Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

Help With Bellows Restoration

Hey guys need some help, a buddy at work has a old bellows kind of like the ones in this link http://www.fireplacescreenshop.com/fireplace-screen-accessories-bellows.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=bellows&utm_content=Bellows&utm_campaign=Fireplace+Screen+Shop The bellows itself is from around the 1920's - 1930's, sorry dont have a pic of it as cant take pics at where I work. It belonged to his dad I think and was used to fan the fire to say for making sand casts. What I need some help with is what kind of leather did these old guys use? I took a small piece that I will post pics of tonight when I get home. It seems to be about 2oz, reddish brown allmost a brick red color. The stuff is pretty much completely rotten so its hard to tell what it use to be but allmost seems like really thin latigo or something (Im probably way off). Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Found a pic that is as close as Ive scene so far.

Antique_fire_bellows.jpeg

post-5781-126965630948_thumb.jpeg

Edited by MADMAX22

Here is a pic of the piece I took off of it. I know not much to go off of but the best I could do.

resized leather.jpg

post-5781-126966203464_thumb.jpg

I think the old ones were made with veg tan leather, but good luck finding something thin and flexible. You might try book binding leather. I just use the thinnest chap leather I can find.

Good luck,

Kevin

You might try veg tan goat & treat it to remain soft, or use a soft chrome.

Thanks guys. Was scouring the web last night looking for info but didnt come up with anything. Found all kinds of stuff about the wood, history, operation and such but when it comes to the leather they always just say leather.

I will keep the vegtan in mind and maybe look for some calf or something similer then try and find a dye mix to come close to what the color use to be.

I have another question. Does that reddish brown color come from the leather rotting or was it probably originally a dyed leather? Some of the old pictures I have scene almost seem to suggest a nice oiled natural vegtan without dye or a really light coloring. Seems maybe the leather darkens alot as it drys up and rotts but I dont have much experience in helping out with restoration work.

I have another question. Does that reddish brown color come from the leather rotting or was it probably originally a dyed leather? Some of the old pictures I have scene almost seem to suggest a nice oiled natural vegtan without dye or a really light coloring. Seems maybe the leather darkens alot as it drys up and rotts but I dont have much experience in helping out with restoration work.

Not sure, but the color could come from: 1] use, or 2] aging/sun struck, or 3] treated with oil or fats- or all of the above... Regardless, vegtan goat has very tight grain, very flexible... Even softer & more flexible would be vegtan sheep. You can get it from about 2oz - 3-1/2 oz. I'd call Siegel's- they could certainly give a good recommendation as what would be better to use. I'd also suggest you treat it with something- Skidmore's, Pecards, Aussie- whatever. Really, what you want to do with it depends on what you plan for the bellows. If it is to be a truly museum restoration, then you should contact a museum conservator to get recommendations from him/her; if you just want it to be a functional, working piece, approximating the original material, then you have a greater flexibility when it comes to the restoration.

Sounds like red rot.

http://en.wikipedia....t_%28leather%29

Barra

Thanks a bunch, that is exactly what this leather seems to have happened to it. Matches that description to the tee.

Whinewine thanks also, Ill look into some of that stuff. Its primarily a sentimental value since it belonged to this guys grandfather and father and it will probably be somewhat of an ornament once it is restored, however that being said if we are gonna go thru all the work to get back to a good order I want it to be as functional or close to it as it was when the thing was inservice.

Once again really appreciate the help this should get us well on our way.

I've restored many sets of fire bellows, and in my experience it's essential that you use veg-tanned leather. One of the final stages of restoration is to draw the leather into the 'concertina' shape around the internal springs, and for this to work, the leather needs to be thoroughly wetted. Chrome-tanned leather is very difficult to soak, and does not tend to hold its shape when dried in the same way that veg-tanned leather does.

I use 1-1½mm natural calf or 2mm goatskin, depending on the size of the bellows, and I dye it before fitting to the bellows.

If it's any help, I've attached a pdf of the various stages I go through in bellows restorations.

Terry

Bellows3.pdf

Bellows3.pdf

If it's any help, I've attached a pdf of the various stages I go through in bellows restorations.

Terry

Superb PDF, Terry. Very interesting reading.

Ray

Thank you very much Terry. That is gonna come in very useful.

On 3/28/2010 at 11:21 PM, celticleather said:

I've restored many sets of fire bellows, and in my experience it's essential that you use veg-tanned leather. One of the final stages of restoration is to draw the leather into the 'concertina' shape around the internal springs, and for this to work, the leather needs to be thoroughly wetted. Chrome-tanned leather is very difficult to soak, and does not tend to hold its shape when dried in the same way that veg-tanned leather does.

I use 1-1½mm natural calf or 2mm goatskin, depending on the size of the bellows, and I dye it before fitting to the bellows.

Terry

Bellows3.pdfUnavailable

Bellows3.pdfUnavailable

Hi there celticleather - I have just found an old pair of bellows for my husband to restore as a Christmas present - I'd love to be able to give him a copy of your pdf to help him as well if that is possible as he has never tackled anything like this before. Would it be possible to get a copy as the links here are not working.
many thanks Jill W

Rahere,

Second page looked like it was going to work, then said, "Unavailable"......rats!!

I'd sure like a look as well.  I have a bellows like that, 4' long.  A few mouse chews to repair.  It came out of the blacksmith shop on the east end of Main Street in Mt. Horeb, WI, in 1974.  I helped an antique dealer clean out the shop.  Fun times for a soon to be ABANA member, Lumpkin, GA.  I brought home the bellows and cone in a 1967 VW Beetle with the back folded down.  The cone mandrel in the front seat made the car rather lopsided going down the road.

4 hours ago, MikeRock said:

Rahere,

Second page looked like it was going to work, then said, "Unavailable"......rats!!

I'd sure like a look as well.  I have a bellows like that, 4' long.  A few mouse chews to repair.  It came out of the blacksmith shop on the east end of Main Street in Mt. Horeb, WI, in 1974.  I helped an antique dealer clean out the shop.  Fun times for a soon to be ABANA member, Lumpkin, GA.  I brought home the bellows and cone in a 1967 VW Beetle with the back folded down.  The cone mandrel in the front seat made the car rather lopsided going down the road.

it worked for me  i'll trty to put it on here.

Bellows3.pdf

9 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

it worked for me  i'll trty to put it on here.

Bellows3.pdf 1.45 MB · 6 downloads

Awesome Chuck - thanks for doing that it worked for me this time.
Much appreciated :-)

Jill W

I've done the occasional hand held bellows before,( even a bee-smoker )  but love to restore a blacksmiths bellows one day. WOW, what  lovely job that would be eh? 

Bellows Restoration Pics 035.jpg

Bellows Restoration Pics 003.jpg