craftsman827

Need A Dog Harness Pattern

@cseeger..Some of the site links moved when the site went to https..you'll need to upload that pdf ( the one in the first post ..again ) it "404s" in the first post..

Looks very nice in the picture :)

Edited by mikesc

59 minutes ago, mikesc said:

@cseeger..Some of the site links moved when the site went to https..you'll need to upload that pdf ( the one in the first post ..again ) it "404s" in the first post..

Looks very nice in the picture :)

Ok, here it is again with a couple more pics.   My pattern omits the straps that connect the saddle to the belly, but that's easy enough to figure out.  I've only made a few dog harnesses but through trial and error arrived at this version which worked well for what I was trying to accomplish.  The main thing I learned from previous attempts was to make the harness from a single piece of leather and to wet mold it.  This provided for a much better look and was far easier than piecing together multiple straps.  It also provide me with a lot of real estate for embellishment.

For adjustment reference, this pattern fits an averaged size female pit bull (19" tall, 40 lbs weight) .

Dog Harness Pattern.pdf

Zero Wearing Her Harness.jpg

Zero's Harness - 1.jpg

Zero's Harness - 2.jpg

Zero's Harness - 3.jpg

Edited by cseeger

It also provide me with a lot of real estate for embellishment.

The "embellishments" ( especially on the last image ) are "reminiscent" of Zena's costumes..always did like Zena. ~:)

Yep..Link works now.. :)

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

The "embellishments" ( especially on the last image ) are "reminiscent" of Zena's costumes..always did like Zena. ~:)

Yep..Link works now.. :)

I wasn't familiar with Zena and had to look her up.  Google Brain knew what I was after and directed me to Xena: Warrior Princess.   Yeah, I can see the connection.

Xena_warrior_princess_by_xena_96-d56o27k.jpg

That's the one :) ..and your spelling is the correct one..I think I've got used to the French spelling..which may have been a typo anyway by the TV guide people here years ago that stuck here..Kind of like Harley Davidson is always pronounced Arly Davinson here*.. :)

*Not by me

Edited by mikesc

40 minutes ago, mikesc said:

That's the one :) ..and your spelling is the correct one..I think I've got used to the French spelling..which may have been a typo anyway by the TV guide people here years ago that stuck here..Kind of like Harley Davidson is always pronounced Arly Davinson here*.. :)

*Not by me

In N.I. a name beginning with X has that letter pronounced as EX not as  Zee. Thus Xena is Exena,  Xavier is Ex-aavi-eer, not Zav-vier. Is it the same in France? H and Th have their own ways of pronunciation here as well

Depends..Xena and Xavier would normally be pronounced Zena* and Zavier, but some do try to make the X letter a bit more "crisp", similar to the c in crystal..

French pronunciation varies enormously from region to region, even from county to county ( here the counties re called departements ) ..a lot like in Ireland..
I have almost no Irish accent left ( been away, and been travelling a long time, and grew up between Ireland and the UK, moved around a lot ( RAF family ) when living in the UK )..I probably had some Kilkenny / Wexford to begin with..comes from the border between the two counties ..near New Ross..

People here in France know it is not an English accent, but they find it hard to place..But around anyone Irish for half an hour or so the Irishness comes back :) ..

On the phone to Ireland I tend to ask for someone by name, and then when they come on the line, ask automatically "Is that yourself" etc.. :)

My son, ( born here 25 years ago ) after hearing Father Ted for the first time said "You don't have much of the accent, but you do have the words and the way of speaking" :) .

The French ( like a lot of the English ) have difficulty with the accents of NI and of Scotland and Wales..

I find that nowadays a lot of the English have a "London" sound in their regional accents..Even the Brummies and the Geordies and Scousers have a touch of "cockney"..I noticed this even back in the 80s in the UK..the pernicious effect of Grange Hill and East Enders. :(

* the e in Xena or Zena would be a short e here..even without the é,( the upward line over the é , denotes a short e sound, rising in tone ) it is pronounced as if it were the e in men, or bet, not like the ee in keen, or sheen...the a in Xavier would be short like the a in have..or the a in bat...

Gives Zenah for Xena..and Zaveeyay for Xavier.

Btw..Dog Harness is ...Harnais pour chien.. pronounced ( near enough as ) "arnay poor sheehan" ..Unless one is Qubecois.. :)

Edited by mikesc

11 hours ago, mikesc said:

I find that nowadays a lot of the English have a "London" sound in their regional accents..Even the Brummies and the Geordies and Scousers have a touch of "cockney"..I noticed this even back in the 80s in the UK..the pernicious effect of Grange Hill and East Enders. :(

I agree that's the result of mass communication.  Here in the US, regional accents are still there, but they're MUCH toned down from what they used to be.  There was a time when some regions accents were darn near unintelligible to others, and I remember meeting older folks when I was a kid that I used to have to ask them to repeat a couple of times to make out what they were saying.  Not so much now, tho.

- Bill