BillinOK

Need Aerostitch Help

I have a reconditioned aerostitch ver. 2 (does not have reverse and has a piston valve on front side for needle return). I have been sewing light skirting from Tandy with it. I bought some 7-8oz from Wicket and Craig and starting sewing with it. I don't know if it's a combination of things I'm doing or what........the presser foot is imprinting pretty hard on the new leather. I have been sewing after I dye and oil things, maybe not waiting long enough for good drying. I tried a test strip without anything on the leather and it did better, but you could lightly see impressions from the foot. I only have one presser foot and that is the standard foot. Is there a way to lighten the presser foot? I did see the nut on top of the presser foot cylinder, but there is little room for any adjustment....if that is what is used to adjust the presser foot. Ideas?

The other problem is the bobbin shuttle. When cycling, I can hear what sounds like binding. I watched the bobbin shuttle as it was sewing, and I could some slight jerking about 1/3 of the way around. When I see the slight jerking, I also hear the binding noise. I disassemblied all the components, cleaned and oiled. It's somewhat better but I still hear and see the binding. Everything feels real slick and no burrs. Before disassembly, it started skipping stitches. After cleaning and oiling, it sewed very good. Also, slowing the machine down to a crawl, makes the noise and binding much more noticeable.

Any ideas?

The leather from Wicket and Craig is great. Much softer than the Tandy I was using. I thought maybe the softer leather was the impression problem.

Edited by BillinOK

Bill

It's the leather. I have the same thing with my aerostitch. No marks with Hermann Oak (very firm) others more or less marks. I sew before oiling and just lightly case the stitchline and tap the stitches with my cobblers hammer. Closes the stitches and removes the marks. Tippmann sells an aftermarket valve you can install to make the presser foot pressure variable.

On the other I think I'd call Tippmann and ask to speak to one of their service reps. Nice people and they can talk you through what to look for.

Contacted Tippman today and talked to Tom. He was very helpful and walked me through a couple things. Ended up, he thought the shuttle retainer may be the problem. So I ordered that to start with. Too scared to use the machine for now. It's really binding.

Dennis, I talked to him about the presser foot. He said at one time they came out with the valve, but it caused other problems with the leather moving around. He suggested keeping the foot highly polished, and then rub out the marks. I may get a cobblers hammer like you have and try that.

Bill

Bill,

For the foot marks feel free to sand/grind the corners of the foot so they are more wounded and polish the rounded corners. The foot is not involved in moving the leather, so it doesn't need the full footprint to achieve the pressure required to hold the work. There is a smaller foot available as well with a narrow slot so it is narrower than the standard foot you have. You might get one of those as well and then round the corners and you should be good to go after that.

Cheers,

Henry

Contacted Tippman today and talked to Tom. He was very helpful and walked me through a couple things. Ended up, he thought the shuttle retainer may be the problem. So I ordered that to start with. Too scared to use the machine for now. It's really binding.

Dennis, I talked to him about the presser foot. He said at one time they came out with the valve, but it caused other problems with the leather moving around. He suggested keeping the foot highly polished, and then rub out the marks. I may get a cobblers hammer like you have and try that.

Bill