BearMan

If You Know About The Black Mauls,,,my New Brown Mauls

Hello Everybody,

As most of you know, I've been making tooling Mauls, for quite some time. I've always strived to make Mauls, using only the Best materials available. The White head material I use, I believe is the Best of that type available! Those of you that have one of my Mauls,,, I hope You'd agree. I was fortunate enough to find what I'm sure is the Best Striking head material, of any type, available today! Even though, I knew, this material worked the best,,, I wanted to make sure. It was my Absolute Pleasure, to meet, & talk with the maker, & the Master Tool Maker, that made the One Piece Black Mauls, that a lot of the Master Toolers use. I asked if He'd tell me what he thought of my new maul. After doing a test,,, He said "That's the Stuff"!! As it turns out, it is the same material. I just get mine in a different form than He did. And a differnt color.

My new Mauls, will all have Brown heads,,, & of course, all of the Exotic wood handles. My personal experiance with the new material is, that it extreamly quiet, it has more of a dead blow type of feel, it doesn't ring or ping, it doesn't seem to send tools flying with a mis hit. I personally will never go back to anything else! Here are my first two personal Mauls. One is a 17oz "Grand" style, with a Padauk handle. The other one is a 14 oz "Elite" style with a Madrone Burl handle.

Please let me know what you think,,, I like the Brown color! Ed the"BearMan"

New Maul Material.jpg

New Maul Material2.jpg

Naw Maul Material3.jpg

post-7175-126989114389_thumb.jpg

post-7175-126989116362_thumb.jpg

post-7175-126989122383_thumb.jpg

Darn it your gonna make me order another set of mauls Ed. Great work on these and I think those new handle styles would work out very well.

Oh and I must agree with ya on the white head mauls, they work very well.

Hi Max,

Thanks,,, I think that if you ever get the chance to use a maul made with this ,New to Me, type of material,,, you'd switch too. I used the White Head material for about the past 10 years,,, & I'm switching. Don't get me wrong, the type of the White Head material I've been using, is the very Best of that type of material. I'll probably still make some mauls with the White Heads,,, but after using the Brown stuff,,, that's all I'll be using from now on. I now know why a lot of the Master toolers like the Black Mauls so much!

Thanks Again,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Dang Ed i got to have a set i will be calling can you make a bigger one?

Josh

is the cost the same buddy.

Josh

Awesome Looking Mauls Ed!

Can't wait for the partner to this one. I love the white head, but now you are talking about a "better" head.....WOW!

PurpleHeart with Logo 2.jpg

post-6330-127015122591_thumb.jpg

Ed, let me get through taxes, car inspection, new tires, several vendor fees...

My son has a very nice set he got from you- I'd like to get a brown set for myself- and will, as soon as I'm clear.

Thank you.

russ

Hi Russ & King,,,

This Brown material,,, even though it's more costly,,, is deffinately worth it. I've used it on a couple projects now,,, & have you ever used a tool,,, or driven a different car,, & thought,, Now That the way it should be!! Well,,, That's the way this Brown material feels! Please don't get me wrong,,, IMHO ,,, I believe the white material I use,,, is the Best of that type out there, & I'll probably still make some of those. Sooo,, Whenever "Ya'll" are ready,,, I'd be happy to help. Maybe by then I'll be caught up,,, :o) Ed the"BearMan"

Does it come in a long tube where you can lathe a complete maul? That would be cool though your wood handles are very nice. Don't get me wrong!

Hi King,,,

One problem would be the cost. It could be done like that,,, the cost for just the Brown material would be somewhere around $120.00, plus you'd need to add in the structure, & any weights, & of course, my cap. A maul like that would be close to $200.00. But,,, I wouldn't make any like that, because, I have too much respect for the original maker, to make anything so close to his design,,, I just wont do it!

Just received my two new brown mauls from Ed today, WOW!! I had the pleasure of using Bob Beards maul at one of his classes at Wickenburg 2 years ago just to find out that he no longer made them. What a disappointment that was, and I know a lot of people like me have been wanting them and trying to get Bob to make them. Well here is your chance to get as close as you can. Not only do these mauls react the same and have great balance but they are a work of art to boot. I could not wait to try them as soon as they arrived today. I had a lot of bargrounding to do and what a great feel these have, just what I've been wanting. If you haven't gotten in line for yours yet you better do it soon because as word gets around I'm sure Ed won't be able to keep up with the demand. Ed has photos of mine so maybe he will post them here. And remember you get what you pay for so do yourself a favor and order a least one you won't be sorry. This is not a paid advertisement but just my two cents worth.

Thanks so much Ed. I could not be any happier and Bob will be glad to get me off his back.

Richard Garner

Hide Shop

Hi Richard,

It was a pleasure making those for you. It's so nice to be able to make something, that helps somebody make their art!! Here are the pictures you asked me to post of your mauls. Once again,,, Thanks,, Ed the"BearMan"

Cocobolo Grand pair Richard.jpg

Cocobolo Grand pair Richard 2.jpg

Cocobolo Grand pair Richard 3.jpg

Cocobolo Grand pair Richard 4.jpg

post-7175-127145509454_thumb.jpg

post-7175-127145511418_thumb.jpg

post-7175-127145515628_thumb.jpg

post-7175-127145517974_thumb.jpg

Is the brown material a Poly with a differant density or a differant product altogeather?

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Sorry about taking so long to get back with you. The Brown material is a completely differnt type of material. Ed

Methyl Methacrylate resin or

PolyMethyl Methacrylate with comonomers such as Butyl Acrylate added to increase impact strength.

There are more than 15 brands and formulations starting with Rohm and Haas in the '30s with the name Plexiglas (used for a long time for windshields in aircraft), they were bought out along the way by Dow and Lucite became a name. Others are R-Cast, and Per-Cast, and Perspex. The smallest amount I have ever been able to buy is 55 gal drums, although they would have been a lot happier selling me a tank car load. It is a resin and hardener as I used to get it. Mix up the amount you need and go like hell, it doesn't have much more than 20 min pour time. Not my favorite stuff to work with, but it makes a nice table top. Bubbles can be a problem if you are a little too energetic when mixing.

Altogether, I think buying it precast might be better.

Art

Hi Aaron,

Sorry about taking so long to get back with you. The Brown material is a completely differnt type of material. Ed

Hi Ed,

Love the mauls you have created they are beauties!!! I was wondering what your price ranges from on both the white and the brown mauls? also, as far as handles is there more cost involved when getting multiple colored layers in the handle. Thanks!!