LadyJ

New Member who uses what you make!

I discovered this site while researching modern spur makers today. Although I have absolutely no talent for working leather, I have a passion for using and collecting it. I actually wear my leather cowboy gear on the ranch and then add a few embellishments, and a gun rig, and use it to shoot Cowboy Action on the weekends.

Then to be totally schizophrenic, I ride endurance horses in English tack, so I was particularly delighted to see an English saddlemaker in the new member gallery today.

Welcome LadyJ

You'll find the nicest people here on the net:-)

LadyJ, even though your not a leatherworker, you are more than welcome to hang out, drink the coffee (careful with the donuts) as we can always use an unbiased opinion from time to time. Enjoy the forum and sit back relax and let us know what you think every now and again.

Ken

LadyJ, even though your not a leatherworker, you are more than welcome to hang out, drink the coffee (careful with the donuts) as we can always use an unbiased opinion from time to time. Enjoy the forum and sit back relax and let us know what you think every now and again.Ken
Thanks Beaverslayer! I am having that coffee :coffeecomp: and have been enjoying everyone's work. The thumbnail attachments you all use to share your work is very helpful. Your website is well done. I am getting a lot of ideas and finding some potential sources for items I really need.
Welcome LadyJYou'll find the nicest people here on the net:-)
Thanks Tina. Whose on the horse?

welcome Lady J...............

enjoy your visit.....

(Cactus Luke..sass # 26182)

Well, that's me from last fall visiting my daughter in Sweden (hense the english sadle and tack). I use to do horse back riding all the time growing up, not so much these days but is isn't because I don't like it, just the lack of opportunity to do so:-)

Have a fab day//Tina

Hi Joane welcome to the forum, Don

LadyJ, even though your not a leatherworker, you are more than welcome to hang out, drink the coffee (careful with the donuts) as we can always use an unbiased opinion from time to time. Enjoy the forum and sit back relax and let us know what you think every now and again.

Ken

Yeah, no kiddin' about the donuts. Who the heck put onions on 'em? Bagels?.....oh. :rolleyes2:

Welcome to the forum LadyJ. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of sources for your interests, here.

Lady J

I just found this site also

The people here are great and down to earth

Hope you find what your looking for

welcome Lady J...............

enjoy your visit.....

(Cactus Luke..sass # 26182)

Hi Luke,

I thought I might find SASS members on this site. :yeah: Do you make your own gunleather? Do you shoot regularly?

Lady J

SASS # 24711

Hi Joane welcome to the forum, Don

Hi Don,

I have been looking at your holsters and must say they certainly got my attention. I have a couple of antique collecter holsters and your work is, particularly the Furstnow, is better than the original! Thanks for posting the pictures. Would an original winchester 32-20 fit in that scabbard?

Lady J

Yeah, no kiddin' about the donuts. Who the heck put onions on 'em? Bagels?.....oh. :rolleyes2:

Welcome to the forum LadyJ. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of sources for your interests, here.

Hi Hedge,

I really like the Quigley belt. I have a .45-70 which I leave on the guncart at shoots. Inevitably, one of the guests will ask if they can shoot it. I love to watch their faces when they shoot a fully loaded cartridge -- hehehe!

Lady J

Lady J

I just found this site also

The people here are great and down to earth

Hope you find what your looking for

Thanks! I have been finding all kinds of fun things here!

Lady J

Hi Luke,

I thought I might find SASS members on this site. :yeah: Do you make your own gunleather? Do you shoot regularly?

Lady J

SASS # 24711

You might find several SASS members at this site also. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html

Hi Hedge,

I really like the Quigley belt. I have a .45-70 which I leave on the guncart at shoots. Inevitably, one of the guests will ask if they can shoot it. I love to watch their faces when they shoot a fully loaded cartridge -- hehehe!

Lady J

Thanks, LadyJ. It was fun to make. Especially examining the details of the original and then reproducing it.

What model .45-70 do you have? I picked up an 1885 Win and installed an Axtell mid-range vernier on it. Sure is fun to lob a 500 gr hunk of lead 500 yds down range and watch the plate drop. 'course ya gotta have patience while waiting for it to get there! Sorta like shoulder mounted artillery. :)

I know what you mean about full loads. I pushed a few while working up something that would satisfy my shoulder and rifle. OUCH!

You might find several SASS members at this site also. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html

Hi Anne,

I have visited Cascity since its inception and always enjoy it.

