JLSleather

Okay,so What's The Problem?

Picked up a dinosaur today, well, older than me, anyway. Old singer machine.

I got it to the house, plugged it in, fine. Messed with it for a while and got it to stop breaking the top thread every so often. "Tuned" (meaning I poke-n-hoped) 'til I got a decent stitch on both side of the stuff, lockstitch.

BUT, maybe it's normal, and maybe I have one or more worn parts. I stitch, adjust needle tension, and it's fine. I stop. When I start again, maybe it's fine, and maybe it's not. GUESSING that my tension adjustment hadn't worked it's way out yet?

Question is, where do I start to troubleshoot? I'm not totally ignorant of machine stitching ... most of my shirts have some. And there was that class in high school (30 years ago) where I managed to get into a class with me and 30 girls (not conducive to sewing lessons for a teenage boy).

I ain't sure of the model, told it's a Singer series 16. I know the thread is a 69 (which MIGHT be correct for wallet/clutch liners). And, if somebody around here knows stuff, I'll take a photo of the stitching if that helps. Oh, yeah ... one of those runs across some 4 oz veggie leather, it wanted to curl UPWARD. Is this (guessing again) INsuffcient tension at needle, EXcessive tension at bobbin ... something else?????

What model machine is it, and do you have any pictures of it and the tension problems?

Found an ID plate, says 16-188

Maybe you can see from the photos, the top side looks like it was OK (if it was done by a child). Back side is good for a biti, then out of nowhere leaves these goofy "loops". Weird, it doesn't do it all the time. Included photo of end of machine, odd chance I threaded wrong.

Greetings,

I'm not an expert on machines by any stretch, and with luck one of the actual experts will be able to point out the problem, but in the meantime I'll offer what suggstions I can.

In case you don't have them already:

From the little photograph it looks like the threading is correct. It also looks like you have basically no top tension at all. Even when you aren't getting 'big goofy loops' on the underside the top thread isn't drawing the bottom thread up into the material at all.

Does the machine have an automatic tension release system that takes the top tension off the thread when you raise the presser foot? If it does, is it disengaging properly when you lower the presser foot?

Have you taken the tension disks off and checked to make sure they're clean? I'd expect dirt in them to create more top tension, not less, but if there's schmutz in there stopping them from mating properly that could cause issues.

If you crank the top tension knob all the way in does it make any difference?

The other possibility is that the thread take up spring is all wonky. The instruction manual linked to above has instructions for setting it correctly on page 20.

I hope that's of some help.

Maybe it's the angle of the dangle, but it doesn't look like the thread is in between the tension discs.

Kevin

Hello JLS Leather, the model 16-188 was one of the first walking foot machines that Singer had. It is not a needle feed, meaning it is not a compound feed machine. It was designed to sew light to medium weight material(usually not more than 16 oz.), but when adjusted correctly, and the machine is not totally worn out, will make a nice stitch. The first thing that you will need to do is replace the bobbin case.Forget repairing it, or rebuilding it, just call Bob at Toledo Sew(1-866-362-7397) and replace it. Have Bob set the tension for 69/138 thread. When you receive your new bobbin case, then you will be able to adjust your top tension so that your stitch will do what you want it to do. Remember to start from scratch when it comes to adjusting the top tension. What I mean by that is to tighten the adjusting nut until it comes in contact with the tension spring, it looks like a beehive, then on some scratch material sew a couple of inches. You will probably find that there will be loops on the bottom. Tighten the top tension one full turn at a time until the stitch pulls up. Make sure that you do the regular things like clean out the hook assembly, remove any burrs that might be the cause of thread fraying, and oil it. This should help get you on your way. Thanks, Steve

I agree with Kevin, it looks like your top thread is NOT running between the tension disks. You can unscrew the nut and take the whole assemble apart easily, then clean and POLISH the disks (dremel and cratex point works well) to make sure you don't have snaggies.

I have run across some older machines that had tension disks stuck together by petrified oil and dirt, and one that had them RUSTED together tightly.

Also agree with Steve, if your bobbin case is in the least questionable, replace it. Have met three machines that the bobbin case actually had a groove worn under the tension spring and it prevented accurate adjustment.

KAte

Clean tension disks, replace bobbin case. Got it. THANKS, everybody!

Glad you got it, but from looking at your pictures, the machine does not look like it is threaded correctly at all. I hope you also got that straightened out.