Sign in to follow this  
rustyriggin

2 Inch Duty Belt

I'm making a 2" Ranger Style duty belt, with matching holster & hancuff case for a deputy, and I just don't have anything I can use for a good floral pattern. I am trying to get some samples to show him, to see what he wants. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance, Rus

I'm making a 2" Ranger Style duty belt, with matching holster & hancuff case for a deputy, and I just don't have anything I can use for a good floral pattern. I am trying to get some samples to show him, to see what he wants. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance, Rus

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE 1-1/2" OR 1-3/4" patterns with a wide border ?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE 1-1/2" OR 1-3/4" patterns with a wide border ?

Hi Luke, there is nothing wrong with them other than I don't have any. Funds are low til I get this thing done, so ordering a book is out for me right now. So I'm counting on you folks in leatherworker land to help me out here. I just need some patterns to show him to get an idea of what kind of floral he wants. I imagine with it being law enforcement he will probably like a oak leaf style, but I can't make that choice for him.

HI Rusty..show him a tandy book, he may see what he likes

Edited by terrahyd

Most duty belts for Law Enforcement ar 2-1/4 inch wide.

Most duty belts for Law Enforcement ar 2-1/4 inch wide.

True, alot are 2 1/4, but the one he wants made is 2", and the majority of the ones I see in catalogs now are 2". I prefer a 2 1/4 but I don't wear mine with blue jeans and a uniform shirt either.

Maybe some of the free spur patterns at tandy could work as inspiration? You could probably copy elements out of those to convert into a belt. Or else look at the billfold patterns there or on Jim Linell's site. Some of those could probably be scaled effectively or, again, used as a design base for tracing into a new pattern that repeats nicely.

I am not much use for ideas, becaus eI can't effectively picture a man with a floral belt. I know it happens and I am sure a lot of the men I know would like one just fine if I made it, but personally I'd be more likely to put more focus on leaves than flowers in one I tooled. Oak leaves and some of the vine patterns are quite nice.

I did oak leaves scaled off the spur strap pattern for a belt for my father, but it was a narrower belt than you are talking about.

Maybe some of the free spur patterns at tandy could work as inspiration? You could probably copy elements out of those to convert into a belt. Or else look at the billfold patterns there or on Jim Linell's site. Some of those could probably be scaled effectively or, again, used as a design base for tracing into a new pattern that repeats nicely.

I am not much use for ideas, becaus eI can't effectively picture a man with a floral belt. I know it happens and I am sure a lot of the men I know would like one just fine if I made it, but personally I'd be more likely to put more focus on leaves than flowers in one I tooled. Oak leaves and some of the vine patterns are quite nice.

I did oak leaves scaled off the spur strap pattern for a belt for my father, but it was a narrower belt than you are talking about.

Your right, I wouldn't wear flowers either. I went with a oak leaf and accorns pattern already, but thanks for the input. Now I just have to get it done, it may take awhile especially doing 49 inches worth of it.

Yeah, long belts are a pain. The one I did for my father was 48" at the middle hole, but I didn't do a solid patterna nd it wasn't so wide. Some oak leaves, his initials repeated a few times, and some lacing effects.

The worst is trying to get the moisture level right for the whole length! I kept part of it rolled in a plastic bag but it was still a pain.

Thanks evryone for your input. This is a sample of the pattern I found that he liked, now I just have to make one 49" long. Thanks again, Rusty

IMG002801.jpg

post-6578-126764055315_thumb.jpg

Might find something here you can explode? Use an editor and Scale it up to the width you need?

http://www.sbearstra...s.html#patterns

Click on the image of the two partial vertial belts on the website above and download the PDF?

the image in the replay is a partial sample of the patterns in the PDF

post-15329-035948500 1283054666_thumb.jp

Edited by Reaper

Have you thought about having it embossed? I know it looks slightly different http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/3801-00.aspx?feature=Product_48&kw=emboss but I have one of the embossers and would be glad to emboss a 2” one up for you. Let me know. I wear a 2-1/4" pat. black but its not like I have any say so in the matter if you know what I mean.