frank207

Small Drawstring Deerskin Pouches?

Hi,

I would like to make a few of these pouches so I bought some deerskin type leather (not real deerskin), but I have some questions:

1) What would be the best way to come up with a pattern or where could I find one?

2) I don't have a sewing machine and have been doing my stitching by hand on 2/3 & 8/9 oz. leather. This deerskin type leather is very soft and does not seem to lend itself to a groover and stitching wheel as the leather tends to bunch up. Any suggestions around these issues?

3) Is the sewing done with the pouch insideout?

4) Is it easier/better to have one piece and sew two sides of have two pieces to sew together?

Thanks

Frank

Hi,

I would like to make a few of these pouches so I bought some deerskin type leather (not real deerskin), but I have some questions:

1) What would be the best way to come up with a pattern or where could I find one?

2) I don't have a sewing machine and have been doing my stitching by hand on 2/3 & 8/9 oz. leather. This deerskin type leather is very soft and does not seem to lend itself to a groover and stitching wheel as the leather tends to bunch up. Any suggestions around these issues?

3) Is the sewing done with the pouch insideout?

4) Is it easier/better to have one piece and sew two sides of have two pieces to sew together?

Thanks

Frank

1. A simple inward-tapered-mouth bag would be most easiest to make. Make a rectangle with a slight Trapezoid shape...say...4" across the top and 6" across the bottom times whatever height you want. Cut 2 [one front, one back]. Fold the top 1" on each half and stitch to make the pocket for the thong/drawstring closure. Lay the outsides together and sew inside out. Trim and turn right side in.

2. Deer skin/replica doesn't need a groover. Use an Awl punch to make your stitching holes and Whip Stitch the seam.

3. That's how I make my Sporrans [search my "Rob Roy" thread].

4. Usually...but it depends on what you want the bag/pouch to look like when done. Only you can decide that.

Edited by druid

1. A simple inward-tapered-mouth bag would be most easiest to make. Make a rectangle with a slight Trapezoid shape...say...4" across the top and 6" across the bottom times whatever height you want. Cut 2 [one front, one back]. Fold the top 1" on each half and stitch to make the pocket for the thong/drawstring closure. Lay the outsides together and sew inside out. Trim and turn right side in.

2. Deer skin/replica doesn't need a groover. Use an Awl punch to make your stitching holes and Whip Stitch the seam.

3. That's how I make my Sporrans [search my "Rob Roy" thread].

4. Usually...but it depends on what you want the bag/pouch to look like when done. Only you can decide that.

There is also a particular punch that has a disk with 5 different sized holes that is particularly suited for very soft leathers (I call it 'the Starship Enterprise' because it looks like the Enterprise (except the disk is at the bottom instead of at the top). If you want to punch holes instead of using an awl, it's decent. Tandy sells them & they are found throughout ebay. I don't remember exactly what it is called, though.

I seem to remember a special punch made for deer hide like materials. Now if I could remember where I saw it.

SkipJ

They are listed on ebay. The number of this particular ebay item is: # 320511378779.

Well, I have a similar punch and while it's a decent one...IMO puts too big a hole in thinner leathers like pig and deerskins. I mean if you are going to use Latigo Lace or similar, that's ok...or you can use a chisel thing at a minimum.

If you are going to hide the seams inside with a common/waxed thread stitch, I think the hand awl would be a better solution.

Light leather punch

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/3229-00.aspx?feature=Product_14&kw=punch

Thonging Chisel

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/3052-00.aspx?feature=Product_10&kw=punch

Edited by druid