RoughRider

Looking for a sandbag pattern

Looking for a pattern for a flat sandbag (around 1" tall) with a filler spout that folds into a pocket. I'm wanting something to raise my storebought Protector brand rabbit ear rear sandbag rest when shooting my AK rifle.

RoughRider

How about making a patern?

Cut out some card stock of the shape you want and go from there. Maybe you need something more specific, but the ones I made for weights on my table I used a piece of skirting for the bottom and chap hide for the to rest. (hard and soft)

One is round, one hexigon and the other like a football(lets not go there).

There are 4 pieces. Chap hide(soft)-top bottom and gusset. Skirting-(hard) bottom.

Stitch your top to yout gusset inside out, grain to grain.

Stitch the end of the gusset where it meets itself,also grain to grain and trim.

Turn right side out and tap or work the seams to shape.

For the bottom piece(chap hide) I used a 1/2" half round punch or equivelent and punch near the center of the bottom piece. You will do the same to the heavy bottom but you wont want them to line up when you put the two bottoms together.

Next, run some glue around the outer edge of the soft bottom,(1/4") then the same for the inside edge of the bottom of the gusset, which will be folded over the edge of the bottom. You can pinch the gusset around both sides of the bottom edge as you can see in the pics that you will stitch them to the hard bottom this way.(folding just makes a more finished look)

Now put the bottoms together making sure that the half round punches are not exactly lined up and the rounds facing away from each other. (You will later, after stiching together want to get a funnel spout through the outside opening and into the inside opening)

I would glue the two bottoms together only around the edges, so they will stay in place while you stitch around the outside edge.

You can fill with sand or shot from the bottom. Once the bag is as full as you want it you can use an awl or whatever to close the inside flap then close the outside flap and smack it down on a table or stone and you should have a bag that should not leak yet can later be filled or emptied.

Or you could just take a large(whatever size you like) piece of soft leather fold it in half, inside out, and stitch around the edges leaving an opening just big enough to pull the bag right side out. I would plan the opening to have a couple flaps that extend past the bag. It would look like and work like the big balloons you blow up then stick the part you blew through, inside. Make sence?

Good luck. GH

Shot_Bags3.jpg

Shot_Bags2.jpg

post-5156-1208884620_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1208884638_thumb.jpg

If you're still looking - here is the basics. Go with approximately (2) 6" square pieces with a 2"x2" filler neck, so your actual pieces will be 6"x8". The pocket is about 2"x2.5". Single stitch the pocket onto one piece of leather, then double stitch the larger pieces together. You'll be able to fill the pouch with about 2 cups of whatever you like - I like rice because it's not too heavy, and holds its shape.

283492460_qeJ3z-S.jpg