Noah4

How Do I Make A Men's Leather Ring?

I have someone wanting a leather ring. That part I have but how to close it is a mystery to me kinda. The size is men's 8, so she wants it abit smaller as it'll stretch. I thought of 2 small staples??

there is a way to make a ring that is 1 piece with no stitching or staples but I'm not too sure if there is anyone on this forum that knows how to. But if there is I'd like to learn how to also

Damon

Sketch out 2 circles with the same center. The center circle is the size of the ring. The outer ring is the width of the ring times 2 plus the diameter of the inner ring. So id the persons finger measures 1/2", the center circle will be 1/2". And if they want a 1/2" wide ring, the outer ring would need to be 1 1/2" in diameter. Cut out the circles. And fold the ring inward. The ring needs to be wet formed to hold the shape. Hope this helps.

Do I use an garment type leather? I have to read this a few times. I don't quite understand. Lol..

Sketch out 2 circles with the same center. The center circle is the size of the ring. The outer ring is the width of the ring times 2 plus the diameter of the inner ring. So id the persons finger measures 1/2", the center circle will be 1/2". And if they want a 1/2" wide ring, the outer ring would need to be 1 1/2" in diameter. Cut out the circles. And fold the ring inward. The ring needs to be wet formed to hold the shape. Hope this helps.

there is a way to make a ring that is 1 piece with no stitching or staples but I'm not too sure if there is anyone on this forum that knows how to. But if there is I'd like to learn how to also

Damon

There was a post on here a long time ago that showed a one-piece leather ring (or circle) with the grain side out & flesh side in- & it was one piece of leather, no splices. The gist of the post was 'can you figure out how it's done?' Everyone had to guess how to do it, I think :dunno: . Search the posts. It's in there somewhere.

What about a Turks Head or Woven Ring Knot tied in leather cord?

You could just tuck the ends in with a drop of glue.

I've seen them out of gold and/or silver wire.

There are some excellent TH tutorials and more TH jewelery by Loren here as well.

http://www.golden-knots.com/index.html

517.jpg

I've also seen them out of thin Venetian Blind cord with matching braclet.

http://www.khww.net/photogallery.php?photo_id=1660

and again here:

http://www.khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=305&highlight=daughter%26%2339%3Bs+birthday&pid=6365#post_6365

Woven Ring Knot tutorial is here:

http://khww.net/articles.php?article_id=5

640-0686.jpg

Rick

skyout

I don't really have time to search the posts right now, but will later if I have to. If someone comes across it please post the link here.

Those designs are pretty nice sky. Thanks.

I would like to make sure I'm understanding this properly. This person needs a size 8, they think I should make it a 7 as it'll stretch. SO with this method the ring shouldn't really stretch badly right? Also, size 8 is approx. 2 3/8", so is that per your directions and the outside be 6 and something inches? Oh, they want the ring 3/8" wide. Just trying to make sure I understand this all. I was thinking I could use garmet leather and barges cement. You do mean that the circles be cut open in the middle, and both circles be separate? I know, I sound dumb. Lol..But I want to do this as nicely as possible.

Edited by Noah4

I don't really have time to search the posts right now, but will later if I have to. If someone comes across it please post the link here.

Those designs are pretty nice sky. Thanks.

No problem Noah.

Make sure to post some pics of your ring for us!

Rick

skyout

I'd love to post a pic of the ring. But I need more info, maybe pics. What leather to use, etc. I'm sure this is a great way to make this but it doesn't make sense to me. Do I use glue or what? I need to get a nice looking ring done. This woman's Husband is allergic to metals so needs this as a weddiing band.

No problem Noah.

Make sure to post some pics of your ring for us!

Rick

skyout

Here is an experiment I did today, but I don't think it would be nice enough as is for a wedding ring. it might still help:

1. I traced the inside of my ring on the back of 6oz leather.

2. drew a circle slightly smaller and a circle slightly bigger than my tracing, so that the line I traced was dead in the middle and the two new circles were as far apart as I wanted the width of the ring to be.

3. Cut out the O, using scissors for the outside and a chisel for the inside - this made it kinda rough so later I would want to sand it or something

4. wet it

5. twisted it so that the top grain was on the outside and the rough was on the inside. At this step the leather stretches some but not as much as you might expect

6. Squished it flat underneath that 30lb marble slab we use for hammering If I had a wooden dowel the right size, I would have cut a slice off of that to put in the center of it and put the whole thing under the marble

Now I'm going to let it dry, and maybe figure out a way to sand it some before I finish the edges. I might even harden it in hot water so it won't stretch any more.

