BillinOK

Craftaid List

I have two questions; First does anyone have a craftaid of a hummingbird? I have been using a drawing on paper, then transfer it over to leather.

Second, does anyone have a complete list of all craftaids? I like collecting these, and using some of them.

Thanks.........Bill

I have two questions; First does anyone have a craftaid of a hummingbird? I have been using a drawing on paper, then transfer it over to leather.

Second, does anyone have a complete list of all craftaids? I like collecting these, and using some of them.

Thanks.........Bill

Bill,

I have a list of craftaids and can send you a copy. Also I have craftaids for sale. Please email me at allanms@columbus.rr.com

Allan Scheiderer

Bill,

I have a list of craftaids and can send you a copy. Also I have craftaids for sale. Please email me at allanms@columbus.rr.com

Allan Scheiderer

Bill

Could you send me a list of craftaids I have aTandy catalog but I dont know how many more might be available. markpotter@hughes.net

Thank You

Mark

I am sorry that last reply was intented for Alan Scheiderer could you please send me a list of craftaids

thanks

Mark

I know this original post is a bit old, but would really like to see if I can get a complete list of all Craftaids made. I have approx. 140 now.

I know this original post is a bit old, but would really like to see if I can get a complete list of all Craftaids made. I have approx. 140 now.

I don't know if it is possible to get a list of all Craftaids ever made. You could probably get a list together of all the ones ever offered commercially in the catalogs and stores, but Craftaid also made special craftaids that were available only to a club they started in the later 50s, plus they made limited runs of craftaids for magazine and other promotions. If I am remembering right, they also offered at one time to produce Craftaids for original designs also.

Seems to me like somebody at the IILG (International Internet Leathercrafter's Guild) also had a fairly good list put together. You might check out their website.

I am impressed that you have 140 Craftaids. I know how hard it is to find some of them. It took me a long time to aquire the 20 craftaids to all of the patterns in Al Stohlman's "Top Twenty" book.

Thanks for the tip. I will do as much research as I can and compile the best list I can. Bill is sending me what he has and I am grateful. Kieth

Keith, its been sent to you. Hope it helps....pretty big list, but it is probably not complete.

I'm impressed to at the amount of craftaids you have.

Edited by BillinOK

I do not yet own a craftaid...guess I should try and find one or two! Looking for FISH and HORSES...if they exist...

Short of a Craftaid you can usually get the same, or at least a very similar, effect by making a tap-off. You cut the mirror of the design you want into a thick piece of leather then after it dries you can flip it over and use a mallet to transfer the pattern to a piece of cased leather. I've made both good and bad results with this technique, but short of having a craft-aid for every single pattern I want to repeat, it seems to be the best approach.

How thick for the leather to make a tap-off? I had seen something about these recently and was wondering if that would do what I want...

Just about any heavy leather ( 7 or more oz) should work fine. It can take a fair bit of hammering with the mallet to transfer a larger pattern and the tap-off might get stretched or warped if it was made with a lighter leather. The leather doesn't necessarily need to be decent quality either, it just shouldn't have blemishes or scars (since those could kind of transfer too). I usually use 8-9 oz scrap. It doesn't seem to work quite as well for larger patterns, or patterns that involve a fair amount of symmetry (like some geometric shapes) but for natural or small patterns (just a couple of inches across) it works pretty well.

I would also like a copy of this list. I have recent acquired quite a few craftaids but as a beginner I would like to see what they should look like when finished.

7 hours ago, BHop said:

I would also like a copy of this list. I have recent acquired quite a few craftaids but as a beginner I would like to see what they should look like when finished.

You need to either quote the persons post or tag him/her so he/she gets a notice, especially since this is an old thread last active in 2014.

Take a look at the Tandy Craftaid Template Database on FB.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1373586829381487