Huntet02

New Wade Saddle Got Me Bucked Off All Weekend

This is a good example of what I explained earlier..... Dry spots are caused by pressure points, not by the absence of pressure. Adding shims simply increased the pressure increasing the size and intensity of the existing pressure point. Also resulting in negative performance from the horse.

Keith

Finally got some answers. Took my saddle/horse to my local saddle maker he said right away this saddle was too small in the gullett just like he had thought; he had already measured the gullet with my husband while I was still getting my horse untied and he said this gullet measured 6" finished so he told me to not even bother getting my horse out he just looked at her front and back and knew.

I told him about the pressure point under the leather strings/concho he felt it and said he was sure some thread was knotted up inside there pretty good which could be easily fixed. He said I needed a 6 3/4, finished 6 5/8 he said he didn't understand why a lot of reputable saddle makers were making saddles with these smaller gullets but in his business he goes by what the true Flint Hills cowboys ride in all day long as they are his bread and butter and they want a gullet at least 6 3/4 to fit a larger variety of horses.

Ok so aren't

Regular quarter horse bars: 5 3/4"

Semi-quarter horse bars: 6"

Full quarter horse bars: 6 1/4" to 6 1/2"

Extra-wide quarter horse bars: 6 3/4" to 7"

I found a nice used Martin Wade that was the gullet size I needed but he woudn't take mine in on trade said my saddle wasn't worth much to him as it wouldn't fit much but smaller horses...

So everyone thats were I'm at ~ No saddle~ I couldn't even afford most of his used wade saddles they ran so close to $3 and they looked used up and we just couldn't justify spending that on a used. We had really thought this Teskeys was a decent start for me to get into a Wade, we really loved the quality of leather in the saddle, it truly was a great looking and functional saddle for the most part. So me and my husband feel like returning it and seeing what they offer is our only option, we don't have any smaller horses to use on. Hoping and praying I don't lose a small fortune to Teskeys not sure what the manager will give me back since its now used. Hoping to appeal to the saddle manager about the skivving problem. I will lose money but guess I had to learn my lesson the hard way- LOL I thought I was done learning things the hard way after I got grey hair......ha

I wanted to tell every one thank you again for your help and support. You are a great bunch and in getting to know each of you and reviewing you websites I realize what a talented group I was talking with, I have been privileged to get your help. THANK YOU

04182010 020.jpg

post-14384-127164456948_thumb.jpg

Edited by Huntet02

Huntet..........I'm sorry that I was not able to take a look at your saddle / horse when you called the other day. Before you make any further decisions, would you please give me another phone call. JW

Huntet..........I'm sorry that I was not able to take a look at your saddle / horse when you called the other day. Before you make any further decisions, would you please give me another phone call. JW

tried to call you will try tommarrow...HUntet02

Edited by Huntet02

Based on the pic that you posted of the gullet and tape measure, The front gullet width is wide enough for most large size horses. The back gullet width, or the width of the bars inside the hand hole, is more critical, and cannot be seen in this pic. The saddler that you saw is in error regarding his blanket statements about gullet dimensions and horse fit, and not even evaluating your horse. 1/4" larger or smaller in the front gullet width is not a deal breaker, and in fact has very little affect in the final result. His desire to start with a 6 3/4" and finish 6 5/8"only allows for 1/16" of leather on each side. All skirts are thicker than that.

Your thought regarding specific dimensions applying to regular, semi, and full quarter horses is also in error. Unfortunately, there is not industry standard, and remember... all trees are not shaped equally, and all treemakers do things differently! Gullet width has no bearing on bar angle and that is the primary difference between different builds of horses.

This saddler gave you a false sense of despair. There are many ways to make this saddle fit acceptably on your horse. Do not lose hope, all is not yet lost. You would do well to talk to someone better qualified to help you understand your options. Talk to JW, or you may call me as well if you wish. My work phone is 307-587-1200.

Keith

Based on the pic that you posted of the gullet and tape measure, The front gullet width is wide enough for most large size horses. The back gullet width, or the width of the bars inside the hand hole, is more critical, and cannot be seen in this pic. The saddler that you saw is in error regarding his blanket statements about gullet dimensions and horse fit, and not even evaluating your horse. 1/4" larger or smaller in the front gullet width is not a deal breaker, and in fact has very little affect in the final result. His desire to start with a 6 3/4" and finish 6 5/8"only allows for 1/16" of leather on each side. All skirts are thicker than that.

Your thought regarding specific dimensions applying to regular, semi, and full quarter horses is also in error. Unfortunately, there is not industry standard, and remember... all trees are not shaped equally, and all treemakers do things differently! Gullet width has no bearing on bar angle and that is the primary difference between different builds of horses.

