Sign in to follow this  
Petros

New machine from new member

Hello Folks,

I thought I would start out of the gate with my experience on the new stitcher I recently aquired. I wish to thank this forum and all who contributed to it for the valuable information contained within. I have only hand stitched leather my whole life and frankly, I hate it. After making a full set of saddle bags last year, I pretty much was burnt out for awhile. I love holster making but with so many ideas floating around in my head, it was daunting to want to try new ideas with the labor and time involved . So off to the internet to see whats what on stitching machines. I came across this forum through my searches and read everything I could about these things. I found sale machines, used machines and spendy machines. Hmm, what was I even looking at I would think to myself? Finaly figured out what this and that was for on a machine and come to the conclusion that one size does not fit all, just like my metal working equipment. Ok then, decided on a machine type and contacted multiple places along with reading about the companies themselves.

Now I am not trying to sway anyone with this post, it's just what happened for me at the time and people can use the experience to form thier own opinion when the time comes to purchase. I went with a class 3 Cobra from Leathermachines, aka Cobra Steve. I have to say that out of all the various metal machines, firearms, Harleys and other spendy items I've bought through the years, talking with him on the phone was a great experience. I had read many positve things on most sellers but, the phone call made the choice for me. I really really like to talk with people that know what they are talking about. It was a little more money than other units, however I don't fret about 10% when spending that kind of cash.

I ordered this machine when it was out of stock and waited 50 something days for it. I called a few times on order status and always was greeted well, just like the first call. A big plus for me. Machine came intact nicely finished and worked right away with no muss or fuss.

Currently I am sewing all my scraps together which is about a garbage bag full. I purposely turned all the adjustments to the least tension and proceded to make a few 8" squares of 2 chunks 8-9 oz leather. I am stitching rows with various tensions and recording the results. I figured this would be a good exersize to see what effects the tensioners have on things. So far so good. Much easier to use than an old Elgin fabric machine I have. I've been close to tossing that out the front door a few times!

Thanks again for the wonderful info. Off too the basement to try and make a presser foot with flip out groover for going around tight corners and curves.

<SNIP>Off too the basement to try and make a presser foot with flip out groover for going around tight corners and curves.

I too have a gorgeous new Cobra 3 - love that machine. Steve is a real peach, always there for my silly questions - I am real old fashioned and that level of customer service makes my whole day :)

If you get that foot made, I want to see it! (heck, I bet Steve wants to see it too!)

Kate

congrats on the new machine and good luck with it.i too enjoymetal working and have a barnful of 2 wheel toys.maybe i like to stitch leather because i love all things mechanical.love the sounds of harleys and ducatis as well as my 10 year old aerostitch.

regards shovelhead

Edited by shovelhead

Thanks Petros and Kate for the kind words. Call me anytime. Steve

I too have a gorgeous new Cobra 3 - love that machine. Steve is a real peach, always there for my silly questions - I am real old fashioned and that level of customer service makes my whole day smile.gif

If you get that foot made, I want to see it! (heck, I bet Steve wants to see it too!)

Kate

Well Kate, after monkeying around with the pressure foot deal and making a few demos, I don't think I'm gonna put anymore time into it. The parts are so small and delicate that it's not to feasable. When I made a more robust foot, it was too big for tight up close stitching. So I took Steves suggestion and ground the groover off the foot and polished it. I have been pre grooving my stitch lines and all is happy for now.

Very helpful information and I really appreciate your sincere comments. Your description of what started your sewing machine quest sounds very familiar to where I am at this moment. It is a difficult decision for some reason.