I've been thinking about getting an Air Brush and was curious about what ones work well for dyeing and highlighting.

I appreciate any help.

What about buffers and wheels?

Thanks, Ray

For really detailed airbrushing you're looking at a very nice quality airbrush (AB). For example, Paashe, Haiwata, etc. For 'general' spraying, such as larger areas or application of finishes, you can get by with "hobby" type ABs. I use the $5-$6 dollar model from harbor freight for big areas or finishes, and my Paashe VL for any detail work. There's a also couple of threads on this very topic that might shed a little more light on the issue.

I've been thinking about getting an Air Brush and was curious about what ones work well for dyeing and highlighting.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks, Ray

Ray, I use the one described by Twin Oaks....about $60 from Harbor Freight...including compressor. The brush itself is not as adjustable as a more expensive one but the quick change feature allows one to change between products and/or colors without the need to clean the brush. A little practice and you can produce quite passable results. Later you can add a more adjustable brush as your abilities and needs progress. The holster was dyed and finished with the rig shown. Mike

029.jpg

001.jpg

Edited by katsass

I appreciate any help.

Thanks, Ray

I'm a little forgetful...as to buffs and wheels. I buff most things by hand with old t-shirts EXCEPT black dyed. In that case I use a soft cotton wheel on a variable speed drill. That should change soon....I'm brewing some vinagaroon as we speak (write). That stuff doesn't bleed, thus eliminating the need to buff. Mike

For really detailed airbrushing you're looking at a very nice quality airbrush (AB). For example, Paashe, Haiwata, etc. For 'general' spraying, such as larger areas or application of finishes, you can get by with "hobby" type ABs. I use the $5-$6 dollar model from harbor freight for big areas or finishes, and my Paashe VL for any detail work. There's a also couple of threads on this very topic that might shed a little more light on the issue.

Thanks for your help!! I got one of the harbor freight brushes and have it working and with some practice I think it'll work fine for the larger areas. I also ordered the Paasche VL

Thanls, Ray

I should have added " don't buy an expensive model on MY recommendation". The Paashe happens to be what I have, but you can get 'as good as' for leather working uses with something like a Badger. I got the Paashe for doing very detailed models, not leather, and it is a bit on the pricey side. Do some research on the different models and what you'll likely be doing..... before deciding. However, to quote Luke : " If you've got it, spend it." (but he was talking about sewing machines)

Ray, I use the one described by Twin Oaks....about $60 from Harbor Freight...including compressor. The brush itself is not as adjustable as a more expensive one but the quick change feature allows one to change between products and/or colors without the need to clean the brush. A little practice and you can produce quite passable results. Later you can add a more adjustable brush as your abilities and needs progress. The holster was dyed and finished with the rig shown. Mike

029.jpg

001.jpg

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the pics and ended up wih the same stuff as you have. I had looked at the harbor freight air brushes but was a bit apprehensive but it seems to work fine.

Thanks, Ray

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday and bought a airbrush/compressor kit. It was $99.00, on sale for $79, and I got an additional 20% off that with a coupon. Ended up paying $64.00. Now I've got to learn to use it. Can someone point me to some of the threads that would be good for learning? I have got to figure out a booth to use it in. My shop is a little cramped 8" X 16'.

Also, while at harbor freight, I bought the vacuum that Denster was talking about in another thread on molding holsters. It was on sale for $59.

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday and bought a airbrush/compressor kit. It was $99.00, on sale for $79, and I got an additional 20% off that with a coupon. Ended up paying $64.00. Now I've got to learn to use it. Can someone point me to some of the threads that would be good for learning? I have got to figure out a booth to use it in. My shop is a little cramped 8" X 16'.

Also, while at harbor freight, I bought the vacuum that Denster was talking about in another thread on molding holsters. It was on sale for $59.

I did the same. Works fine and relatively easy to learn. Bought some paint and practiced a bit on some scrap paper. I was ready to go!

IMG_2653.JPG

post-13859-127120822407_thumb.jpg

On the recommendation of others here, I also picked up the Harbor freight brush. I picked up a nice badger compressor that had a brush only attached to it at a pawn shop for $65 which I thought was a decent deal for a badger.

I could not find just the bottles for the HF brush. I wanted some more so I just ended up buying another brush with the 5 or 6 bottles that come with it. Cheap enough.

For me it was very, very easy. I tried it on a couple pieces of scrap leather. My quality of finish with brown and mahogany skyrocketed immediately. It's almost impossible to make it uneven. I've not tried any two tone work with it yet. It might be a little tougher with the lack of control you might get from a higher quality brush.

I do want to try out the vacuum pump.

Some day I might end up in the black. Maybe. When I have ALL of the tools I need ;)

On the recommendation of others here, I also picked up the Harbor freight brush. I picked up a nice badger compressor that had a brush only attached to it at a pawn shop for $65 which I thought was a decent deal for a badger.

I could not find just the bottles for the HF brush. I wanted some more so I just ended up buying another brush with the 5 or 6 bottles that come with it. Cheap enough.

For me it was very, very easy. I tried it on a couple pieces of scrap leather. My quality of finish with brown and mahogany skyrocketed immediately. It's almost impossible to make it uneven. I've not tried any two tone work with it yet. It might be a little tougher with the lack of control you might get from a higher quality brush.

I do want to try out the vacuum pump.

Some day I might end up in the black. Maybe. When I have ALL of the tools I need wink.gif

Are you using a paint booth? Any ideas on a home built one?

My paint booth was a large cardboard box on top of my mini fridge wink.gif until it warmed up enough that I take three steps outside my sliding door and do it right there outside. That way I don't have to hold my breath :D

Edited by BigRiverLeather

Are you using a paint booth? Any ideas on a home built one?

I googled it and found several ideas up front. Look around, there are many to choose from.

I called HF and they shipped the little bottles to me for $1 each. Hard to beat!

I called HF and they shipped the little bottles to me for $1 each. Hard to beat!

See now - LW ROCKS! I pick up so many little helpful tidbits. Though that was an easy one, to pick up the phone, it's still good to know it can be done. Thanks!