Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Lace Maker

Does/has anyone used this type of Lace Maker? I bought one and tried it on some leather, probably not made for lace, but I was able to cut about 6" of lace and then it would cutoff. Is there a certain kind of leather to use? Or should I just scrap it and look into a different type?

Thanks

LaceMaker.JPG

post-5743-1207925334_thumb.jpg

There is a tutorial on the main site about how to use that lace maker. Hope that helps!

I've got one of those and use it pretty frequently. This one, and any lace maker for that matter, require practice, practice, practice. Once you get the hang of it you are good to go, you can put it down for a year and pick it up again and cut lace just fine.

First make sure your blade is sharp. Then as you pull through, make sure you are pulling on the lace, and not the rest of the leather. I also keep my thumb of the hand I am holding the tool with on top of the lace as it goes through the blade, keeping it flat against the tool, so that the lace does not fold up and cut uneven, and I guide the lace slightly down hill as it comes out of the blade.

Here's a little tip to get it started through - try and push it through the correct slot for the size you want, and with the leather pushed up against the blade, reach in with a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the leather and pull to get it started. (They have to be a small, fine pair of pliers, obviously, or you could use one of those hemostat clamps that doctors use.)

The better quality leather is real easy to cut, that really great "bargain" leather may not cut as easily, but they will all cut.

Thanks for the info. I'll practice more with your information.

One other thing to look for on the leather is no scars on the back side. If your leather has scars, it will be weak in those areas and tend to break quicker.

When I use this tool, i put a little pressure with my thumb and index finger (on the hand that's holding the tool) on the bottom of the leather, sort of pushing the leather up toward the top of the tool. The instructions tell you to pull the tag end through the tool on the top side of the leather. I have found that if i pull from underneath, I can usually pull the entire length without it breaking.

Marlon

Butch, the way the person is holding the lace cutter in the pic you posted is "Way Wrong", here's a link to the tutorial I did on using this cutter, hope it helps.

Lace Cutting Tutorial

Ken

Butch, the way the person is holding the lace cutter in the pic you posted is "Way Wrong", here's a link to the tutorial I did on using this cutter, hope it helps.

Lace Cutting Tutorial

Ken

Is using a lace maker to make lace cheaper then simply buying a spool of lace from Tandy?

Can someone give me an example of how much cheaper once you've bought the lace maker?

Thanks

Fred