UKRay

Cheap Business Cards

Why stop at business cards. What about your clothes/car/home/shop/wife/husband/kids. Do they speak quality! As far as the cards go, as long as the information is correct and to the point I don't see someone losing business over the fact that some cards cost a few penny's or a quarter each. Get a custom stamp made and make your cards out of leather. I could buy the best cards there are and do bad work, but would the cards fool some people? My thought has always been, My work speaks for itself even with home printed cards.

charlie

I don't think the issue is how much the cards cost, Charlie, and the rest is a tad unworthy of you. Nobody is suggesting anything like that.

The first point is that cost doesn't enter into this. The issue is that many prospective customers do judge a person on first glance and don't bother to look deeper. Why do you think people buy branded goods and pay more for them? The supermarket's 'own brand' is cheaper and often identical but they like to buy the best 'name' and will pay a premium price for that. If they bothered to look a little harder they would save money, but no - they want the one with the impressive looking packaging.

Okay, some folks may be happy to pitch their stuff at 'branded goods' level but I want to sell mine - which is no better or worse than anyone else's - for top dollar. Hence I want to find the best way of impressing the guy with the money. I don't care if it is a cheap way or an expensive way as long as it makes my stuff sell for more money than I'm getting now. Is that wrong?

Point two is that nobody is trying to fool anyone else. That isn't the intention. This is simply about trying to hold the attention of the prospective buyer long enough to get a piece of work in front of them. I guess, if people are dealing in $5 pocket items made from Tandy kits that isn't too much of an issue, but if they move up a grade or two and start talking about $500-$1000 dollar deals then they want to have the best chance possible to sell. It is obvious that buyers are a lot more discerning about who they deal with as the cash stakes rise...

I like your idea of a custom stamp a lot and maybe that is the way to go. A card that accurately represents the quality of your work - now wouldn't that be a cool thing? Expensive though - wouldn't you say? Very classy looking but much more expensive and a definite improvement on a home printed card. Nice idea and it would say a whole lot more about the person who made it. Maybe along the lines of a 'trading card' like people made for the PIF. Thanks for the input. I'm obliged.

John, your idea of raised ink printing caught my attention and now I've seen one of your cards I am very impressed. Nice, classy and low key. I'd do business with you! LOL

I'm also impressed with the idea of two cards... a bespoke leather card for people who really matter and a 'lesser' card for everyday use. Thanks for that Gary.

You are quite right, this is just about 'doing a bit of dancing' to get bigger and better orders, Bustedthumb - and it sounds like you should add a bit more to this discussion...

Ray

Who is your audience? Are they people who give out embossed cards with raised print? Then that is what they expect a "quality" business to do. Are you headed for a more "artisitic" audience? The the cards should have a more "artistic" flair. Are they more "practical"? "Why waste your money on fancy cards? I just need to know you phone number!" Then you should have plainer cards with the information in a plain font. Matching the card to the customer's expectations would be the most important. Finding that out is the trick.

I was going to stay out of this, But I keep reading. So here goes all have good points, some maybe don't make sense to me, but who am I. But after having worked all my life as self employed, I do know that what is on the card ( design, info etc. ) is by far the most important, if you can achieve the look you want at home on a inexpensive card that is great, some may not. I my self pass cards out like they cost nothing, the more that are out the better the chances. Somebody said they are a tax write off, yes they are but rule one you have to make money to be able to write them off. So the less I have to spend the less I have to make!

AL

Good point, Denise - who are the audience for our business cards?

Do we ever know who we are going to do business with?

I think sometimes we do. For example, I know that I'm only going to sell a top of the range hand-stitched leather bag to someone who has quite a bit of disposable income - essentially they will have plenty of money.

I like customers like this because they tend to spend what it takes rather than be penny-pinching. I hate a tight-wad! In fact, I would go so far as to say I would choose to make stuff for this kind of customer every time if I could. The problem is that because they have money they can choose to go anywhere for their purchase. In order to get their business I almost have to impress from the outset to get the order.

These are the hardest customers to win, but like I say, I would only work for them if I could. They are less hassle and they spend more. The profit is better and the work is more enjoyable. But how do I interest them in looking at my work when they have never seen me before?

In these circumstances I would probably choose a very good quality business card or maybe even a handmade leather one (I love that idea 'cos if it is nice enough they won't be able to throw it away so easily).

