UKRay

Cheap Business Cards

Just wondered what the feeling was about cheap business cards - you know the sort of thing, the ones that get offered to you in junk e-mail three times a week. Cheap template deals from digital print companies.

The reason I ask is that I'm concerned about the impression I give about my business but don't have money to splash around. These cards look (on the surface) to be a great way of getting a lot for a little (cash!). But do people recognise them as cheap and do they care? I don't want to 'cheapen' my business in the eyes of potential customers.

Does anyone else use them and if so, what do you think should be included on them other than contact details? I was wondering about putting a range of products on the back...

All thoughts welcome.

Ray

I used to design my own cards and then print them on cardstock. Ink is too expensive, and the cardstock isn't as professional looking. www.vistaprint.com lets you design whatever you want, right in your browser. I got nice quality cards at a good price, and the shipping was nominal. They threw in a post it note pad and some magnets with my same theme to entice me to buy more stuff from them. All I would need to do is log on to my account and reorder.

Johanna

I actually used address labels for a while. Now, some of the guys are laughing (and the gals are saying I'm cute, but have no class :) ). But that little bit of stupidity got people talking... You know, ...

what's with the bald guy with the goofy stickers ...?

What guy?

That Jeff guy with JLS Leather ....

Then of course, they can't wait to tell their friends how stupid that is ... not a long-term stupid, like that guy who made MILLIONS with "Got milk?"

One other little thing ... my wife is from New Zealand. I'm constantly "getting it wrong" and telling them she's from New Guinea, or Newfoundland, ... and let them know that my materials are domestic ... only the girl is imported.

Point is, anything that will get them talking about you (if the quality follows). May be some little cost involved, like when your 2-year-old tells you he wants to go for a "rod inna cah"...

For any others reading the topic, it's better if your card, your makers mark (if applicable), your web banner, your yellow page ad(s), all match from the start ...

Hi, Ray. I had the same question a few years ago, so I logged onto a web site and designed what I thought would be an attractive business card. Of course, the web site limited me in what fonts and colors I could use, but I liked the fact that it offered a templated design. With shipping and everything, I believe I spent about $30. When the cards arrived, I was really disappointed. They looked cheap -- like they were laser printed on inexpensive card stock. I threw 'em in the trash.

The next day, I went to my local print shop and asked to see their business card samples. I picked out the nicest card stock they had and selected a glossy, black raised-lettering. I waited about a week for them to get printed up, and boy, was it worth it. The business cards look sharp -- which is the image I'm trying to project with my leatherwork. Total cost $45.

As with anything, you get what you pay for. My preference was to use the best quality materials available for anything that promotes my work.

One more thing -- with the local print shop, I was able to design my own business card from scratch using Adobe Photoshop. I then gave them the PSD and a PDF copy, which they exactly replicated on the business card. Very nice if you're using special fonts, designs or images.

The web sites that offer these services have much more limited (or templated) options.

I used to design my own cards and then print them on cardstock. Ink is too expensive, and the cardstock isn't as professional looking.....

Johanna

I designed our card and print them as needed on plain cardstock on an inkjet printer. They're black and white and simple. They have our name and contact information on them as most cards do, and with a simple message that says "We would like for you to buy your fabric from us!". They look "homemade", or some may say "cheap". That's ok, I want them to look that way. Our logo on everything (cards, signs, advertising, website, etc) is simply our business name in simple fonts. Sometimes it's best not to go too fancy with things. It can be misinterpreted as a vain attempt at trying to be something that you're not.

We're a little "Mom and Pop" shop, and our customers know it. They know we have a little old store with no employees, and that we do everything ourselves, including our website, bookkeeping, tax reports, remote sales at shows, alterations, mending, and sweeping the floor. (Exception: We pay a guy to wash our store windows once or twice a month for $5 a pop.) Our entire business is designed to be "plain" or "common" in appearance, the way people remember stores being in the old days before everything got so expensive. Not that stores were that way back then, but it's how people remember them being. We believe that most people are looking for economy in a small rural fabric center, and know perfectly well who pays for the "fancy" overhead that they see at some businesses. Our customers take the fancy home with them when they buy our products. The signs are still up on the store fronts around town from the discontinued businesses that brought fancy to the folks around here for 1-3 months before they closed down.

For some, a very elaborate card would be very appropriate. For others, a nice professionally produced card would be best. But for some, a simple homemade card can be both economical and effective.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Some very interesting observations. Thanks, people.

I was also looking at VistaPrint (I was ahead of you Johanna!) and have now had my cards delivered. My first impression is that they provide an exceptional service at a very reasonable price, not inspired but perfectly adequate. However, I'm still interested to know how people look at cheap business cards.

For example, when I worked in Japan the whole business card thing was seen as very important. If someone gives you a business card it is seen as impolite to stuff the thing in your pocket without taking time to look at it and appreciate the thought that went into the design. I kinda hold with this myself. A very nice idea and one that makes you take a bit of time with your 'business identity'.

