Mollard

Boots + Mink Oil

There is this set of boots that I put mink oil on. It really darkened all the different shades of leather into one shade. They are now water proof, but she doesn't like the colour? Did I mess everything up, can something be done?

These are the boots:

http://www.bouletboots.com/index.php?page=48&MCatID=4&CatID=38&PID=377

Thanks a lot

Chris

too late now........i beleive it states on the label " May Darken Leather"

wear them ,let the sunshine get to them, they Might lighten up..

There is this set of boots that I put mink oil on. It really darkened all the different shades of leather into one shade. They are now water proof, but she doesn't like the colour? Did I mess everything up, can something be done?

I'm afraig Luke may be right.

We would soak over-oiled holsters in mineral spirits at Galco when needed. But we were using neatsfoot oil on them, not mink oil, and there was a minimum of parts to worry about. I'd be concerned about the internal components on boots, to soak them so.

You might be get useful feedback from the customer service people who prepare the mink oil. You could try calling them.

Leather isn't as predictable nowadays, is it?

Yeah I think it's probably best to leave it alone for now. The mink oil worked great for water proofing them, but just the colour change is disappointing.....

Now I don't know what to put on the other pair.

What are you guys using on your boots these days?

Thanks

Chris

I beleive if you can find this product"MONTANA PITCH BLEND" it will make the items

WATER REPLENT. THEN AGAIN TEST ON A SMALL AREA.......another product is the "Irish

Setter Brand" found at thr Red Wing Shoe stores.

Yeah I think it's probably best to leave it alone for now. The mink oil worked great for water proofing them, but just the colour change is disappointing.....

Now I don't know what to put on the other pair.

What are you guys using on your boots these days?

Thanks

Chris

Since that leather seems to be naked, that is unfinished, I'd suggest a spray water repellant.

Just about any brand you'd find at your local shoe repair shop would work.

Even the shoe care aisle at WalMart or the local drug store may have a spray water repellant.

Hmm, there is just something that I like about the old fashioned stuff. Personally, I think the mink oil worked great, it is very water proof now. There is just something about the spray can that is turning me off.

But next time, I think I'll go with it, because of the colour change. But for my boots I like to rub some type of dubbin in. Just seams more "real" to me.

My favorite is Huberd's Shoe Grease, smells good, works great, and has a cool picture on the can. It will darken the leather.

Kevin