Jimbob

Singer 111W112?

Fixing to look at a Singer 111w112, do all Singer 111's have walking foot?

Also what does stand the 112 for, wish somebody had a list tells you all the Singer industrials and what they where intended for??? That would be cool!!

Thanks for ur time and help, hope some one can straighten me out...

James

Hello James,

Yes,it has a walking foot & we have all the parts in stock for it.

Good luck,

Bob Kovar

Fixing to look at a Singer 111w112, do all Singer 111's have walking foot?

Just to clarify, the Singer 111W112 is a walking foot machine, but not all 111's have walking feet. The 111W100 for example is compound feed only.

Just to clarify, the Singer 111W112 is a walking foot machine, but not all 111's have walking feet. The 111W100 for example is compound feed only.

Thanks so much guys....so the 111w112 has walking foot, that's good....Bob said he has parts for it, great!

If I go and get this 111 what would be to watch for, any give away signs that I have to look for if it is a bad apple??

Has been used for back up in upholstery shop close by here....looks nice and well kept on picture...Gent is asking $280,- for it, table motor light and thread holder...is this a fair price?

Let me know if you all have any hints for me and what to watch for when buying a 111w112.....

Again thanks, this place here is absolutly great and the folks on here are true gems!!

James

James when you go to get the machine take plenty pieces of leather

take what you think you will be sewing. then you will know what the machine will do for you.$280.00 is a great price.

Here is a link to some pictures of the 111s: http://www.industria...ingers/111w.htm

Also the manuals are free at www.singerco.com. The manuals explain what the intended use is for the machines.

Edited by ryano

quote name='ryano' date='15 March 2010 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1268662520' post='147701']

Here is a link to some pictures of the 111s: http://www.industria...ingers/111w.htm

Also the manuals are free at www.singerco.com. The manuals explain what the intended use is for the machines.

Big bummer

Went all the way to NC and here she was...owner gave me wrong model number....it is a 111w102 not 112...and of course NOT walkingfoot@@@@@@@

So I offered 180 buck and took her home, table motor stand and all... anyway....can I convert this model to a walkingfoot?????

It workes great but I love to have a walkingfoot model...oh well!!

James

James;

No, to my knowledge that machine is not convertible without a major parts addition operation. The casing itself would need to be altered to hold the walking foot lifter shaft, on the back. It is a good straight stitch machine though.

Edited by Wizcrafts

James;

No, to my knowledge that machine is not convertible without a major parts addition operation. The casing itself would need to be altered to hold the walking foot lifter shaft, on the back. It is a good straight stitch machine though.

Thanks so much for your kind advice!!

I seen u responding often to help people with sewing machine problems...

I love to know much more about these machines....I am a rockie but have great interest in the matter. Been fixing and timing my beautiful little 15-91, also have a mint 99K and my pride and joy is a very clean Adler 105-64....it was all about leather and now I am all into these wicked machines...haha.

Again, thanks so much for all the help u give out and sharing ur knowledge!!!

Jimbob

Thanks so much for your kind advice!!

I seen u responding often to help people with sewing machine problems...

I love to know much more about these machines....I am a rockie but have great interest in the matter. Been fixing and timing my beautiful little 15-91, also have a mint 99K and my pride and joy is a very clean Adler 105-64....it was all about leather and now I am all into these wicked machines...haha.

Again, thanks so much for all the help u give out and sharing ur knowledge!!!

Jimbob

Jimbob;

Ur welcome!

I also have a 15-91 that I bought from the local Sally Ann store, equipped it with an even feed attachment, and was using to sew Naugahyde, until I bought a real walking foot machine. All I had to do to it was rebuild the motor and lube it. They are tough little machines!

Since 1984 I have worked my way up through a series of sewing machines. I started with a slant needle Singer, that was best at breaking needles in leather, to a Singer tailoring machine (nvg), to a Singer with alternating spring loaded feet (n/g), to a Singer 111W155 (good), to a Juki LU563 (vg), to a National walking foot machine (Great), to a Union Lockstitch machine (Great).

I can tell you that if you are sewing garment or chap leather, or Naugahyde, or jeans, you should get a compound feed walking foot machine. There are many excellent flatbed walking foot machines to choose from, including those made by Adler, Artisan, Brother, Cobra, Consew, Cowboy, Juki, Neel's Saddlery, Seiko and Toro.

If you intend to sew holsters, knife sheaths, saddle bags, or shaped cases, get a heavy duty cylinder arm harness stitcher, with the throat plate cut off close to the bobbin case cover, and with fairly narrow presser feet. Do not dink around with older machines made to sew textiles; they won't do the kind of job you may have to do, won't properly deal with heavy thread and may go out of time or break if over stressed.

Dress belts and guitar straps fall in between and I usually sew then on a flatbed walking foot machine, where they can be turned around and laid flat. Weight belts and rifle slings with foam padding between the layers are best sewn on a cylinder arm or post machine. I happen to have a Union Lockstitch, needle and awl machine, which is used on all heavy leather projects. It sews 3/4" without blinking, with #346 or larger bonded thread, all the way up to 12 cord linen thread. It can even sew soles onto shoes (I've done it)!

A walking foot is really only needed when you are sewing multiple layers of slippery material, or items with thick seams and second levels. The outer foot lifts up and grabs the upper level, or walks down to a lower leveel, while the inner foot presses down on the work, and usually pulls the work with the needle and feed dogs. You can actually hold the work tightly on a walking foot machine and it won't slip, unless you have really backed off the presser foot tension springs (there are 2).

If you are only sewing flat layers of belt or harness leather together (no big seams to go over), a heavy duty flat foot, drop feed machine will do the job. These are usually knock-offs of the venerable Singer 45K series. These are available in flatbed and cylinder arm types. Names like Cowboy and Techsew come to mind. These machines will usually sew a bit over 3/8", with #346 thread, run through a silicon lube container.

Whatever machine you end up purchasing, if you intend to sew any thick leather, you'll want to get either a speed reducer, or a servo motor. Most industrial machines come with a clutch motor, which can be difficult to control for slow speeds. You must learn to feather the clutch to slow down. Servo motors are electronically controlled by the position of the foot pedal and are easier to use at slow speeds.

James,

You can add a roller foot to this machine. This will help the machine feed much better.

Edited by ryano

James,

You can add a roller foot to this machine. This will help the machine feed much better.

Yes. As a matter of fact, you can buy a three piece set that includes the roller presser foot, single row feed dog and a single slot throat plate. You just need to find the combination that fits a Singer 111W102.