Somehow, I can't see a well respected Japanese business person ordering from Vistaprint - although I could be wrong... Is this relevant? I don't know.

How do you folks feel about it?

Ray

Ray - we used to make ours up on blank index cards with a rubber stamp....

this was after watching children at the miniture shows collect cards from every vendor and then before they could go home their parents made them trash the stack of cards.

they looked "ok" for a rubberstamp on an index card - just took time to make them (it was Dad's "job" = keep him out of Mom's hair for an afternoon - giggle) this was also pre computer for me - early 80's (I didn't have a machine that could do cards till about 94)

I make cards for our SCA group with print shop and photocopies on plain paper.

they also get trashed quite a lot. We also hand out a blue million of the silly things at demos and such. We went through about 200 at the last one.

Last time I had cards printed it was $7.00 for a hundred copies at ten to a page.

We do demo flyers that way too -- we call them "flyer lights" and they have the name of the event and when and where and a web address. This is also cheaper to pass out by the "millions" (also easier to carry around with you)

I see business cards in the SCA from cheap homeprinted to very expensive ones and you know something?

they all tell me the same info

business name

personal name and address

website (if there is one)

phone number

and the people that pay a bunch of money are sooooo stingy with giving out cards you would think that they were made of gold leaf or something. I can understand not giveing out to kids willy nilly but an adult that is intrested in your work?

I also relize that what we do with cards is not what you all do with them - but I thought I would toss my thoughts in the pot.

zazzle.com has really reasonably priced business cards that you can customize.

INitially reading this, I was about to mention the japanese custom of analysing the card itself, it reveals a lot about a persons work and if youwant to be professional which is the impression your website gives UKray, then it is as important as you make it.

And I feel the best way for you to define your cards perfect image is to go round every shop in town and get their business cards, take them all home and make notes on what you like, whats missing, whats too much, what looks cheap etc

Your going to end up with a better impression of whats good for you.

In my mind however heres whats close to perfect.

Noticable, distinct and unique clean cut logo that doesn't look like flash image

Full contact details (I'm sure you have to have this for legal reasons anyway technically) that don't take up loads of room or distract from the overall feel.

If you go with sample images, I think they should be teasers at best and gently faded to the side or overlapping a corner for example. But make sure it's your very best image.

As you may know from browsing in japan, symetrical simple clean elegant lines are prominent, I happen to love them.

If you were in japan I would suggest an extreme close up on a light background of PERFECT stitching on stingray with your details on top...using textured paper....( I meant card obviously)

Edited by 8thsinner

I use cardstock & laser jet. To many times the shop has made an error. SO I ask which is better a cheaper card that you always have on hand or do you tell that potential client that sorry but you are out of cards.

Al

I use cardstock & laser jet. To many times the shop has made an error. SO I ask which is better a cheaper card that you always have on hand or do you tell that potential client that sorry but you are out of cards.

Al

well you could always do purchased cards and have a little stash of homemade ones for "backup"

It would be better than saying "sorry, out of cards - let me scribble down my info for you"

Al

That reminds me of another benefit of producing your own cards.

When something changes in your contact information, the change can be implemented immediately. We print just a few at a time as we need them, and recently changed our web name. The new "dot com" was on our cards the same day.

It can be hard to dispose of a box of 500 expensive raised letter, embossed, 3-color cards, and when I used to buy that type, I would do as most do, and mark through the incorrect information and pen in the changes. I didn't realize how bad it looked until I got some of them from other people. A couple of them gave me their card and then immediately said "Let me have that back, that's not the right phone number anymore". After I got home and looked at the card again, they had scribbled the new number on the card, but I couldn't read it clearly (is that a "7" or a "1"?). Kind of ruins the effect of an elegant card.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

I don't think anyone has any doubts about the need for a business card, guys, but my question was about quality.

Let's say I produce a home made laser printed card myself or even order a cheapo business card from Vistaprint with all the right details on it, will people think that my business is potentially inferior to one that has its cards beautifully printed and presented? I think they might... what do you think?

Ray

I don't think anyone has any doubts about the need for a business card, guys, but my question was about quality.

Let's say I produce a home made laser printed card myself or even order a cheapo business card from Vistaprint with all the right details on it, will people think that my business is potentially inferior to one that has its cards beautifully printed and presented? I think they might... what do you think?

Ray

card.JPG

Not the greatest picture, but here is the back and the front of the cards I got inexpensively from Vistaprint. The cardstock is heavy enough to proclaim "quality", and I love the "leatherish" design.

~J

post-5-126850239668_thumb.jpg

When i get cards i get raised ink printing. It cost a little more but it sure does look nice. Homemade cards make me think that if the person is to cheap to get a better grade card they might be the same with with the materials and quality of their work. It's like a first impression when you meet somebody some you like right off the bat and others you don't. Plus you can take the cost of the cards off of your taxes.

I don't know about anybody else, but I DO NOT base my buying decision on the quality of there business cards. I want to see what they are capable of doing not their printer.

