Sign in to follow this  
Tibbiecow

Replacing Fenders

I have a newly purchased George Lawrence saddle in really good condition.

I bought it to ride my very narrow Thoroughbred gelding in. The saddle fits him nicely and its seat is very comfortable, and the form-fitter/beartrap swells are fantastic when the horse spooks. (The spooks/spins/bucks are getting much better with regular work, but for now, or on a windy day, they're sure nice security.)

I don't have my own picture of the saddle, but if you sign in to eBay you can find it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If that doesn't work, the item number is 220534765130.

Anyway, I am thinking of selling the saddle at a later date. There is a similar saddle (same size tree, seat size) in non-original condition in a local shop. It is in sound condition but is nowhere near as pretty as the one I bought.

So...if my husband wants to ride the horse, we have to change the stirrup leathers, which are laced. I could have Blevins buckles put on, but that would reduce the value of the saddle.

My question is this:

Could I simply replace the fenders/stirrup leathers with those from another good saddle that isn't being used right now? (I owuld save the original fenders/leathers to put back on if I sell the saddle.)

And if so, is this something I could do myself? How?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tibbiecow

You can change the fenders as long as the new sturpp leathers are the same size or narrower. You may need to spay some saddle soap up under the seat jockey and between the skirt and sturipp leather to get them pulled out. Sometime they are real hard to get out if the haven't been moved in a while.

You can change the fenders as long as the new sturpp leathers are the same size or narrower. You may need to spay some saddle soap up under the seat jockey and between the skirt and sturipp leather to get them pulled out. Sometime they are real hard to get out if the haven't been moved in a while.

I checked, and they are the same width. Both stirrup leathers move fairly freely to lengthen/shorten the stirrups.

So, I wouldn't have to take anything apart on the saddle to change the stirrup leathers?

Edited by Tibbiecow

Pull them out. Turn the saddle upside down. Then go back under the seat jockey and it will come out next to the strainer plate. Pull it all the way through. Then pull / lift the edge of the skirt up and push it through. When you have enough through to grab ahold of pull the rest of the way. Then your ready to put the sturipps on.

If you have trouble getting the alternate fenders installed, get two large empty yogurt containers. Cut off the top and bottom and discard. You now have a plastic donut. Cut thro from edge to edge, just once on each one. Round the corners a bit as they can be sharp. Put one piece on top and bottom of leather and push thro. It takes all the manual labor and sweat out of this task. You could get two pieces out of an old ice cream pail as well.

Edited by Saddlebag

I know this is late but it might help someone else - When you are removing the old fenders tie a piece of bailing twine through the last hole of the stirrup adjustment, when you've pulled the fender out, leave the bailing twine in place (cut it off) then when you want to refit the fenders or a new set - just tie on the twine and pull them on through - don't even need to undo the jockeys this way.

'cole