At the other end of the scale, I make straps for cat baskets and bicycle baskets. They sell for little money but I do tend to sell them to stores in quantity. The store just needs my contact details so I currently use a VistaPrint card. It looks neat and tidy and is quite distinctive in a mass-produced sort of a way. It works.

Although it seems to bring success for some people, personally, I don't see a shotgun marketing approach working for me because although it allows you to reach out to lots of people, you generally have to strike lucky on the day to make a sale. I'd rather target 'qualified' potential customers more closely - niche marketing has always been more effective for me and tends to bring good results quite quickly if I get it right.

How long do people keep cards for - I don't know.

I'm also not sure if people keep hand-made or mass produced business cards as long as they do nicely printed ones which is why I started the topic.

I'm almost certain that a leather card will stay around longest... ...and cost most to make!

What do you think?

Ray

Let me clarify what I meant by handing them out like candy. I don't just give them to everyone. But when a happy customer leaves they leave with a hand ful of cards. I will also leave cards with other businesses that have a clientel simalar to mine (if they will allow it) and I return the favor.

Al

As a customer I appreciate a nice card, I believe in first impressions, if the card itself is the introduction then later they see the great product then the card was the intro to the goods, if the goods are lacking all the fancy cards are wasted.

I produced 4H and commercial hogs, about 1/3 were show pigs to 4H and FFA kids they were all born in the late winter and I needed to market for them the season prior, in addition to the year before sales, shows and fairs I only had business cards and fliers showing the potential of the pigs to come, I can only sell pigs for the following season based on the clients perception that I had in the past produced quality pigs and the literature and business cards helped promote that expectation that the pigs to come were indeed as nice as had been produced in the past. I also ran a horse boarding and training barn, most folks first impression is only my word and the literature I give them, I made it as nice as I could. I found nice quality cards helpful to catch prospective clients, later as they saw the hogs and the facilities the quality cards were a reminder and well as an introduction to the type of product we offered. Besides in the scheme of things the total expense of cards was minimal compared to other forms of promotion. I did on occasion have card made up the same as the best cards using cheaper paper and flat ink for mass distribution, but they still were much nicer than home made and NEVER those perforated DIY types on the home printer.

I have been reading this fellows articles, while he is focused on the horse industry the principles can easily be applied to any business. Many inexpensive and common things can be done to boost exposure.

Convert Prospects Into Clients

The Profitable Horseman

JMO

laminating you inkjet/laser business cards also works wonders I made my sisters cards this way as she only needed a few at a time. Another online print place is www.moo.com which I've heard good things about.

Cheers,

Clair

laminating you inkjet/laser business cards also works wonders I made my sisters cards this way as she only needed a few at a time. Another online print place is www.moo.com which I've heard good things about.

Cheers,

Clair

I have my cards professionally done and buy 1000 at a time. They are very reasonable, cost effective. $90 per 1000. I get a lot of compliments on them. A retired, very successful businessman told me when I first started that business cards are a true representation of your business. Cheap or homemade business cards SCREAM all the things you don't want the public, your customers to think about you.

Like you are a novice, no confidence, cheap, little substance, very little pride in your business and a corner cutter. I threw my "nice" home made cards away that afternoon and ordered some professional cards and have used them ever since. He might have been wrong but success is hard to argue with. Just my view! Ken

I have my cards professionally done and buy 1000 at a time. They are very reasonable, cost effective. $90 per 1000. I get a lot of compliments on them. A retired, very successful businessman told me when I first started that business cards are a true representation of your business. Cheap or homemade business cards SCREAM all the things you don't want the public, your customers to think about you.

Like you are a novice, no confidence, cheap, little substance, very little pride in your business and a corner cutter. I threw my "nice" home made cards away that afternoon and ordered some professional cards and have used them ever since. He might have been wrong but success is hard to argue with. Just my view! Ken

I guess that's kindof my point. Even if you have the best inkjet printer available, those ink cartridges are obscenely expensive, you're losing time printing and cutting, and the end product still isn't as good as it could be. In my opinion, if you plan on handing out 50 of them before the information on it would change, it's totally worth the $20-40 to get the minimum amount printed and then you'll have double or even more to just throw around willy nilly. When you have 1000, it's easy to make sure everyone walks away with one. You have business cards for 2 types of people: those who have bought from you already but sometime might buy from you again, and those who haven't bought from you... yet.

Edited by BustedThumb

Well I'm glad that worked out for you for you my sister needed twenty cards for the twenty shops she dealt with as that is all there is in Perth for the type of business she was in.

You also don't know that I am a professional graphic designer/illustrator with actual formal training oh my and have access to professional quality large format printers which these cards were printed on so before you scream homemade at me perhaps you should of found out some more information first. For even more information the cards were laminated for extra durability as the shops they were going into have wet enviroments.Even if they weren't printed on these machines laminating does bring them up a notch on normal printers and for people just starting out this maybe an option for them until they can afford your "professionally done". You don't know everyones circumstances and I don't think there is any need to be judgemental if someone does have to start out the cheaper way.

In regards to Moo many professional business's use their service including award winning photographers so perhaps a visit to their website should be in order before you scream cheap at them as well.

Have a nice day

Clair

Well I'm glad that worked out for you for you my sister needed twenty cards for the twenty shops she dealt with as that is all there is in Perth for the type of business she was in.

You also don't know that I am a professional graphic designer/illustrator with actual formal training ...

...I don't think there is any need to be judgemental if someone does have to start out the cheaper way.

In regards to Moo many professional business's use their service including award winning photographers so perhaps a visit to their website should be in order before you scream cheap at them as well.

Have a nice day

Clair

Hey Clair, I asked for people's views on this subject and they were kind enough to give them. IMO your view is as valid as any other, but it is always helpful if a poster makes their standpoint clear from the outset. I value your expertise and agree that if all you need is twenty cards and have a sister who is a professional graphic designer then the decision is made. Unfortunately, most of us aren't lucky enough to have our own Clair on standby to 'homemake' amazing business cards!

After your recommendation, I took a good look at Moo - they operate here in the UK as well and they seem very much like ProntaPrint/VistaPrint and the others. Can you explain, from a professional standpoint, how they are different and how to get the best from their service. That would be really helpful.

Although I have a laminating machine, I find it temperamental at best and hadn't thought it could add value to my cards - I guess I need to take another look. Do you have any tips on using the things to best advantage?

BTW: I just read the last few posts a few times and I can't see that Ken (or anyone else) is being judgemental here - like you they are just giving their opinions. Nobody is having a personal pop at you or your abilities. It just seems to me that your sister is lucky to have you handy!

Ray

Hey Clair, I asked for people's views on this subject and they were kind enough to give them. IMO your view is as valid as any other, but it is always helpful if a poster makes their standpoint clear from the outset. I value your expertise and agree that if all you need is twenty cards and have a sister who is a professional graphic designer then the decision is made. Unfortunately, most of us aren't lucky enough to have our own Clair on standby to 'homemake' amazing business cards!

After your recommendation, I took a good look at Moo - they operate here in the UK as well and they seem very much like ProntaPrint/VistaPrint and the others. Can you explain, from a professional standpoint, how they are different and how to get the best from their service. That would be really helpful.

Although I have a laminating machine, I find it temperamental at best and hadn't thought it could add value to my cards - I guess I need to take another look. Do you have any tips on using the things to best advantage?

BTW: I just read the last few posts a few times and I can't see that Ken (or anyone else) is being judgemental here - like you they are just giving their opinions. Nobody is having a personal pop at you or your abilities. It just seems to me that your sister is lucky to have you handy!

Ray

Apparently someone missed my point completely. If you can design a professional business card at home at a competetive price, you are best off to do so. Most, and I see quite a few, homemade cards do exactly what I stated in the last post. They look cheap, are on poor quality paper and look terrible after just a few weeks in a wallet. I have a friend whose daughter works in a print shop. She makes him high quality cards and laminates the ones he gives to really important customers. I would like to be able to afford lamimated cards to give to a few of my best customers and friends. Few people that make their own cards end up with professional cards but a few do. I think it is about projecting the right image to the consumer and prospective consumer. Another observation, I have never had a person say something to the effect of "I REALLY NEED TO GET BETTER CARDS"! Another consideration to consider, is how good do they last. Laminating them or doing plastic ones are the best for lasting but cost prohibitive for me. I do not intend to judge anyone's cards, or abilities here. I made the mistake and just trying to help others starting out to not make the same mistakes I have made. MY long 2 cents worth. Ken

Cheap or homemade business cards SCREAM all the things you don't want the public, your customers to think about you.

Like you are a novice, no confidence, cheap, little substance, very little pride in your business and a corner cutter.

Ray

No problem Ray, I'm sorry if I jumped off the handle a bit, today wasn't going to be a happy day I had a funeral to attend midday for a dear friend/workmate who had been with the company for 10 years and Kens above comment got my back up this morning.

I probably do have access to better graphics equipment than the average leatherworker as that is my profession and not leatherwork at the moment. But for others just starting out a simple card with coloured fonts on a plain white background laminated can look neat and tidy. I look at this way what if the leatherworker has been a hobbyist and wants to move into paid work but has forgotton to take photos of their work. When they look at the work again they realise that they are alot better now or the items have become worn and wouldn't photograph well anyway. So with a tight budget to get started should they buy some leatherwork supplies or business cards, what are they going to do when a potential customer asks to see samples of their work umm sorry I dont have any but please come and look at my many business cards. I know I wouldn't buy from anyone until I had seen a sample of their work and I guess many others here would be the same.

I think you are probably past this category now Ray and should go for a print shop where volume is likely to be a higher priority, I haven't used Moo myself but it was recommended to me by an animator friend who has been most happy with their cards so I don't know what their complete service is like but after looking at the finished cards I found them to be off equal quality to a print shop. But I think it's best that you check out their quality yourself as only you will know if you will be happy with them or not. As for tips what do you want to convey work that out first before you start to design, sorry if that sounds simplistic but that is how I start every design brief.

Again I am sorry if anyone took offence to my previous post but as you have read it had been a trying day and I didn't take Kens comment the best.

Best wishes,

Clair

Edited by cem

No worries Ken I do get what you mean I just find it funny now that what I printed for my sister might be concieved as homemade the printer I used won't fit through a normal doorway and takes four people to lift it.

Cheers,

Clair

No worries Ken I do get what you mean I just find it funny now that what I printed for my sister might be concieved as homemade the printer I used won't fit through a normal doorway and takes four people to lift it.

Cheers,

Clair

I would like to know from a more professional standpoint, if one were to go the home made route and being as equal to the pros as much as possible what is the minimum entry level machinary you whould consider investing in.

Laminating I would think would be required as (at least as far as I know raised ink printers would cost a bomb)

Any suggestions on mircon sizes?

Any other suggestions to this.

Speaking for myself, I do not mind investing my time into doing things right if I can save money in the short haul...

Cheers,

Clair

I got a nice compliment on a belt I was wearing a while back and told that it is a very nice belt for a homemade one. I replied that anyone could probably make one like it if they have a shop like mine and get to practice working with leather 6 days a week like people like me do. Point I want to make here is this: I have no doubt you did a splendid job for your sister. Problem is most rank amateurs think their cards look just fine and they are doing the same level of work as a professional does. Truth is a few of them will do a nice job, the rest.................

Just my 2 cents worth. Ken

I would like to know from a more professional standpoint, if one were to go the home made route and being as equal to the pros as much as possible what is the minimum entry level machinary you whould consider investing in.

Laminating I would think would be required as (at least as far as I know raised ink printers would cost a bomb)

Any suggestions on mircon sizes?

Any other suggestions to this.

Speaking for myself, I do not mind investing my time into doing things right if I can save money in the short haul...

I use epson printers I'm sure some of the other brands are very good as well but that is all I've used, I don't know too much about the smaller machines they put out the ones I use are A0 size. But to get a decent quality you want to look for a printer that has pigment ink I think for the smaller Epsons they use Ultracrome K3 or Durabrite Ink. Most have swapped to pigment ink but dye based ones are still available so check just to make sure. The other brands will also have pigment ink printers.

The paper I used was Doubleweight 160gm matte paper but this was in roll form and I'm not sure if it comes in sheet form for the smaller printers.

For laminating I used 80 micron in business card size which can be trimmed to make them them look neater the laminating machine needs to be run a bit hotter for these than the usual A4 sheet.

If you need to buy this equipment though it's not really going to be cheaper my laminating comments were more for someone who already has the equipment and for any more than twenty five cards at a time it's not really worth doing it this way. The printer I use is also able to cut and the smaller machines definately won't have this feature. If you want to do changes to your cards frequently and only want to print twenty five or so at a time it may be a feasible way to do it though.

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers,

Clair

Edited by cem