegaroon if making something black, and it "self-finishes". On everything else, I use Aussie conditioner followed up with Neat-lac rubbed in or Leather Balm w/ atom wax. I do like the Resolene on the interiors, as it seals very well and provides a good slick feel.

.... On everything else, I use Aussie conditioner....

http://www.aussie.co...ume-conditioner

Does it really add volume? I could save money on leather! LOL

For me, exterior: 1 light coat of Neetsfoot oil, 3 coats of 50/50 Resolene/water airbrushed, 1 coat of neutral Angelus shoe wax polish.

Interior: 3 coats of 50/50 Resolene/water airbrushed.

i've had good luck with polyurethane. too much looks like plastic, but just a little looks pretty good.

Well, I just never have liked lacquer or other varnish-type finishes on leather. The acrylic version is only marginally better for leather that must withstand hard wear, often in all weathers.

I treat my finished gunleather with my own concoction, beeswax melted together with equal amounts of pure neatsfoot oil. It solidifies. into a paste, which can be rubbed into the finished piece, then warmed with a hair dryer to "melt it in" to the grain. Then a serious buffing with soft clean cloth will bring up the sheen. It gets better with age, and is easily fixed if scuffed or scratched, unlike painted on clear coatings. Done right, it's virtually waterproof too, and will NOT attack a fine blued finish.

Guess maybe I'm still too old fashioned, but I like the results. The pic is of my personal carry holster - got to be 12 years old now, still looks pretty good.

PANCAKE304.jpg

post-10692-126516960616_thumb.jpg

Well, I just never have liked lacquer or other varnish-type finishes on leather. The acrylic version is only marginally better for leather that must withstand hard wear, often in all weathers.

I treat my finished gunleather with my own concoction, beeswax melted together with equal amounts of pure neatsfoot oil. It solidifies. into a paste, which can be rubbed into the finished piece, then warmed with a hair dryer to "melt it in" to the grain. Then a serious buffing with soft clean cloth will bring up the sheen. It gets better with age, and is easily fixed if scuffed or scratched, unlike painted on clear coatings. Done right, it's virtually waterproof too, and will NOT attack a fine blued finish.

Guess maybe I'm still too old fashioned, but I like the results. The pic is of my personal carry holster - got to be 12 years old now, still looks pretty good.

Very nice, Kate! I think I'm going to try this with the inside of my holsters. I think this will definetely give them the waxier feel I've been looking for. I just couldn't figure out how to get the wax down into the holster without seriously making a mess or distorting the leather. This process sort of reminds me of that Sno Seal product where you warm up your leather item and then apply a small amount of product onto the leather and let it melt in. specool.gif

How and, more importantly, when in your assembly cycle to you finish the inside of your holsters?

How and, more importantly, when in your assembly cycle to you finish the inside of your holsters?

I was hoping someone would answer this question. I have to believe that, especially if using an acrylic type fininsh inside, it has to be done after wet forming or the water would not penetrate like it should.

Airbrushing the inside? I could see where maybe the beeswax/ neatsfoot paste could be rubbed in before hand.

I've not used resolene in my airbrush yet. When I do use it on the inside of my holsters, I use a small sponge and run it down in. I recently bought a bunch of the foam paint brushes and I'm going to try that.

I finish mine after wet molding I let them dry over night, wax my edges then apply my finish. I dunk them in a 50/50 resolene/water mix count to 10 pull them out. Then lightly blow off the excess with an air compressor. Then they sit for 3 full days before I assemble them. I get great results and its quick and easy. The only down side is waiting 3 days for it to fully cure.

Good afternoon! So, I embarked on the wax/oil adventure and I think I've been outsmarted. I took some of the beeswax/paraffin mixture I use for edges and mixed it with some neatsfoot oil over a double boiler. Got everything cooled down and started to work on applying. And, now that I'm reading this thread again, I think I missed the crucial part - HEAT. I don't know why I stopped working on it but I just couldn't get the waxy white residue to disappear as I was rubbing it in and I think I just got frustrated.

I did buy some SnoSeal a couple of weeks ago for my boots and it didn't dawn on me until today when I was applying it that I needed to add heat. I know Kate mentioned it in her post but I guess my limited brain capacity was already full or, as my wife would say, I just wasn't listening.

So, back to the workbench to see if heating it up will do the trick. I think I might need to stick with straight beeswax and oil mixture leaving out the paraffin. I think it's the paraffin that's leaving the white residue. I wonder how hot it needs to get to melt properly without deforming the holster at all. Maybe I'll try a hairdryer and then maybe i'll try using a propane torch for quick and dirty applicationsevillaugh.gif

...oh yeah, I do all my finishing after the holster is formed...even the edge work. I tried doing the edges before forming and found it to be a waste of time for me. I always had to go back and redo them at the end.

Edited by LeatherCaptain

I really like sno-seal as a sealer on my projects. I dont know about using parafin and bees wax on anything other then the edges.

With the sno-seal I usually apply one thin coat and let that dry over night and then buff it out, then Ill do another coat if the leather absorbed that pretty well. A hair dryer does a good job of helping it get worked into the leather. Only thing with sno-seal is you need to reapply everyonce in a while depending on how hard you use the project.

I've been finishing my holsters as follows:

Exterior - Bag Kote applied with a damp sponge.

Interior - Leather Sheen applied with a dauber as a final step.

Jeff