Sign in to follow this  

I do a lot of painting with Angelus and also regular acrylic paint, but I also dye the leather underneath. I am now using Fiebings oil dye which I find I can get a nice finish with, although there aren't too many colors. I have regular Fiebings spirit dyes, but I have never liked the way they look, too watery, at least the way I tried them. So my question is, what is the difference between oil dye, and spirit dye. I tried some Tandy products, but they lifted off way too easily. At least how I was using them.

Background is that I am a painter and do a lot of dog collars like this one.DSCN1839.JPG

post-2368-127049725184_thumb.jpg

I do a lot of painting with Angelus and also regular acrylic paint, but I also dye the leather underneath. I am now using Fiebings oil dye which I find I can get a nice finish with, although there aren't too many colors. I have regular Fiebings spirit dyes, but I have never liked the way they look, too watery, at least the way I tried them. So my question is, what is the difference between oil dye, and spirit dye. I tried some Tandy products, but they lifted off way too easily. At least how I was using them.

Background is that I am a painter and do a lot of dog collars like this one.DSCN1839.JPG

I am no expert on this, in fact, I'm a very bad person when it comes to putting color on leather; but I think I can answer your question. From what I've read, the Fiebings oil dye can be cleaned up with water. It can also be thinned with water just like an acrylic paint. The spirit dye needs to be cleaned with denatured alcohol, not water. I've always found the spirit dyes to be too bright and have always thinned them down with the alcohol with about a 50/50 ratio or more, depending on the hue I'm looking for.

I've not really tried the new Tandy acrylic, but have heard that you must "set" the color for 24 hours before applying a finish. It is also recommended to use a spray of some sorts, like an airbrush or something like Leather Sheen, which I use a lot. This way the color will not come off as easily. Hope this helps. I've found the best way to try something out is to experiment on a piece of scrap leather, from the same piece that you are currently working on.

No the difference is not that one is water soluble and the other alcohol(spirit) soluble - both in fact require alcohol/spirits to thin, clean, etc..

The Oil dye (which according to the MSDS has no oil in it that I can decipher) is an improved version of the older/original Spirit dye per teh Fiebing's own description - the improvement apparently being "better" ingredients.

IMO try both and see which you prefer - one limiting factor being that the Oil dye is offered in a limited number of colors.

No the difference is not that one is water soluble and the other alcohol(spirit) soluble - both in fact require alcohol/spirits to thin, clean, etc..

The Oil dye (which according to the MSDS has no oil in it that I can decipher) is an improved version of the older/original Spirit dye per teh Fiebing's own description - the improvement apparently being "better" ingredients.

IMO try both and see which you prefer - one limiting factor being that the Oil dye is offered in a limited number of colors.

I stand corrected. I checked the pamphlet that Fiebings put out about their dye and you are right. The oil dye is not water based, but needs to be cleaned with alcohol. Why they say it's oil dye is not mentioned. Sorry for the mistake I made, but like I said, I'm no expert.

LAPat, 

those photos look great, I’m currently attempting a similar project, with lots of acrylic paint, I would love to get any info you have on how you made sure the leather didn’t crack underneath your paints, as it appears you use quite a bit. Thanks again lmk.

regards 

BN

As stated above, Fiebings leather dye and oil dye (now called Pro Dye) are both alcohol based.  The pigment in the Pro Dye has been changed to resist rub off, and the difference is significant in my experience.  I think there are quite a few colors of Pro Dye available.  Another interesting dye is Fenice Colorfast (sold by Campbell Randall) and the related dye Fenice Diamond Waterstain (sold by Springfield Leather).  These are water based dyes with added waxes.  They produce good coverage and seal up the leather.  I use the dark brown Colorfast fairly often when matching color for tack repairs.