Hello everyone.

I make radio straps for firefighters. I’m using Angelus dyes on the strap to color it and any lettering/designs, I also use Angelus paint to boarder any dyed letters/designs. The trouble is I can’t seem to find a good sealer/finishing product that will keep it looking new (well at least as new as possible considering what they are subject to!) – most that I have used look great for the first couple of days, but then they have cracked or peeled. I’ve tried Acrylic Resolene, Saddle Lac, and currently Angelus Acrylic Finish.

I’m fairly new at this so please forgive my ignorance. Should the products I’ve mentioned work, and it’s just user error?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Craig

firefightershields@gmail.com

www.firefightershields.com

Here's something I do for belts and straps. After tooling but before drying out completely I draw the the strap fleshside down over the back over a chair. This is to stretch the grain side so that it doesnt stretch after any acrylic sealers or paint is put on wich I

m afraid could cause or assist in getting cracked.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I'll give that a try.

I believe that one problem I have is that the straps will bend in both directions - expanding then leveling, then contracting in the other direction. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a finish to handle that type of movement.

Craig

Flexing in both directions seem lika an even more probable cause to your probs. Te straps I've done so far, belts, guitarstraps and rifleslings are only bent in one direction

If you don't use acrylics perhaps you could try with something like Aussie leather conditioner and then leather balm for top finish. They are both fiebings products. Nowadays I almost never use acrylic sealer for belts and straps, only when I need to protect acrylic paints and then I usually aplly the acrylic where the paint is and conditioner+ balm for the rest.

So many options a ways to go with things made in leather and if they are expoaed to heat I should even be more worried about the acrylic sealers problem with cracking and flaking off.

I hope other chime in on this topic because it is interesting and I am in no means an expert on top finishes. Just fiddling my way with it but so far I haven't had much problems with it.

I think acrylic sealers detract some of the natural look that you get with leather balm ans similar products. There are many interesting ones available in US. In Sweden there is a very limited supply.

Tom