Denise

Indexing?

We recently got high(er) speed intenet so I was able to update my computer. So... now it runs much slower than it used to. Anyway, one of the changes is that a little magnifying glass has appeared at the bottom right of the screen. This morning it was flashing so I right clicked and it said it was Windows Indexing. WHAT in the world is indexing and why is it doing it????

Thanks from the "I hate computers, I just want them to work" Denise

....got high(er) speed internet... now it runs much slower than it used to.... a little magnifying glass ....flashing so I right clicked and it said it was Windows Indexing. WHAT in the world is indexing and why is it doing it????

Denise

This may not be much help, but I just opened a 30-pack out on the patio and while I'm waiting for the Quickstop smell of deep fried chicken gizzards to air out of it a little, I had a thought. Maybe since it's a Canadian version of high (er) speed internet, it's having to index all of us Rednecks down here in the States. Since it's not the American version that already has it built-in, it's got to figure out how to converse with those of us that are still using the old slow DSL and "Win-ders". It may take a while to index us all. I'm the one with the two flag poles in the front yard (American Flag lighted at night if somebody doesn't trip over the extension cord), two pickup trucks and a 16-foot carhauler trailer in the driveway (no cars), and a riding lawnmower without a hood on it. Once it figgers out how to translate everything so that we can understand what you're typing on your keyboard, you'll be good to go!

Give it a little time. There's a lot of us Rednecks to index......

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Hmmm. That gives me some ideas. Maybe it is indexing the number of snowflakes yet to melt before the first mosquito comes out... Or the number of trees in our backyard. Or maybe the number of leatherworkers on LW.net. And cataloguing them into the categories of what they make, crosslinking them between categories then figuring out if geographical location affects leather working output... The possibilities are endless!

So why is it MY computer that wants to do these things???

Denise,

Here's a link that will describe and explain the Indexing Service which you most likely installed in one of your updates.

Windows Indexing Service

It will generally speed back up after the indexing service isfinished performing the initial index/catalog. Likewise if SP3 was installed it will likewise slow the system down some as well when you compare it to SP2. Most of that will be due to changes in security and networking features that were added. You can turn off the indexing service if you would like.

Regards,

Ben

Denise, keep going to Windows Update and asking it to check for updates. It may do it several times and need lots of reboots in between. Bleed Windows Updates dry. You need to IE8 if you haven't got it already.

Let it index, it won't hurt anything and your searches will go faster. I'm not going to explain all the details, because you won't care. It will be much faster when it's done.

Make sure you do the same (bleed it for updates) with your security software, too. You now have the power to make lights flicker much farther away than New York.

~J

Johanna, no more updates that I can find. I did update it a couple times over the last 3 years or so. I do have IE 8 already. Do those updates come with the windows ones or do you have to go somewhere else to find them?

Thanks Ben. I don't think I need this since I don't search on my computer much and things are pretty slow. How do I turn it off?

Regarding the computer being slow: On start up, this thing has always, from day one, taken a while to start up (I guess they all do) and the last thing before it is up to full speed is the computer screen goes black for 2 -3 seconds. This would be about 1 -2 minutes after I turned it on. Then it works fine. This is actuallly a replacement computer because the first one of this type that we bought did the same thing. Everyone wondered what was happening but since this one is the same, we (and the store) figured it had something to do with the type of computer and the video card or something like that. Anyway, these last few days it hasn't done the black out thing till it has been on for 5+ minutes. It is taking that long to boot up now. And the programs are taking longer to come up when I start them up too. I have AVG 9.0.791, Adaware 8.2.1 and Malwarebytes 1.44 and they all say everything is OK. Any ideas?

Thanks for the serious answers. More helpful, but not as much fun as CD's.

Denise,

I realize now that I forgot to mention the other reason for letting that 30-pack air out on the patio. I was in the process of making enough room in the beer fridge (Redneck term for the 2nd refrigerator in most Redneck homes) by "getting rid" of the last 30-pack that was in there. It looks like you're getting some good information from some computer savvy folks, so I'll try to keep this brief.

Hmmm...crosslinking them between categories...

The term "crosslinking between categories" can be misinterpreted by those in some circles around these parts (especially when it comes to who's related to who), so I'd kind'a shy away from using that term when talking to Rednecks. No harm done, just an FYI.

...Likewise if SP3 was installed it will likewise slow the system down some as well when you compare it to SP2....

Ben

My Win-ders PC has a 4-speed (SP4), but I seldom cruise around the net in anything higher than second gear (SP2). I don't know, I just like the "laid-back" approach, I guess. As far as I can tell, my 3rd gear (SP3) is faster than my 2nd gear (SP2), but I could be wrong. On some sites (which I really cain't mention here), I slow way down to Granny Gear (SP1) so I don't miss anything (my wife said that I really needed to quit looking at those kind of sites).

Here's hoping you find the speed that you want. (Ooops, I gotta be careful about using the term "find the speed" around here....)

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Edited by cdthayer

CD, Sounds like you are about as computer literate as I am, but you enjoy it more...