Lady J

Hi again Anne,

I was just looking at your question about your chaps. Did someone answer it for you? You picked about the most difficult type of chaps to learn on or to wear --- full shotgun chaps. They are used by cowboys in cold climates as they really are good protection from bad weather. I prefer chinks that have a couple of strap with clips across the back of my thighs. They protect you from the trees and brush but are not hot in the summer. (I can also get them on myself without the help it takes to put on full shotguns). I have a pair of my chinks on in the marshmellow roasting pic and in the other picture you can see the backs on some of the other people.

Lady J

joroastingmarsh.jpeg

Jo__sarabs_wildburrohunting_007.jpg

post-6371-1207758852_thumb.jpg

post-6371-1207758901_thumb.jpg

Well, that's me from last fall visiting my daughter in Sweden (hense the english sadle and tack). I use to do horse back riding all the time growing up, not so much these days but is isn't because I don't like it, just the lack of opportunity to do so:-)

Have a fab day//Tina

You know Tina, I JUST put in a horse camp at the back end of my property, and it's right in pristine 900 acres of National Forest... Consider an opprotunity if you want it- My mare's due to have a foal any day now, and soon Ill be building a guest cabin at that same back end of the property... Ya can truck the horses out and often enough, we have extras in our group if ya want...

Hi again Anne,

I was just looking at your question about your chaps. Did someone answer it for you? You picked about the most difficult type of chaps to learn on or to wear --- full shotgun chaps. They are used by cowboys in cold climates as they really are good protection from bad weather. I prefer chinks that have a couple of strap with clips across the back of my thighs. They protect you from the trees and brush but are not hot in the summer. (I can also get them on myself without the help it takes to put on full shotguns). I have a pair of my chinks on in the marshmellow roasting pic and in the other picture you can see the backs on some of the other people.

Lady J

joroastingmarsh.jpeg

Jo__sarabs_wildburrohunting_007.jpg

Yes, I got my questions answered on this forum. It was more the things I didn't know that were some of those things you learn on your own unless you take a class or have someone show you step by step. Well it is a good thing to know that if these were the most difficult the others should be a breeze. As to wearing them..... no problem very easy to wear and putting them on is no issue either.

Anne

Thanks, LadyJ. It was fun to make. Especially examining the details of the original and then reproducing it.

What model .45-70 do you have? I picked up an 1885 Win and installed an Axtell mid-range vernier on it. Sure is fun to lob a 500 gr hunk of lead 500 yds down range and watch the plate drop. 'course ya gotta have patience while waiting for it to get there! Sorta like shoulder mounted artillery. :)

I know what you mean about full loads. I pushed a few while working up something that would satisfy my shoulder and rifle. OUCH!

Hi Again Hedge,

I have a Springfield Trapdoor, Cadet Model that was used for competitive shooting with specials site, armory maintained. Late 1880's and it have been in a case under a bed in a small mining town since it was bought by the man I bought if from when he got out of the army after WWII. The barrel looked better than my new hunting rifles. and YES, even downloaded --- it takes my breath away when I pull the trigger.

So what do you shoot in pistols? and of course, what type of a gun rig do you prefer for them?

Lady J

Hi Again Hedge,

I have a Springfield Trapdoor, Cadet Model that was used for competitive shooting with specials site, armory maintained. Late 1880's and it have been in a case under a bed in a small mining town since it was bought by the man I bought if from when he got out of the army after WWII. The barrel looked better than my new hunting rifles. and YES, even downloaded --- it takes my breath away when I pull the trigger.

So what do you shoot in pistols? and of course, what type of a gun rig do you prefer for them?

Lady J

Holy cow! You've got a rare and expensive piece of iron there. Glad to see that you shoot it, though. That's what it's meant for. And what a cool history on it. Got a pic? I'd love to see the sight set up.

Pistol-wise, I shoot a Colt SAA .44-40 4-3/4 bbl to match the '73 replica chambering. Made my own rig for the Colt. When I get another Colt, I'll make a second holster for it. (being a poor retired guy, I have to borrow a boomer and another pistol when I shoot with the CAS guys.)

For combat shooting, I stick with a .45 ACP Combat Commander. Sure love them Colts. Both will stay within 1" at 30 feet.

