retrosurfer

Head Knife Manufacturers ?

Out of all the amazing knife-makers that also work in leather for the sheaths who makes a high end custom made head knife. I;m talking high end damascus shield and mammoth ivory handles the works I can't find one anywhere but can't believe there not out their so who makes them and same for other tools like awls who makes the killer custom ones???

Bob Dosier is making custom head knives.......

RetroSurfer (name)???,

Here's some of the ones that I know of. Others can add to the list hopefully. A few of them are deceased or no longer producing them.

Bob Dozier Knives

PO Box 1941

Springdale, AR 72765

Phone: 479-756-0023

Fax: 479-756-9139

Toll Free: 1-888-823-0023

Email: Dozier Knife email

Dozier Knives Website

Ernie Grospitch

18440 Amityville Drive

Orlando, Florida, 32820

Telephone: 1-407-568-5438

Email: Ernie's email

Grospitch website

Lonnie Height

Gomph-Hackbarth Leather Tools

10754 N. Martineau Road

Elfrida, AZ 85610

Phone: 520-642-3891

Fax: 520-642-3891

Hackbarth Tools email

Gomph knives - via Darcy

Duey Peters

P.O. Box 159

407 N. Bluff

Blunt SD 57522

Phone: (605)962-6227

Duey Peters email

Jeremiah Watt

47069 Crump Lane, HC1, Box 34

Coalinga, CA 93210

Phone: 559-935-2172

Fax: 559-935-1021

Cell: 559-355-7948

Jeremiah Watt email

JWatt Round knives

Some argue these are production ones ....

Steve Powers

(719)579-5096

This one came via MarkB

I have seen some of his knifes out of Lee's Cutlery in Arizona w/his fish logo

as well as in Tactical Life/PKA shows (Professional Knifemakers Association)

Bill Buchman - deceased

Danny Marlin - not sure

Others like L.B. Lienemann and Bob Jolly used to make them.

Josh Jolly is now making knives for the RJ Jolly Knives

(no round knives available).

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

Oh....I forgot J. Cook. You'll have to Google his address......or maybe Ben has it.

How about an intro?

For the "damascus" head knife, you would best go to a Tandy and get one. If you want Ivory, you're going to have to do that yourself. A head knife is a serious and difficult piece for pattern welding to start with, unless you want something rather small like a couple of inches tip to tip. Anything of size is going to be a project for a really serious pattern welder, and for the guys I know who can do it, they would have to be interested, in other words, the commission would have to interest them, and $5k would maybe get them started, not saying what it would final out at.

Jeremiah Watt can also "fancy up" his tools, which are darned good (and a little fancy) to start with. Bob Douglas makes the best awl on the planet, but it ain't fancy.

If you want something pseudo-flashy, go get that Tandy thing.

Art

Out of all the amazing knife-makers that also work in leather for the sheaths who makes a high end custom made head knife. I;m talking high end damascus shield and mammoth ivory handles the works I can't find one anywhere but can't believe there not out their so who makes them and same for other tools like awls who makes the killer custom ones???

Is this list still relevant? Are there any others?

It's an older thread but still pretty relevant as far as knife makers go. To add to the list here are two I have bought great knives from:

Knipshield Custom Knives: http://www.knipknives.com

Leather Wranglers: http://www.leatherwranglers.com

My avatar is a knife made for me by IMHO one of the most talented knife makers in the world, Master Blade Smith Bill Burke.

dc2e7c49.jpg

531b4400.jpg

413d10be.jpg

85019ee6.jpg

aa9932e5.jpg

It's an older thread but still pretty relevant as far as knife makers go. To add to the list here are two I have bought great knives from:

Knipshield Custom Knives: http://www.knipknives.com

Leather Wranglers: http://www.leatherwranglers.com

I couldn't agree more with Spinner. I own one of the Leather Wranglers head knives, and I own 3 knives (Chan Geer model, straight trim, curved trim) and one draw guage blade from Terry at Knip Knives. Both Paul and Terry are top notch guys who love doing what they do. Their knives show it, too.

Cody

Here is anothe maker

graycloud-designs.com

I am very pleased with the knife I purchased from Rob.

Joe

My family have been making round knives & head knives for over 160 years

img0134.jpgLeather workers knives

Round knives are the traditional saddlers knife, their curved shape providing greater manoeuvrability and cutting power. The larger sizes are for heavier work.

Head knife is suitable for more awkward work, where the round knife will not fit in. It is particularly suitable for cutting circles or tight curves. Some saddlers use head knife in preference to the round knife

Double head knife has its blade further from the handle than the round knife, giving it more manoeuvrability than the head knife.

Bridle cutters knife the long blade of the bridle cutters knife helps keep it straight when cutting cheeks,etc. The curved end gives it the cutting power.

French pattern knife is similar to the bridle cutters knife but smaller and has more edges.

Paring knife in the saddlery trade are used for cutting thread and paring hard materials down instead of spoiling a best round or head knife.

Fancy paring knife has the same uses as a paring knife but is heavier and can be used for skiving

Shoemaker’s knife the general purpose shoemaker’s knife is good for cutting thread, string, etc

Clicker knives are a shoemaker’s pattern makers tool and have a small, replaceable blade.

Just thought you might like to take a look

www.leather-tools.net

Hi Joseph!

I'm just curious...what kind of steel and heat treatment (how hard are they) are you using for your head/round knives?

Thanks

Terry Knipschield

An old thread, but was searching Google for head knife patterns and stumbled upon it. You can add my name to the list. Materials can be anything you're willing to pay for, and you can drop up to $400 alone on the right mammoth ivory for your handle. I don't recommend pattern welded steel 'damascus' because I'd rather use a high performance powder metallurgy steel. I understand it looks cool, but it's far from your best choice for edge retention. That comment is sure to spark debate, especially with those who make their knives from it or others that drank the kool-aid from them, but it's the truth. You pay more for extra labor, and extra eye candy, not extra performance.

I don't recommend pattern welded steel 'damascus' because I'd rather use a high performance powder metallurgy steel. I understand it looks cool, but it's far from your best choice for edge retention. That comment is sure to spark debate, especially with those who make their knives from it or others that drank the kool-aid from them, but it's the truth. You pay more for extra labor, and extra eye candy, not extra performance.

I have to back you on this. Damascus is really cool, very pretty too. But from the perspective of "I want the best knife to cut with" Damascus is not the best choice.

Aaron