Sign in to follow this  
drof99

Making patterns

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with myself over a pattern. I've posted one other holster here that turned out ok and am trying to make another. I want to take my time and make this one good. I'm still having trouble coming up with a pattern that I like. I am trying to make a outside waistband holster. I'm not looking to make one that folds around the gun. I looking more for a pancake style holster. What is the best way to come up with a pattern? I would like it to come out pretty even on both sides and have belt holes built into the holster, not sewn on the back. I want the holster to be open where the muzzle is but not have the muzzle exposed much. This is giving me alot of trouble. I can get the shape I like but when I try to form it to the gun it ends up wrong. Also I have seen several people that have metal cookie cutter style patterns. I would like to make one of these. What and how does one go about making one of these? I've also seen some blue plastic guns where do these come from? How much do they cost? Hopefully I can get some ideas for my pattern, I had to put it all away to get a break. Gets a little frustrating for me. By the way if it matters the gun I'm trying to form for is a Springfield XD. Can anyone tell me if the holster book by Al is good for these sort of guns or is it geared towards cowboy guns? I'll get it tomorrow if it will help.

Here's an answer to part of your question:

http://www.copquest.com/21-2100.htm

XD is a very thick gun so I also am having some trouble getting it to look right. If I can I will try to post a couple of pics tomorrow, I made it with 3 parts but havn't sewn it together yet. 1. front is moulded over the gun 2. A flat back piece including sweat/pinch shield. 3. A strip sewn to the back with slots that allows the belt to exit between the back and the strip so slots are not seen from the front. I am not sure if it is going to work at this point it may be too bulky but I used scrap so it didn't cost much. As far as the shape I just played with scissors and paper until it looked right to me.

There seems to be a little bit of a wall we hit as far as patterns go. I know I did. I take a look through sites and see a design then try to draw it...then it comes out wrong. I start to over think it then get frustrated.

Anyway, one way I've found to cope, so to speak, it to take the previous holster, then adjust things about it that I did not like. Shape, length of belt loops etc. Basically trying to improve the fit of that particular pattern. Hopefully when it's done, it comes out a better version of the last. After that is right, maybe go to the next pattern. Or if that patter is money, maybe do it for a different pistol. Anyway, just an approach I am trying. YMMV.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was getting upset yesterday and just had to get away from it. Jordan be sure and put those pics up, I'm interested. Once you do find the pattern you like, how do you keep it so you can make that pattern again? I've some people make a cookie cutter stlye thing.

pics

P4070121.JPG

P4070122.JPG

P4070124.JPG

post-4868-1207570578_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1207570610_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1207570636_thumb.jpg

DROF99....HERE'S MY FAVORITE STYLE OF CARRY HOLSTER...I MADE THIS HOLSTER ABOUT 8 YRS AGO..IT'S VERY COMFORTABLE AND SECURE..I CARRY IT DAILY, ALL DAY LONG....WHEN I GET MY PATTERN THE WAY I WANT IT, I TRANSFER IT TO POSTER BOARD AND LABEL IT. THEN I FILE IT IN MY PATTERN DRAWER FOR FUTURE USE...

HOLSTER1.jpgHOLSTER2.jpg

post-6985-1215921047_thumb.jpg

post-6985-1215921060_thumb.jpg