I suppose this subject has been talked to death, but I really miss the Tandy Pro Dye colors. Seems like the Fiebings Browns and Tan have too much red in them. I've been unable to reproduce the Pro Dye Tan, and Dark and Medium Browns. The old Pro Dye Med Brn was a distinctly different color from the Dk Brn.

I dilute the Fiebings down to 50%, but they still just look too dark to me. The Tan has a hideous orangeish tone, and the Light Brown is like a heavily applied British Tan, and I haven't found a way to un-red the colors.

Also, I know many of you have accepted the Eco-Flo dyes, and have learned to work with them, but I find myself avoiding using them. They're hard to apply, and the colors are wierd, and I'm tired of trying to find work-arounds for poor results.

I'm just getting frustrated as I find the colors that I use diminishing to a very few. I once had a great variety of beautifully colored helmets, and now I'm down to maybe four color schemes.

Am I just not listening to the advice I see here?

Sorry, I just had to vent.

Doug

Have you tried the feibings pro oil dyes? In my experience they are far nicer then the feibings regular dyes.

Daggrim have you thought about trying the Angelus Dyes. there is a lot of browns

that you will like, the dark brown has no "red cast" to it..

Edited by Luke Hatley

Daggrim have you thought about trying the Angelus Dyes. there is a lot of browns

that you will like, the dark brown has no "red cast" to it..

Luke, I've heard of Angelus dye and I'm interested in knowing more about it. I found that Springfield Leather carries it in a variety of colors and the price is about the same as the Tandy Cova paint, but in a slightly smaller bottle. How does Angelus compare to something like, say the Fiebings acrylics, which I've used. I am a wholesale member at both Tandy and Springfield, so I know that the price of a bottle will be lower. Let me know anything and everything there is to know, and I'll even take information serious from any one else who chimes in here.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I will indeed try the Fiebing's oil dye, and the Angelus. I've read about both of them on the forum, and now it's time to make a move. My initial post was freaked out, sorry. It was after midnight, after some frustrating hours, and I should've been sleeping instead of trying to work. I was waaay past being rational, and it was waaay past time to take a break.

Doug

MadMax,

I got some Fiebing's oil dye, and it's just right! Dunno why I didn't just try it a year ago. Maybe I was tired of buying bottles of dye on the chance that they'd look right. Anyway, I now have the 3 colors of brown and tan I've been looking for. Thanks much...I'm back up to speed.

Doug

Have you tried the feibings pro oil dyes? In my experience they are far nicer then the feibings regular dyes.

Draggrim.... now that you have found the Good Stuff ,try the Chocolate Oil Dye.

a dark brown no red cast to it.

Edited by Luke Hatley

Good then Daggrim, they are nice to work with.

If you get a chance I would still say try the angelus dyes maybe just get a couple of the small bottles to play with. I prefer the oil dyes but have used the angelus dyes and they work really well also.

Luke I gotta get some more of that chocolate dye, that stuff is great for when I do my edges, its close allmost to black after its burnished but not quiet and looks really good with any type of brown overall project.