wintermte

Singer 29-4 usable?

Gunnarsson, if all you want is something to get into tight places and only for occasional use have you considered one of the cheap Chinese patchers? Might be good enough for what you want?

7 hours ago, dikman said:

Gunnarsson, if all you want is something to get into tight places and only for occasional use have you considered one of the cheap Chinese patchers? Might be good enough for what you want?

I've worked with chinese scooters. I've seen enough of their low price products to not really want a sewing machine built to the same standards, even if it's a mechanical all metal construction. But sure, if one turns up and the price is right, I would take a closer look at it - at the price they sell for new I wouldn't be interested. 

I brought mine a 29K53 for £99 fist class condition and runs as smooth as a baby's bum, quite a few available at reasonable prices in the UK, but EBay prices for all Industrial sewing machines are silly over the top prices in most cases not far off new clone prices of same spec 

Hello all. I’m hoping for some advise or help. I purchased a 29-4 that had spent years as a window display piece. It is well oiled and very clean, moving parts move, the leather belt from the treadle foot to the fly wheel is in good shape, everything is well lived. I’m running into a silly problem though. I can’t figure out how to put a needle in it. 

the manual that I have is clearly a poor scan from an old press printed manual, the pictures are unclear, the parts are labeled by old singer part numbers. Basically the literature that I have is useless. 

I think I’m missing the needle set screw. Or a component that the set screw goes into. I am having a very hard time finding a professional who will work on it (and it’s a pain in the ass to move) so any help would be huge. 

pics of the machine machine!

glenn