Newfoundland82

Sam Browne Buckle Hook

I am going to build a sam browne, but I want to use on of these hooks posted (above) instead of having to push the belt through the buckle everytime.

Does anyone know where I could purchase this fitting? (I need it in brass)

Thanks!

P.S. Also, if anybody has made a sam browne before, I'd be interested in speaking with you.

SAM_BROWNE_BUCKLE_HOOK.JPG

steel-hook-46403.jpg

You don't buckle a Sam Browne per se. Once you put that buckle on the billet end in the correct position (i.e. size it) all you do is hook it onto that little hook in your photo. Then you push the billet down over the Sam Browne stud and slide the keeper over it.

If you want a buckle-less Sam Browne belt Safariland LTD. makes (or made) them. You might search for that and be able to find a shot that'll show how that one is made. You may not be able to find their exact hardware, but Siegel's of CA. has (or had)a hook that would work. Then you'll need good velcro if you're going to copy it exactly as the Safariland buckle-less was designed as a set, having velcro lining and a velcro covered under-belt.

See if you can get to this page, it's page #162/163. The hook you showed is on the left side, bottom row. The Safariland hook I mentioned is there also: far left, bottom row. The Sam Browne studs are there also.

http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/FlipBook/hardware%20catalog%20p210/index.html?pageNumber=154

ohiotravelbag.jpg

post-24-1267416238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Billsotx

If it's of any use, try http://www.abbeysaddlery.co.uk/product_listing.cfm?type=search_list&range_id=0&cat_id=BUCK0001&sub_cat_id=SAM0001

I made an SB belt years ago when I was serving in Germany.

I copied my issue belt and strap and adjusted sizes to fit. I also made the shoulder strap on a curve so it fitted correctly. I re-used all the brass from the original (my unit had a handy mechanics' workshop). Our issued SBs had to be buckled each time so I had to make a clip out of a brass picture hook (about 2" wide and 4" long) which I cut to size and then shaped and drilled. I rivetted my clip to the chape end.

I didn't know about any hardware suppliers then.

The curve on the shoulder strap was a matter of trial and error and I made a template from which I cut the leather for that.

I would send pictures but I passed it on to my successor when I retired as it was very well 'bulled' and much better than his.

I later on also made a sword frog for it but that got handed on as well.

Hope that helps.

Gary

Edited by gary

yeah I am doing a ceremonial sam browne, so it needs to be in brown leather - not the safari land type with black basketweave an all that velcro. that link is fine but I really need a brass end, not nickle.\

thanks for the responses so far.

Newfoundland82. I have made a few Sam Brownes over the years. I used to make my own brass hook or had it chrome plated depending on the Corp the subject Officer was in. Making one is fairly easy with a few cutting and grinding tools. Leave it with me for a bit and I will see what I can dig up. I also have a frog pattern somewhere or I can borrow an Officers Sam Browne from work.

Making a Sam Browne is not that difficult but there are a few tricks to bare in mind. Where you place the sword hook and dees/triangles should be tailor fitted for the wearer so that the sword frog sits in the right place.

OK this link is in Aust and does not have the hook you mention but I added it in case it might be handy for you.

http://www.leffler.com.au/saddlery/sambrowne.htm

Barra

In case you are still looking for the Sam Browne Buckles are available at http://springfieldleather.com/store/search.asp

search for sam browne

good luck

You don't buckle a Sam Browne per se. Once you put that buckle on the billet end in the correct position (i.e. size it) all you do is hook it onto that little hook in your photo. Then you push the billet down over the Sam Browne stud and slide the keeper over it.

If you want a buckle-less Sam Browne belt Safariland LTD. makes (or made) them. You might search for that and be able to find a shot that'll show how that one is made. You may not be able to find their exact hardware, but Siegel's of CA. has (or had)a hook that would work. Then you'll need good velcro if you're going to copy it exactly as the Safariland buckle-less was designed as a set, having velcro lining and a velcro covered under-belt.

See if you can get to this page, it's page #162/163. The hook you showed is on the left side, bottom row. The Safariland hook I mentioned is there also: far left, bottom row. The Sam Browne studs are there also.

http://www.ohiotrave...?pageNumber=154

I make Ceremonial Sam Browne belts for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Since we don't make every one perfectly, they reject them for minor flaws.

If you want to buy one of them and take it apart for the hardware and make a pattern, I can sell you one.

It is complete with buckle, claw, 4 dee rings, and sword hook, all gold plated brass.

I am going to build a sam browne, but I want to use on of these hooks posted (above) instead of having to push the belt through the buckle everytime.

Does anyone know where I could purchase this fitting? (I need it in brass)

Thanks!

P.S. Also, if anybody has made a sam browne before, I'd be interested in speaking with you.

SAM_BROWNE_BUCKLE_HOOK.JPG

steel-hook-46403.jpg