bennadatto

Screenprinting Leather?

All,

Good afternoon! I think it is possible to screenprint on leather, but haven't the slightest clue how to do this. Does anyone here know the best method of transferring an image to leather (other than stamping)?

Thanks!

I would imagine that you can screenprint, but I doubt the standard screenprinting ink you use for fabric would work very well on leather, since you have to get it pretty hot to set it. I know that laser etching looks very nice.

~Noah

hello there

the best way if you want a full color reproduction is the billy two shoes method,

go to the front page the video is there for purchase, if you cant find it PM Johanna.

I now the method but as it is a item that is sold here at LW I would suggest get that video its like 5 bucks.

Good Luck

Josh

I think it is possible to screenprint on leather, but haven't the slightest clue how to do this. Does anyone here know the best method of transferring an image to leather (other than stamping)?

I took some samples to a friend of mine who's a screen print shop manager, and explored this option a few years ago. Long story short, it would take special paints to screen print on leather that are very expensive, and though it doesn't require as much heat as the paint used with fabric, the heat required to cure it would still be very tough on the leather. I believe he also mentioned something about special handling because of how toxic the paint is. It can be done, but it's not very affordable or practical.

Kate