I put together a holster with a thumb break, pictures in another thread, and I'm having a problem with the line 24 snaps. It seems that the button portion of the snap won't stay on. I am using 7/8 weight leather with a piece of a old saw blade in the middle with piece of 2/3 weight leather on the inside. It appears that the stem on the snap isn't long enough and isn't securing very well. Are there snaps with a longer stem for use on thicker leather? Although I didn't think what I had used wasn't that thick. Any ideas?

Ohio Travel Bag has line 24 posts of varying lengths.

I put together a holster with a thumb break, pictures in another thread, and I'm having a problem with the line 24 snaps. It seems that the button portion of the snap won't stay on. I am using 7/8 weight leather with a piece of a old saw blade in the middle with piece of 2/3 weight leather on the inside. It appears that the stem on the snap isn't long enough and isn't securing very well. Are there snaps with a longer stem for use on thicker leather? Although I didn't think what I had used wasn't that thick. Any ideas?

I have the same problem with 9/10 single layer and the standard backs that come with DOT pull the dot snaps. I've compressed the leather in the past by casing it, putting the snap base in place and using a wooden thread spool to hammer the leather just flat enough to get the snap in place.

Hi... something that I've done to accomodate the line 24's on thumbreaks, is to punch a round hole in one layer of the leather that the socket can sit in. It really works well, and totally eliminates the need for extra long shanks on those things. Happy snapping! :)

Kevin/springfield leather

Hi... something that I've done to accomodate the line 24's on thumbreaks, is to punch a round hole in one layer of the leather that the socket can sit in. It really works well, and totally eliminates the need for extra long shanks on those things. Happy snapping! :)

Kevin,

That's what I originally did and wasn't to sure if I should have done that or not. There was no way without doing it that the stem would have had enough poking thru.

After all of this it looks like maybe just a bad snap. I replaced it and it appears to be all good now.

Another thing you can do is go to Wally World, go to their sewing section, . . . tell the lady in glasses that you want to purchase the blue handled snap setting tool that should sell for around $10.00.

It is great for 24 snaps, . . . and even sometimes when it is a bit on the short side, . . . because the way this works, . . . it will compress and make it work for you. Not everytime mind you, . . . but sometimes.

It also puts snaps on so that they don't come off, . . . and I really love that.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight. I shall look that tool up.

BTW, It must be a requirement for the lady in the sewing dept. to have glasses because it sure seems like every wally world has one.

Hi... something that I've done to accomodate the line 24's on thumbreaks, is to punch a round hole in one layer of the leather that the socket can sit in. It really works well, and totally eliminates the need for extra long shanks on those things. Happy snapping! smile.gif

I'm with Kevin on this. The female snap is counter sunk once put together. This also helps in the female snap being out of the way of drawing the gun. I've done this on may holsters and works well.