I said, they MIGHT be the same way when their materials and work when i was talking about the quality of their cards. Not that they WERE. I want to see something they have done to. But what do i know not much.

Edited by dirtclod

I said, they MIGHT be the same way when their materials and work when i was talking about the quality of their cards. Not that they WERE. I want to see something they have done to. But what do i know not much.

I heard what you were saying, Dirtclod, and, as usual, am inclined to agree with you. Personally, I think you know a lot more than you let on... LOL

Equally, colttrainer's point is valid - of course it is my work that counts in the end not my printer's work. But first I have to get the customer interested enough to take a look.

As crafts people I would hope we would all take time to assess a person's work rather than make decisions based on their business card. Unfortunately we live in a world of conspicuous consumerism where people are judged by designer labels and by the car they drive. This extends to the way they brand their business and how they present themselves in a meeting.

Perhaps the US is different, but here in the UK a person is generally 'judged and hung' on first impressions. Seeing my business card is often the first time a potential customer 'meets' my business' 'face' so obviously I'm concerned that I present the best face possible and give myself the best possible chance of doing business ever time I hand out a card.

I have looked at Johanna's card and sure enough it is a very good looking piece of work and exactly what I would expect from someone who has achieved so much (some might say the impossible) and now has no need to impress anyone with business card bling. It is a good solid piece of business collateral and is not pretentious in any way. I should also add that she did a much better design job than I did!

However, I'm asking if bling has a value with customers that goes beyond a casual glance and a nod of approval. Does the look and feel of raised ink printing add value to my business offering? If it does then I want it. I want my business to look better than my competition in every way. What do you think about that?

Every one has a opinion, All I have seen so far on this site is every one trying to justify why their opinion is the right one. That is so sad to see.

You all have a good day, this was the last straw as they say. I won't bother with people that are that closed minded.

Every one has a opinion, All I have seen so far on this site is every one trying to justify why their opinion is the right one. That is so sad to see.

You all have a good day, this was the last straw as they say. I won't bother with people that are that closed minded.

My sincere apologies if you are offended by anything I have said but I really don't know what you are offended by. This is simply a place for discussion and trying to work out ideas. People do need to justify their ideas to others and I'm looking to be convinced by sound arguments. Your contribution is as valuable as anyone else's.

Instead of saying you 'won't bother' why not add something of consequence to the conversation instead of walking away. You might be surprised at the response.

Ray

Don't sweat it Ray, I'm rereading 4 times now and I still don't see the burr under the saddle. Forums are a lot different than a conversation.

Cards are very cheap, and you can get as little as a couple hundred at a time, and it looks much more professional, no matter how simple the design. I've had a bad experience with vistaprint the last time I ordered. Hidden costs so a good deal turned into a gouge, all the stupid popups and offers to get stuff I didn't want, then it took 2 weeks for delivery. I'll probably go back to uprinting.com next time, or even a local print shop. I design my own, color printing both sides.

In my experience (non-leather businesses), you have to take yourself seriously before anyone else will. That means a clean presentation - layout, cards, website, even the clothes that you wear. If your work is top notch, you're doing it a disservice if you half ass how you deal with customers. If all you do is great work but crap presentation, you might stay busy. But most people out there don't know quality if it bit them in the ass - you have to do a bit of dancing to get their cash.

Ray,

This is an edited version of this post as I just re-read my original in 'preview post' and it was a rambling, off the point, sack of whatever.

My experience says that you may need to produce the card that suits your potential customer pool.

We run a small family B&B as well as me doing some leatherwork.

We've had 2 lots of cards produced. The B&B card is colourful, loads of information, printed on both sides and on plain white card. Had 1,000 made and we throw them around like confetti.

For the leatherwork business the cards are on a parchment style paper, two colours only, discreet logo and with sufficient information for people to get in touch. I hand these out usually face to face after a quick 'elevator pitch'.

Perhaps you need two types - a 'bespoke' card for personal distribution with a cheaper one for places like shows where people have seen the quality of your work and just want to know how to get in touch. Something like Vistaprint would be fine for the latter option.

We use a local print shop and they are a lot easier to use than an internet company. They provide us with photos, the right type of paper, our choice of font and so on at no extra cost. Okay, they aren't free but they are reasonable and reprints are easy to get and changes are easy to make.

Just my tuppence.

Gary

Why stop at business cards. What about your clothes/car/home/shop/wife/husband/kids. Do they speak quality! As far as the cards go, as long as the information is correct and to the point I don't see someone losing business over the fact that some cards cost a few penny's or a quarter each. Get a custom stamp made and make your cards out of leather. I could buy the best cards there are and do bad work, but would the cards fool some people? My thought has always been, My work speaks for itself even with home printed cards.

charlie

Charlie

I agree with you 100%. It is to bad that most people these days have to have every thing bigger, better & fancier than the next person. An older gentleman told me those people are unhappy with their lives.

Edited by colttrainer