jdalberta1

removeable tapadero design ideas

Looking around at different tap designs and have yet to see one that fits the bill. My summer stirrups are 3 1/2" rawhide bound Bell style which I intend to fit to whatever tap design best suit. Stirrup leathers are turned. I could use taps mainly for wet spring conditions were riding in stirrup height brush routinely soaking my boots. Not sure about keeping the taps on all summer so a design that allows reasonably quick installation and removal would be great.

The basic wrap around endurance style is a bit plain for my taste and doesn't suit my modified Association hign cantel ranch saddle. Clean design with minimum weight and snag potential are design priorities, Bullnose or Monkey nose is most likely starting point. Not having to use attachment screws is prefered, Maybe incorporating my stirrup leather keeper for attaching the top will work along with latigo strings on either side of the tread.

Any ideas or photos would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jdalberta1

Looking around at different tap designs and have yet to see one that fits the bill. My summer stirrups are 3 1/2" rawhide bound Bell style which I intend to fit to whatever tap design best suit. Stirrup leathers are turned. I could use taps mainly for wet spring conditions were riding in stirrup height brush routinely soaking my boots. Not sure about keeping the taps on all summer so a design that allows reasonably quick installation and removal would be great.

The basic wrap around endurance style is a bit plain for my taste and doesn't suit my modified Association hign cantel ranch saddle. Clean design with minimum weight and snag potential are design priorities, Bullnose or Monkey nose is most likely starting point. Not having to use attachment screws is prefered, Maybe incorporating my stirrup leather keeper for attaching the top will work along with latigo strings on either side of the tread.

Any ideas or photos would be greatly appreciated.

You would be best served to make your taps with the stirrups installed and have a second set of stirrups to change out. It is easy to change out stirrups, but taking taps on and off is time consuming even when made with buckles for quick attachment. There are places where it is best to attach the tap more solidly, and it is easiest to just change the entire stirrup.

Keith

IMHO I think Keiths advice is spot on! I have an old pair of bulldogs that were my Dad's that I use in the cholla and mesquite and to get that tap off the stirrup would be tougher than passing health care legislation! And even if I did get it off I doubt I could ever get it back on where it fits like it does now. Stirrups aren't that expensive and it is very easy to change them out as oppossed to stripping off a tap.

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder