rawhide1

George Rios (Saddle Maker?)

I was wondering if anyone knew of this maker. And what kind of quality saddle he built. Reason why I'm asking is I'm hunting a used show saddle for my 10 y/o daughter and there is one on ebay right now. It's got silver on it and looks to be in good shape the silver does have someones initials on the silver. The initials dont bother us none though.They say it's 30 yrs old. Just wondering on quality and a decent price range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

Geroge Rios is one of the three Rios brothers from Phoenix, AZ. They have been around since the 1940's. Their saddles are top of the line production saddles. As to price used I could not say, but a new saddle from Rios brothers will start at $5,000.00 plus.

Bob

I was wondering if anyone knew of this maker. And what kind of quality saddle he built. Reason why I'm asking is I'm hunting a used show saddle for my 10 y/o daughter and there is one on ebay right now. It's got silver on it and looks to be in good shape the silver does have someones initials on the silver. The initials dont bother us none though.They say it's 30 yrs old. Just wondering on quality and a decent price range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

I worked with George 25 years ago. He worked at Bobs Saddlery in Scottsdale in the late 70's an left in early 80's over business disagreements. George made top of the line show saddles, and was among the most respected and sought after craftsmen of the time in the show saddle arena. His saddles were all handmade with hand laid ground seats, and individually cut and fitted parts, real sheepskin lining, etc. All hand tooled, no machinery. The silver was mostly silver overlay, hand cut and hand engraved. He employed some saddlemakers, and silversmiths. All with the silver maker plate were made by him personally.

This saddle appears to be in great condition, although most of the pics did not work on my computer, it seems to have little use. It is a shorter seat and would make a good saddle for your daughter. New today it would compare to a Blue Ribbon, and would run about $8000. Its used value in todays market is about $2000-$3000.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Keith

Bob and Keith

I want to thank y'all for taking the time and helping me with the information on the saddle. I couldn't view all the pictures either Keith so I dont know what the deal is there. Well I reckon we wait and see now. Thanks again fellas.

Mike

Just an update I did win the saddle.

I will try and post pics when I get it.

Thanks again, Mike

Cool!

I just won the bide on a saddle a few days ago. Haven't seen it yet myself, but looking forward to it. It is funny, ater all the research, and the decision is made that you really want it, that last few minutes on the bid seem to go on for an eternity!

Congrats. Hope it works out.