tdwarburton

Jj Maxwell Saddle Kits

Hey all I am new to the forum, and relatively new to leather work. I have some experience making belts, wallets, bridles, breastcollars and chaps. It has been a few years since I worked with leather but recently have taken an intrest in saddles. My question is: Has anyone here had any dealing with JJ Maxwell and their saddle kit? What is the quality of the materials like?

Hey all I am new to the forum, and relatively new to leather work. I have some experience making belts, wallets, bridles, breastcollars and chaps. It has been a few years since I worked with leather but recently have taken an intrest in saddles. My question is: Has anyone here had any dealing with JJ Maxwell and their saddle kit? What is the quality of the materials like?

I have had several "kit" saddles come in to the shop for repair and or finish (we dont do that) The trees are always rawlide or fiberglass that is the first way to identify a problem. A saddle should never ever ever ever so on and so fourth have a tree made from these materials. Second the leather seems to be on the thin side and of very poor quality. Among other things it fails to take oil or dyes. If your looking for a pattern and direction there is a great dvd put out by Dusty Johnson. You can get it on his web site. Hope this helps.

I may be wrong but I don't believe that they use Ralide trees in their saddles. Not sure which production trees they use.

If you are serious about their kits then ask a lot of questions about the leather, tree and the manufacturer iof them. Look at their testimonials as well. I personally don't have any experience with their kits...so I can't answer.

However, I would not get a precut kit but there are individuals who are intimidated and want to do that. I would opt for the tools and do-it-myself mode.

I can't say that I agree with the selection of Dusty's tapes/DVDs because there are certainly much better ones out there like Jeremiah's ( Jeremiah Watt at Ranch2Arena). In fact I would put Dusty's towards the lower end. (I have viewed Harwood, Mecum, Gomer's, all 3 of Cheaney's, Adal/Conway, Watt's, Johnson and 5 or 6 others that have various saddlemaking videos).

Regards,

Ben

P.S. There are other threads on the forum that discuss the saddlemaking videos already. Look in the saddle section of the forum.

Edited by gtwister09

I may be wrong but I don't believe that they use Ralide trees in their saddles. Not sure which production trees they use.

If you are serious about their kits then ask a lot of questions about the leather, tree and the manufacturer iof them. Look at their testimonials as well. I personally don't have any experience with their kits...so I can't answer.

However, I would not get a precut kit but there are individuals who are intimidated and want to do that. I would opt for the tools and do-it-myself mode.

I can't say that I agree with the selection of Dusty's tapes/DVDs because there are certainly much better ones out there like Jeremiah's ( Jeremiah Watt at Ranch2Arena). In fact I would put Dusty's towards the lower end. (I have viewed Harwood, Mecum, Gomer's, all 3 of Cheaney's, Adal/Conway, Watt's, Johnson and 5 or 6 others that have various saddlemaking videos).

Regards,

Ben

P.S. There are other threads on the forum that discuss the saddlemaking videos already. Look in the saddle section of the forum.

Ben, Maxwell is using Bowden trees and US tanned leather in his kits.He clicks the pieces and send them with an instruction manual

There you go...Steve gave you some information on the tree maker and the fact that it comes wit an instructional video. You may have to ask more questions about the leather quality, thickness and other components. Thanks Steve! I imagine that they will appreciate any information that they can get.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks, I do appreciate all input. I have decided that I will be ordering this "kit" I am thinking that it will be a great oportunity to learn a little about saddle construction. Unfortunately I can see that it will probably be a slow process, I doubt I will have much time for it untill winter. Regardless I am sure I will be checking in from time to time to ask a few questions and keep you up to date on my progress....thanks again folks!

Trevor

See if you can find some old wore out saddles or something with a broken tree. Then take them apart, make yourself a pattern, replace the tree, replace what needs replacing, fix what needs fixing, keep it, sell it, get another one. Thats how the best saddle maker I know told me he got started, worked good for him.

The saddle kit thing might be OK but don't expect anything high quality. If its cheap enough and you just want to mess around go for it.

As has been stated there are some good books out there on the subject,videos as well. That having been said consider getting a kit such as the one sold by Bowden which has the tree of your choice all the hardware, wool, and two sides of leather. The pieces of the saddle aren't cut out so you are learning layout, cutting, and your first will be to your liking as far as tree style etc. Get some books and videos, maybe do some repairs or take a few old ones apart,then you will have a feel for your subject. Good Luck!

See if you can find some old wore out saddles or something with a broken tree. Then take them apart, make yourself a pattern, replace the tree, replace what needs replacing, fix what needs fixing, keep it, sell it, get another one. Thats how the best saddle maker I know told me he got started, worked good for him.

The saddle kit thing might be OK but don't expect anything high quality. If its cheap enough and you just want to mess around go for it.

I have a question about this process you mentioned above. Are all saddle trees marked in some way that you can identify them for replacement?

I have a question about this process you mentioned above. Are all saddle trees marked in some way that you can identify them for replacement?

Some have marks, others wont. You can measure them up and contact the big tree makers to find something similar. You will have to rebuild some of the parts to make everything fit but say you have a 14 inch association tree, that's pretty generic for most of the parts of a used saddle. I'm not a saddle maker but spent plenty of time around the saddle shops dealing with used saddles and repairs. Maybe some repair guys would have something to add-on replacing trees?