Sign in to follow this  
GAP

From Colorado

Howdy everyone!

Stumbled across this site a while back, while looking for ideas on a jaw closing mechanism for a deep throat stitching horse. I've made a few posts here and there meanwhile.

Like many of you I started as a kid in 4-H. I soon lost interest in carving or stamping, and just did my own repair or made things out of necessity. I'd had two or three saddles made that kinda inspired me to make my first. Of course getting married, having a kid, and needing a new rig, on cowboy wages was a bigger inspiration. So, I saved enough to buy a tree from Hercules, three sides of skirting, and my hardware. Thus began on my first saddle.

I also had one of Bruce Grants braiding books that had a little section on how to build a western saddle, by Lee Rice. I about wore the spine of that book out. Probably took about 6 or 8 months for me to finish that saddle, working evenings and Sundays. In the end I had a somewhat rough, but servicable kack.

A few neighbors either took pity on me, or liked what I'd done and gave me money to torture more leather! Then along came the beginnings of the Colorado Saddlemakers Assn. I showed at the first show, which I believe was judged by Jim Kelley. It gave me the chance to meet peers and future mentors, as well as see close up work. This helped me immensely! Some of these dedicated, and talented makers, showing saddles would offer ideas and show me ways to better what I was doing. The judges, from all over the country... were a big asset too! I would ask them to personally critique my saddle after the show... which everyone of them was willing.

Went through a divorce and kinda lost interest in anything leather for a few years, plus I had a business that was consuming a big part of my time. Last fall my ears kinda perked up, and I sat down and beat on a few pieces. Dang, it just felt good to be doing again!

When I found this site, I took in so much info that was freely shared, I had to join.... plus most of the pictures wouldn't show until I did. hehe!

My knowledge of what is capable with leather is pretty darn limited, and I'm sure to learn a lot here. Maybe I can give an idea or suggestion to help someone else too?

Just glad I found this place!

Gary

Here's a pic of the last saddle completed. It went to a young lady that just kept after me to make it.

jordans saddle 061.jpg

post-12426-12676005879_thumb.jpg

Geez, Gary. I think you win this year's prize for Most Humble Introduction. laugh.gif That's meant to be a compliment... Your work is superb! I'm sure you have much to contribute and share here, and we'd love to see more pic of your work.

Welcome! -Alex

HI Gap ;;;

WOW!! nice work..bet that young lady is realy proud to have this saddle;;I would be..well done Gary

...DOC...

Nice work on the saddle, and may I say, welcome to the LW.net from a fellow Coloradoan. There are quite a few of us here from the state and it's always nice to see another one come sign in.

Welcome another member from Colorado and also a CSMA member as well. Saddle looks great. And when you figure out the mechanism for the stitcher let me know as I need to make one too.

Timbo

TIMBO ... look at Deadeyes post in SEWING LEATHER. THERE IS A SITE FOR A STICHING HORSE,

Gary,

Now that's a work of art! I noticed all the extra details too, a lot of extra work but it sure paid off!

Gary, welcome to the site. Incredible work! Looking forward to future posts.. looks like you have a lot to offer us newbie toolers. Thanks for sharing.