This saddler gave you a false sense of despair. There are many ways to make this saddle fit acceptably on your horse. Do not lose hope, all is not yet lost. You would do well to talk to someone better qualified to help you understand your options. Talk to JW, or you may call me as well if you wish. My work phone is 307-587-1200.

Ok WOW I feel really ignorant--shared all youve said w/my husband asked him if saddler said anything to him about the back gullet or width of bars inside hand hole he said "No he only measured the outside concho to concho the same as he did in this picture". He thinks since I didn't buy it from him why should he care. Well I trusted him to give me fair saddlery advise!!!

My cousin about undid my saddle at stockshow this weekend trying to see what that pressue point was. He thinks its a ball of thread balled up behind the strings/conch I said do not take it apart I need to return it.

Keith

Edited by Huntet02

Huntet02,

First---Your not ignorant in not knowing all the ins and outs of your saddle and saddle tree. You buy a saddle to ride and enjoy not to build one!

Second--- The way I see it, you've had a string of bad luck and maybe some questionable decisions. Shoulda--coulda--woulda, we have all been there.

Third--- Keith Seidel was right on target with his comment's of the saddle maker you took your horse and rig to. Wow--- you take the time and energy to

load your horse to show--he in turn makes off the cuff statements without first looking at the horse out of the trailer, not putting the saddle on the horse

and cinching up and finally--not having you sit in the saddle. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

This is a great forum--I think to share Ideas, thoughts, knowledge, experiences and maybe opinions. So--------- my thought and maybe opinion for what it is

worth is sell the saddle back to the saddle company at a loss, chalk it up to a learned experience and press on.

Get back to you riding your horse-- Spring is here! life is to short! Save your pennies and get a great saddle from the likes of Seidel, JW Wright or any of the

great Makers from this forum who will back their product with pride and professionalism.

Ok let me have it. Sage

Don't feel bad about not knowing that the gullet's not the only measure - I think most people believe that, including those who work, and even own, tack stores. I've heard stories of sales clerks telling customers that semi-quarter horse bars are for horses that only have a little bit of quarter horse in them! I've learned most of what I know about western saddle fit here on this site. And still, I don't know much!

Good luck figuring out what to do.

Edited by Traveller

Don't feel bad about not knowing that the gullet's not the only measure - I think most people believe that, including those who work, and even own, tack stores. I've heard stories of sales clerks telling customers that semi-quarter horse bars are for horses that only have a little bit of quarter horse in them! I've learned most of what I know about western saddle fit here on this site. And still, I don't know much!

Good luck figuring out what to do.

[/q

Here's the one borrowed saddle

100_2504.JPG

042110 001.jpg

042110 002.jpg

042110 006.jpg

042110 010.jpg

042110 014.jpg

post-14384-127204329743_thumb.jpg

post-14384-127204329884_thumb.jpg

post-14384-127204330053_thumb.jpg

post-14384-127204332524_thumb.jpg

post-14384-127204378636_thumb.jpg

post-14384-127204380869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Huntet02

Hi Huntet02,

I just have to ask--------------- What was the end result?

I hope it turned out well. Billy

Its OK to ask I should have given everyone better closure.....

Ended up taking my horse and saddle to JW Wright, excellent saddle-maker on here, he said there was nothing truly "wrong" with my saddle and the fit on my mare; nothing that should have caused me serious problems. He agreed that I could have a better hand-made saddle but lots of folks like me had to start somewhere and did just fine with a lot worse off saddles. His opinion was there was nothing wrong with that saddle or its fit on my mare.

Here's what I believe happened....the problem lying in my placement of the saddle on her back (since I was not used to the different rigging) along with my 1/2" Five-star saddle pad that I believe was pushed out the back of the saddle from too much pressure in the front. The saddle pad came out the back, things tightened, loaded her down in front, tightened her up in back causing wild western combustion twice!!!

4-8 weeks after all this my finger was still in splint, my cousin offered to sell me his blue roan that I've wanted for years so I sold everything I had to get her including that saddle back to Teskeys. Now I would most certainly buy from them again their mgr was pretty fair to me, they gave me very good price with the help of me mentioning this board and the small knot protruding underneath the wool.

My life is very blessed....I have a calm, young, ranchey horse that I can throw a loop anywhich way I need to from, learning ranch roping and doing what I truly love ~ only 1 small drawback...I am "saddle-less" (is this ironic or what?) but making due and borrowing a good-quality one. Thats the way life works, when a good horse comes along you gotta do what ever you can to make em yours and thats what I did, I literally sold everything I had to get her but its all uphill from here.

I have really learned a lot and progressed so much since April. And "saving" is my middle name saving to buy myself a quality wade this time feeling much smarter and educated thanks to all the generous folks on this board.....

Here's a pic of me and my new mare........thanks again to all of you who helped me learn

Hi Huntet02,

I just have to ask--------------- What was the end result?

I hope it turned out well. Billy

post-14384-017473200 1283036518_thumb.jp