-----------------------------

Based on how I understand the instructions and my experimenting, here is what I think you can try:

1. You need a core for your ring which you can make following the steps above.

2. Cut out a larger O out of some sort of garment leather and wide enough to wrap all the way around the first O.

3. Wet it and stretch it around the first O so that it becomes the skin of the ring all the way around

4. You might need to peel it up and tack it with cement once it dries?

I have not tried this yet, and maybe I don't understand the first instructions. Good luck and tell us what you end up doing!

Thankyou. I will read this all and try it tomorrow. It's starting to storm abit and I have barn chores to do. Looks like fun.

Here is an experiment I did today, but I don't think it would be nice enough as is for a wedding ring. it might still help:

1. I traced the inside of my ring on the back of 6oz leather.

2. drew a circle slightly smaller and a circle slightly bigger than my tracing, so that the line I traced was dead in the middle and the two new circles were as far apart as I wanted the width of the ring to be.

3. Cut out the O, using scissors for the outside and a chisel for the inside - this made it kinda rough so later I would want to sand it or something

4. wet it

5. twisted it so that the top grain was on the outside and the rough was on the inside. At this step the leather stretches some but not as much as you might expect

6. Squished it flat underneath that 30lb marble slab we use for hammering If I had a wooden dowel the right size, I would have cut a slice off of that to put in the center of it and put the whole thing under the marble

Now I'm going to let it dry, and maybe figure out a way to sand it some before I finish the edges. I might even harden it in hot water so it won't stretch any more.

-----------------------------

Based on how I understand the instructions and my experimenting, here is what I think you can try:

1. You need a core for your ring which you can make following the steps above.

2. Cut out a larger O out of some sort of garment leather and wide enough to wrap all the way around the first O.

3. Wet it and stretch it around the first O so that it becomes the skin of the ring all the way around

4. You might need to peel it up and tack it with cement once it dries?

I have not tried this yet, and maybe I don't understand the first instructions. Good luck and tell us what you end up doing!

Thankyou. I will read this all and try it tomorrow. It's starting to storm abit and I have barn chores to do. Looks like fun.

I just did a search for "ring" and came up with only one thread in 8 pages, but it took forever because I kept getting sidetracked. LOL

I know it won't work for you as it has metal on it, but here's one from 8thsinner that some others may enjoy.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20464&st=0&p=132252&hl=ring&fromsearch=1entry132252

IMG_0234.JPG

One piece cut out like a donut, then wet formed over a mandrel (happened to be my mallet handle). I also used the tapered handle of my edger to help stretch the smaller circle to a larger diameter. There's also a bit of skiving on the flesh side, otherwise one side is drastically thicker than the other.

And yes, I remember someone saying I cheated by doing it on the computer.......<sigh>.

post-5374-126931732295_thumb.jpg

Edited by TwinOaks

Sky I thought of braiding the ring abit bigger than I need and weaving some excess back into to make the size alittle smaller than I need, and glueing it firmly. Wonder if it would hold.

twinoaks that's what I would like to do. Guess I'll have to play with this all today and see what I come up with. I have a month to make it but would really like to surprise them with it much sooner.

I sure appreciate all the help & tips.

IMG_0234.JPG

One piece cut out like a donut, then wet formed over a mandrel (happened to be my mallet handle). I also used the tapered handle of my edger to help stretch the smaller circle to a larger diameter. There's also a bit of skiving on the flesh side, otherwise one side is drastically thicker than the other.

And yes, I remember someone saying I cheated by doing it on the computer.......<sigh>.

Yes- this is what I was talking about in my post about this. Nice job. (although skiving isn't necessary, just a lot of wetting/stretching/molding).

IMG_0234.JPG

Cool, that is basically what I did, and so now I know some of the things I can do to make the one I'm still working on better :D

Or you could try also try my version...

DSC01035-(1).jpg

post-7332-126940993798_thumb.jpg

I had thought about just braiding some thin leather and tucking & glueing the end to the size needed. If I can't get this other method to work guess I'll have to. Thanks..

Or you could try also try my version...

DSC01035-(1).jpg

What about gluing and compressing layers of leather together like when making a knife handle? After gluing, sanding and polishing you would have a surface as hard as wood and nice and shiny and you could simply drill the hole in the center to what ever size you need. And I imagine it wouldn't stretch much if at all due to being "impregnated" with glue.

Noah

Here is a ring that was presented during the 10 minute time trial a couple months ago that uses the wet form technique with two round punches.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=37399&view=findpost&p=231459

Mag246, possibly a good idea, but I don't quite understand. Maybe do a drawing and post it.

Thanks.

What about gluing and compressing layers of leather together like when making a knife handle? After gluing, sanding and polishing you would have a surface as hard as wood and nice and shiny and you could simply drill the hole in the center to what ever size you need. And I imagine it wouldn't stretch much if at all due to being "impregnated" with glue.

Thanks for the tips guys! I am mostly doing machine embroidery right now. But I do work some leather into it now and then.