GunRig01.jpg

1885a.jpg

post-6209-1207802685_thumb.jpg

post-6209-1207803134_thumb.jpg

You know Tina, I JUST put in a horse camp at the back end of my property, and it's right in pristine 900 acres of National Forest... Consider an opprotunity if you want it- My mare's due to have a foal any day now, and soon Ill be building a guest cabin at that same back end of the property... Ya can truck the horses out and often enough, we have extras in our group if ya want...

I will for sure pop into your place when I'm in the neighborhood of yours, great thanks for the kind invitation:-)

Holy cow! You've got a rare and expensive piece of iron there. Glad to see that you shoot it, though. That's what it's meant for. And what a cool history on it. Got a pic? I'd love to see the sight set up.

Pistol-wise, I shoot a Colt SAA .44-40 4-3/4 bbl to match the '73 replica chambering. Made my own rig for the Colt. When I get another Colt, I'll make a second holster for it. (being a poor retired guy, I have to borrow a boomer and another pistol when I shoot with the CAS guys.)

For combat shooting, I stick with a .45 ACP Combat Commander. Sure love them Colts. Both will stay within 1" at 30 feet.

I absolutely love the rig you made for your colt! Make some like it for sale and you could buy any Colt you wanted.

I have a Colt which I do shoot when I find time to reload for it, as a box of 50 cartridges was very pricey when a couple of the cowboy ammo companies finally came out with some loads for the gun. When I bought it, it was an obsolete cartridge (except for the 5 1/2 boxes of original ammo that came with the gun) it was impossible to find bullets for it. Someone had replaced its pearl grips with a pastic pair. It was in an estate sale from an old rancher's belongings. When I checked out all the serial numbers and they all matched -- I was shocked that it was original. I got a very good deal on it! That was 10+ years ago. I knew that sooner or later with the growth in cowboy action, someone would revive the old cartridges and they did about 2 years after I bought the gun. I had Colt restore the original elephant ivory grips and it shoots like you describe your gun shooting.

Somewhere I have a pic of the Springfield but until I find it, would a pic of Colt be a fair trade for the pics you shared?

Lady J

I found the Springfield pics before the Colt so both are attached. I also found one with my Winchester 32-20 in my hand so I added that one as well (if I have a real favorite gun, it is the turn of the century Winchester). The only pic of the Springfield with the site up is so dark I doubt you can see much but you can see a little of it in the one I have not played much with the sight as I rarely distance shoot at all.

Joane

Golden_Colt_with_sn.jpg

serial_number_489466__made_spring_1890.jpg

Springfield_Trapdoor_1878_Model_003acloseup.jpg

Springfield_Trapdoor_1878_Model_009.jpg

Springfield_Trapdoor_1878_Model_010.jpg

Lady_J_as_Outlaw.jpg

post-6371-1207944537_thumb.jpg

post-6371-1207944572_thumb.jpg

post-6371-1207944594_thumb.jpg

post-6371-1207944646_thumb.jpg

post-6371-1207944928_thumb.jpg

post-6371-1207945050_thumb.jpg

I absolutely love the rig you made for your colt! Make some like it for sale and you could buy any Colt you wanted.

I have a Colt which I do shoot when I find time to reload for it, as a box of 50 cartridges was very pricey when a couple of the cowboy ammo companies finally came out with some loads for the gun. When I bought it, it was an obsolete cartridge (except for the 5 1/2 boxes of original ammo that came with the gun) it was impossible to find bullets for it. Someone had replaced its pearl grips with a pastic pair. It was in an estate sale from an old rancher's belongings. When I checked out all the serial numbers and they all matched -- I was shocked that it was original. I got a very good deal on it! That was 10+ years ago. I knew that sooner or later with the growth in cowboy action, someone would revive the old cartridges and they did about 2 years after I bought the gun. I had Colt restore the original elephant ivory grips and it shoots like you describe your gun shooting.

Somewhere I have a pic of the Springfield but until I find it, would a pic of Colt be a fair trade for the pics you shared?

Lady J

Thanks! Yup, I'm always up for selling the things I make. Just have to find the right customers. People around my neck of the woods

are a bit tight with thier money, though. :)

Dagnabbit! Now why can't I run across great deals like that! :huh:

Congrats on the Colt. And a passal of original ammo, to boot! I'm betting

it's a .32-20 and matches your rifle.

A friend of mine collects '73s and says the .32 shoots more accurately than the .44.

Pearl grips? :eusa_naughty: Glad to see you put ivory stocks on it. Makes the best looking SAA.

You bet a pic of the Colt will do until you find the Springfield. Anxiously awaiting a looksee. :)