schemi

blue black spots

I have been working with leather for 9 years now and am self taught. I have had the problem of the blue and black spots on my leather after wetting. I know it is from contact with metal. I have always tossed my projects unless they needed to be dyed black. I recently found this site and have read about the oxolic acid but I cannot find it local and I do not have enough time to order any. Is there anything else I can use to remove these spots?

I have been working with leather for 9 years now and am self taught. I have had the problem of the blue and black spots on my leather after wetting. I know it is from contact with metal. I have always tossed my projects unless they needed to be dyed black. I recently found this site and have read about the oxolic acid but I cannot find it local and I do not have enough time to order any. Is there anything else I can use to remove these spots?

Do you have a hardware store close by? Typically all of them sell wood bleach which is usually plain Oxalic Acid (check the label before purchase).

example of the most popular brand:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/savogranwoodbleach12oz.aspx

My 4 year old goes to work with me every day so I would prefer not to have acid around cause sometimes he gets a little too curious. The lemon juice worked well so I am going to stick with it for now. Thanks for the help though.

That's a great tip thanks.

You will find "Barkeeper's Friend" in any cleaning aisle of grocery/hardware stores. It is oxalic acid, and I've used it successfully for several years now. Although the word acid appears as the ingredient it is classified in the same category as most household cleaners and the same care and caution should be used.

You can purchase oxalic acid thru a pharmacy. It is a little expensive but a little bit of the stuff in some water goes a long way. After I mix it I keep mine in a soda bottle, its clear so be very careful with it around children because it looks like a bottle of water.

I know this is old but the comment above about Bar Keepers Friend being oxalic acid intrigued me enough to go look for the MSDS sheet. I need to use it for getting rid of black spots on veg tan from metal snaps.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/files/file/MSDS/MSDS_BKF_Powder_2015.pdf